I have an old stereo tube amp, havent taken a real good look at it yet. I was wondering if its possible to conver it to a useable guitar amp. All I know right now is its a Toshiba and it deffinatly could be rigged up to a guitar cabinet with some simple jack changes. Ill see if I can get some pictures posted later

EDIT: side note, I just got some white ash boards brougth to our new house that I cut 2-3 years ago, possible build to come
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Jul 14, 2009,
Sir, we have many things in common.

#1: I'm also curious about the possibility of converting my old tube radio into an amp.

#2: I also play lacrosse. And I think everybody else should, too.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by Metalfan41
I have an old radio tube amp, havent taken a real good look at it yet. I was wondering if its possible to conver it to a useable guitar amp. All I know right now is its a Toshiba and it deffinatly could be rigged up to a guitar cabinet with some simple jack changes. Ill see if I can get some pictures posted later

EDIT: side note, I just got some white ash boards brougth to our new house that I cut 2-3 years ago, possible build to come
Toshiba?
It's radio, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a radio, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as radio if it works.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I've heard of people doing that, so I do believe it is possible. Won't be terribly hi-fi, but it will be a nice little piece of gear that you can bet not many people have.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Toshiba?
It's radio, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a radio, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as radio if it works.

Excuse me, its not a radio, no idea why I wrote that. Its a stereo amp, Ill have to edit my post
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Quote by Metalfan41
Excuse me, its not a radio, no idea why I wrote that. Its a stereo amp, Ill have to edit my post

Did you find it in your shed?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Did you find it in your shed?

It came from my dads friend. It still works, my dad was usign it in the garage at our old house. I really have no idea how old it is though, or how many watts it is
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
It depends, but a lot of the tubes inside will be pretty much useless in a guitar amp.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
It depends, but a lot of the tubes inside will be pretty much useless in a guitar amp.

How so? All it needs to be is a clean amp, there are tons or pedals that I could use. I could put a Blackstar HT into it for a preamp
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by livrockdie
SYK, idk how many people would still get that joke...

I don't either, but it was amusing.

Quote by Metalfan41
How so? All it needs to be is a clean amp, there are tons or pedals that I could use. I could put a Blackstar HT into it for a preamp
does it have a Phono input? You could probably get enough gain from that alone.

I'm not sure it's tube, though. I don't think I've ever seen a Toshiba that's tube.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I made a radio amp a while back. The radio was really old(40s I think), and it worked for a while. Then the caps failed, and I let it go. You can make tube radios or stereo amps work as guitar amps, but they usually don't sound very good. Not the right stuff. Fun to mess with you want a curiosity. Same safety protocols as a guitar amp, if not more. Some old models are not grounded like modern electronics, so watch out.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
I don't either, but it was amusing.

does it have a Phono input? You could probably get enough gain from that alone.

I'm not sure it's tube, though. I don't think I've ever seen a Toshiba that's tube.

It has Phono input, no idea what that means though
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by chokmool
I made a radio amp a while back. The radio was really old(40s I think), and it worked for a while. Then the caps failed, and I let it go. You can make tube radios or stereo amps work as guitar amps, but they usually don't sound very good. Not the right stuff. Fun to mess with you want a curiosity. Same safety protocols as a guitar amp, if not more. Some old models are not grounded like modern electronics, so watch out.

This is really just to consider the possibilities, Im going to buy a real amp one way or another
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Quote by livrockdie
SYK, idk how many people would still get that joke...

I did. As soon as I saw the OP, my first thought was whether it should be plugged in and used as hifi, if it works.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
I did. As soon as I saw the OP, my first thought was whether it should be plugged in and used as hifi, if it works.

Whats hifi? Im a noob with terms
Quote by reeses

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
It's an old meme/thread. I think SYK might have a link to it, I can never find it.

It stands for High Fidelity, iirc. It's just a higher quality sound.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
If it's an older (relative) term tube radio, it'll have a superheterodyne in it, which is pretty much useless. A lot of the other stuff will be reasonably useful, but it's still probably going to sound like crap.

Go ahead and play, you'll learn a ton from it which is great, but it's not going to be a secret tone holy grail or anything. Not even gonna be a good tone.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by bv310
It's an old meme/thread. I think SYK might have a link to it, I can never find it.
You have trouble finding it cuz Conrad moved it to the Pit right at the end.

I found an amp in my shed, any idea how to use it?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
That's still my favorite thread of all time.
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by Metalfan41
It has Phono input, no idea what that means though

Oh you poor depraved child...

Ever hear of a Phonograph? It's a record player. Phono input means you plug a phonograph into it. A phono pickup (the cartridge) works just like a guitar pickup, so you'd need something to amplify that. You can't just send an unamplified phono signal to speakers. Too weak/ sounds terrible (if you plug into a computer).