Hello ive been playing ( a long time) i know how to play, im actually very good but when it comes other stuff then technique its really hard for me to understand. I have a slightly hard inlearning and i beg to you on UG to help me to end this missery, i do not understand stuff like scales, and such. I can play minor pentatonic scale but i dont know how to use it (it sound silly and it is )
Im not 100% sure how to use the scale, i know that it fits in songs, i can sometimes hear on songs that i can play with the song with my scales.

What is scales for? is my question. Another question i have been wondering for so long is, how do i know that a chord fits the scale?

Please help me so i can understand what you all mean when you write stuff here on UG.
I wish so much to be able to make songs a little easier.

//Flingz
I just posted something about this actually just memorize your notes well around the neck. Don't worry so much about understanding them completely right now. But you should check out some of the lessons on scales to become more familiar with them but okay think of it this way the scale is going to begin at c if you are using a c major scale so its going to go like this C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C so basically the first degree chord you would want the C,E,G the 1st 3rd and 5th. For second degree you could omit the C and pretend the D is the first note and then the second degree chord would be D,F,A. I hope this helps if you still aren't sure feel free to ask about what you don't understand.
Quote by shoottheofficer
I just posted something about this actually just memorize your notes well around the neck. Don't worry so much about understanding them completely right now. But you should check out some of the lessons on scales to become more familiar with them but okay think of it this way the scale is going to begin at c if you are using a c major scale so its going to go like this C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C so basically the first degree chord you would want the C,E,G the 1st 3rd and 5th. For second degree you could omit the C and pretend the D is the first note and then the second degree chord would be D,F,A. I hope this helps if you still aren't sure feel free to ask about what you don't understand.

Im sorry, i dont understand really What do you mean that if i go with c major scale its going to go "C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C" ? im sorry it feels like im starting over on the guitar again
Well okay the C major scale starts on the note c and there is a pattern for the major scale as well as all scales. The major scale pattern is like so. Whole step as in C to D is a whole step, then another whole step which would make you end up on E then a half step which makes you end up on F then another whole step so now your at G another whole step so now you're at A then another whole step so your at B now then a half step so your now back to C. So the pattern for a major scale would be whole,whole,half,whole,whole,whole,half. This will work for any major scale so if you want to play an A major for example follow the same pattern. As for chord construction from scales to form the basic chord in the key of the scales you would take the first note "C" the third note E and the 5th note G to for C major chord. The root note is always the first note of the scale.
Last edited by shoottheofficer at Jul 14, 2009,
You need to learn about chord construction and some other basic theory if you already don't.

this lesson worked well for me.

Basically chords are made up of scale notes, and so those notes and intervals will represent a particular scale or a few scales usually. For example a basic major chord will have the intervals of a root, a major 3rd and a perfect 5th. Your standard major scale can be used over that chord because it shares the same root, major 3rd and perfect 5th intervals. In the same way a mixolydian scale can be used over it as it contains those intervals too.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Easiest way to use a scale is to just use the notes from that scale in an improv or writing a song. This means that if you are using C Major, you will just use the notes C D E F G A B for that improv, or if you're writing a song all the chords and melody will be composed of the notes C D E F G A B.

You can use notes that are not in the scale, bu they'd normally be used as passing notes - kind of just filling the gaps to link two scale notes, and they wouldn't normally be on the strong beats.

If you are improvising with the minor pentatonic, that means you use the notes of the minor pentatonic in whatever key matches the chord prog - you can play the notes in any order you like, you can start on whatever note you like, but you'd basically just use those notes - so if you are using A minor pentatonic you'd just use the notes A C D E G