Ok so i really want a Mesa Boogie dual rectifier but i need to save money for a car so i need a cheaper alternative. I was thinking about getting a Marshall Jcm 900 or 2000 with cab from ebay but then i remembered about the Orange Dual terror's, how are they for metal?
Guitars

ESP Eclipse CTM 1
Fender Stratocaster Classic Player
Fender Mustang
Fender Jagstang
What about a b-52 ? It's supposed to be a decently priced high gain tube amp. Also Marshalls and Oranges will be miles differnt from Mesas.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Completely different sounding amps. Both will do metal at about the same level though.

B-52's are called the poor man's Mesa but have nowhere near the tone. I'd advise getting a low-mid range tube amp that can handle hard rock/metal and maybe look into putting a TubeScreamer or MaxonOD808 in front of it for lead tones. Then you can keep that for practice and get a Mesa later.

Just seems unfortunate that you have to settle for a midrange tube amp when you want something like a Mesa so bad. I'd really save my money for the Mesa and sub a small 1x12 combo for the time being (unless you have to gig).
Last edited by MarcoWasRight at Jul 14, 2009,
I wouldn't really pick either of those for metal if you wanted a Rectifier since they're both British. I would look into a VHT Deliverance, ENGL Fireball, or Carvin V3.
Quote by MarcoWasRight
Completely different sounding amps. Both will do metal at about the same level though.

B-52's are called the poor man's Mesa but have nowhere near the tone. I'd advise getting a low-mid range tube amp that can handle hard rock/metal and maybe look into putting a TubeScreamer or MaxonOD808 in front of it for lead tones. Then you can keep that for practice and get a Mesa later.

Just seems unfortunate that you have to settle for a midrange tube amp when you want something like a Mesa so bad. I'd really save my money for the Mesa and sub a small 1x12 combo for the time being (unless you have to gig).

I know I'm not going to get the Mesa tone from the Marshall but i need a amp desperately lol i was going to get a decent OD pedal and crank it. What combo would you suggest?
Guitars

ESP Eclipse CTM 1
Fender Stratocaster Classic Player
Fender Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Quote by Gimme Danger
I know I'm not going to get the Mesa tone from the Marshall but i need a amp desperately lol i was going to get a decent OD pedal and crank it. What combo would you suggest?

Play a Valve King combo, various B-52's, and some Peavey's like the 6505 combo. The Valve King is probably the cheapest but with a good OD or Distortion pedal in front of it, I think it will work fine for the time being. The Peavey's are actually up there closer to the Marshall in terms of price but most models have good clean channels and good "classic" distortion. Don't expect to get that Moden Gain sound like you can from a Mesa on Channel 3 (for the Dual and Triple Rec Heads, Channel 4 for Roadsters Road King).

Have you tried the Mesa Express combos. I spent about 20 minutes on one and while I would say its definitley a step down from the Rectifiers and Roadster, put a good OD pedal in front of it and you'll have that metal tone.

Take JELIFISH's advice too, although some of those amps are a bit harder to find.

I should also say I'm no Marshall fanboy. Not quite a hater but there's something about the tone that bothers me because it's missing a certain amount of definition.
My advice would be to get a Marshall. I've played on both kinds of amps, and I absolutely LOVE the tone that you get for metal and classic rock on a Marshall. I'm not really sure WHY it has such a great tone, but I love it, and i would definitely recommend one to you.
I respect marshall a lot for their high gain tones, but I feel that an Orange amp (such as the Rockoverb) would suit your needs better.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by MarcoWasRight
Play a Valve King combo, various B-52's, and some Peavey's like the 6505 combo. The Valve King is probably the cheapest but with a good OD or Distortion pedal in front of it, I think it will work fine for the time being. The Peavey's are actually up there closer to the Marshall in terms of price but most models have good clean channels and good "classic" distortion. Don't expect to get that Moden Gain sound like you can from a Mesa on Channel 3 (for the Dual and Triple Rec Heads, Channel 4 for Roadsters Road King).

Have you tried the Mesa Express combos. I spent about 20 minutes on one and while I would say its definitley a step down from the Rectifiers and Roadster, put a good OD pedal in front of it and you'll have that metal tone.

Take JELIFISH's advice too, although some of those amps are a bit harder to find.

I should also say I'm no Marshall fanboy. Not quite a hater but there's something about the tone that bothers me because it's missing a certain amount of definition.

Mesa Express arn't that great. Also at that price new, you'll be mad not to buy a used mesa.
Peavey Valvekings are also a low end valve amp, and don't sound 'that' great.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I'd say Marshall, but not the 900 or the 2000, I'd go with the JCM-800 with an overdrive (Ibanez Tube Screamer, etc) in front of it. Even though it won't sound anything like a rec, which is a good thing IMO.
Quote by silly hats
Mesa Express arn't that great. Also at that price new, you'll be mad not to buy a used mesa.
Peavey Valvekings are also a low end valve amp, and don't sound 'that' great.

d a
If he doesn't mind going used then he can get a 1x12 5:50 for around $1,000. There's no way you'll be able to get a used Mesa cab and Rectifier head for that much. Roadsters might be closer to $1500 used if I remember correctly.

This all begs the question, OP do you want a combo or head? If your looking for a head, this could really expand your options budget wise.

I really don't think the ValveKing is that bad. Decent cleans and a good distortion tone for rhythm. He can put an OD pedal in front of it and then have a a clean, rhythm and lead tone. If you want to test the waters of tube amps, I think the ValveKing is a good way without having to dump serious cash.

I'm still going to HIGHLY recommend you check out the 6505. It's not for everyone but I think it's tone is beyond anything in that price range. I just don't see the point in getting a Marshall because it'll never be like a Mesa.

If the Dual Terror interests you (never played one) then you should try to find a Rockerverb to try. Most people don't believe this but Jim Root of Slipknot/Stone Sour is currently running his Tele with an EMG 81/60 combo into Rockerverb 100 heads with a few effects live. He may still be using a Maxon OD pedal for leads but Guitar World did a video interview with him going through his rig and his Rockerverbs are the core of his tone. His used a Diezel and a Bogner during recording for some parts but the Rockerverb definitely has enough gain.

I could ramble on for far too long about this. Either way my opinion will end up something like don't get a Marshall, get a decent tube amp now like a ValveKing/6505/B-52 AT-100 until you can afford something around $2K. That's when you need to try out some Bogners, VHT's, all the high gain Mesas and a Rockerverb at the very least.
I don't know if all marshalls are like this, but when i cranked up the gain on a JVM it got supper muddy and the harmonic response was crap.

I'd recommend you just get the 6505 combo. There's a 2x12 one that's about $1,300 or the new 1x12 model is coming out in october for about $650
Go for either a marshall dsl401 combo or an orange rocker30 combo.

Both have great detail in their tone. And using a tubescreamer to improve the drive will work well
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Regardless if you want a combo or head look into the V3. Its a really versatile, great amp. I've had mine since 2005 and I have no complaints. They lowered the price a decent amount since I bought it and its a great deal.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I wouldn't really pick either of those for metal if you wanted a Rectifier since they're both British. I would look into a VHT Deliverance, ENGL Fireball, or Carvin V3.

so just because an amp's british it cant do metal? please grow a brain, coountless metal bands have used marshalls over the years.
I never said Marshall and Oranges can't do metal. They're just very different from Mesas. They have very different gain structures. I was just making sure that the TS was aware that other great companies besides Marshall, Mesa, and Orange exist for high-gain tones. The reason you buy a Mesa is because it does things that a Marshall and Orange won't do. They won't even come close. But the ENGL and VHT (Fryette) can deliver Rectifier qualities and improve (or detract depending on how you look at it) certain aspects. A Marshall or an Orange is a terrible Rectifier substitute.

And to actually add to the discussion, I would also recommend looking at the Peavey 6505 (5150) or the 3120 (XXX).