Hey, ok, so I've been playing guitar for only about a year now, so I should expect this sorta thing yes. It's still discouraging though.
But what I'd like to know from the knowledgeable people here is what can I do to improve?? I don't want an "everything" answer because I know that I have improved abit since I started. But for the past few months, I've been trying to play this song called "Butterfly", it's originally japanese and so I play a lead that replaces the vocals. But no matter how I try I can't seem to find the sound of the guitar....it sounds like a horn or something...
Also, I think the original song has three guitarists in it. Can't be sure because theres no info on the actual band and no tabs that go through it all the way.
The song isn't metal or a really hard shredder song, so I figured I could possibly do it.

So I uploaded my version of the song here to my profile...please ignore the other two..they suck much worse.
I'm starting to hate this program Garageband, although it's letting me put rhythm tracks and lead tracks together, it took 3 hours to do so because I dont know how to use it I guess, and also it ruined the quality at the end...just made it blend into a wall of sound.

There ARE some mistakes, but I'm not really worried about that as much as the sound.

So, my two questions.

1. How would I get the closest to the sound of the original...what kind of effects/guitar/amp, etc is being used? Are there really 3 guitars you think?

2. How the hell do you use Garageband more efficiently to put together songs!? My amp sounds a lot better. Probably just the speakers of the laptop.

Please show me how I can improve, but dont be a troll about it

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Sy_B/music/all/play656978

Thanks!

Edit: The original song is in the description of my cover for comparison.
I didn't read the thread but i'm just gonna say it's because you think you suck which makes you unmotivated which makes you think you suck more.
edit: just read the thread and listened to your clips. You don't suck your just progressing more slowly then you want. Also garage band is trickey to use it's hard to understand.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by gstacey1 at Jul 14, 2009,
Hey thanks its good knowing I don't suck anymore XD but see the thing is I want to start this band with my friends and I just figured that garageband was the best way to put together songs. Do you know of any other nice programs that are better??
And I really want to know how the original sounds like that...and mine sounds like ..bleh..flat...not as explosive and punchy (Best way I can think of describing it). I'm pretty sure it's not just the strumming because I think I'm doing that the same way.
just keep practicing, using basic exercises. a good finger exercise is place your pointer finger on 5th fret, low E string. place the next finger in line on next fret (middline finger would be after pointer of course), do that with other two fingers. move down to next string, and repeat. go down and up the strings. move around the fretboard too to make sure your fingers adjust. i saw a cool finger exercise tool at a shop today where theres springs and u just keep pushing down with yur fingers to strengthen them up.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Ohhh you mean Chromatics, Flanders?? I do those to warmup before I start playing anything. You got any more advanced practices? Also, I'm looking at Pro Tools....what is this Avid except for music???
Quote by Gorblethorp
Get Pro Tools.

^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Gorblethorp
I forgot some people are poor.

I forgot some people are rich enough to waste their money.

Reaper works great, but the lifelessness in probably in part due to your mixing etc. try this
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Jul 15, 2009,