ok, so im newish to guitar, and i bought a marshall 100dfx, and i love it, and i have just scratched the surface on its potential, im going for a progressive metal sound, like coheed and cambria, if you have were the knobs should be set that would rock, cause im impatient lol, thanks
Hell Yea Im Straight Edge!
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Marshall MG100DFX?
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
i heard claudio just turned all of the knobs on his amp all the way up while he was recording good apollo v1

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
yea, mg100dfx
ESP Eclipse II (or) Fender Strat w/David Gilmour EMGs > Cry Baby Original > Digitech RP250 > JOYO Ultimate Overdrive > MXR BLS Chorus > MXR Phase 90 > EHX Memory Toy > 1981 Marshall JCM800
Quote by therosa69
ok, so im newish to guitar, and i bought a marshall 100dfx, and i love it, and i have just scratched the surface on its potential, im going for a progressive metal sound, like coheed and cambria, if you have were the knobs should be set that would rock, cause im impatient lol, thanks

I found MGs sound their best when all the knobs are turned to zero.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
learning guitar is nothing for the impatient. your ears can tell you better than anybody else ever will but generally just dial up the desired volume and for that kind of music just dial in the most distortion you can get while still articulating what youre playing. try turning the high and low up and cutting down the mids and kill the reverb almost completely if youre trying to get chugging rythym. oh and since youre also new to UG watch out what you post as far as forbidden threads and things that "ultimate" threads eliminate the possibility of new discussion (for whatever reason it may be i do not know but im pretty sure its the dumbest reason possible). there are nice guys that will help with anything and there are D-bags that report everything they see that will give them a hall-monitor-like satisfaction...
1) Settings threads are against the rules
2) your amp is not that great

....sorry
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by Kevin Saale
I found MGs sound their best when all the knobs are turned to zero.

<snicker>
thanks, im trying to replicate the sound from ksose:3 and no world for tomorrow
and now that i know that its off limits, im done with it... sorry
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
eliminate the possibility of new discussion

Settings and vs threads are the only ones you can't make.

Also, how is going over info thats in the stickies (which you're supposed to read) promoting new discussion?
I don't know why, but I'm having a brief wave of nice come over me.

Dude.. you're not going to get help with where to set the knobs on that amp from these guys. Just go play it and enjoy it and discover the sounds on your own.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Settings and vs threads are the only ones you can't make.

Also, how is going over info thats in the stickies (which you're supposed to read) promoting new discussion?

uhhh yeaaahhhhhh.....

false, buddy. theres a lot of things that will get you static and ive seen it a million times. people get shut down for asking what grit of sandpaper to use because theres an "ultimate finishing thread" or whatever, theres a million. and whats wrong with asking for settings anyway. i understand the thread flooding but its not like its going to make the searchbar of this site any more useless than it already is. i think its a beautiful thing that some guy at his house can get opinions all over the world about whatever. the people that run and are attempting to ruin this site are more about preserving UG as a personal outlet for themselves rather than maximizing the potential for human connection and musical enrichment that his site has and yet squanders willfully...
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
uhhh yeaaahhhhhh.....

false, buddy. theres a lot of things that will get you static and ive seen it a million times. people get shut down for asking what grit of sandpaper to use because theres an "ultimate finishing thread" or whatever, theres a million. and whats wrong with asking for settings anyway. i understand the thread flooding but its not like its going to make the searchbar of this site any more useless than it already is. i think its a beautiful thing that some guy at his house can get opinions all over the world about whatever. the people that run and are attempting to ruin this site are more about preserving UG as a personal outlet for themselves rather than maximizing the potential for human connection and musical enrichment that his site has and yet squanders willfully...

Ok, so where's the new discussion? If you mean, a new discussion, yes, it is, but it's old material. We aren't your errand boys, the info is there, get it.

There's no settings threads because they don't promote discussion and aren't helpful since every amp is different. All the knobs at noon on a twin reverb won't sounds like all the knobs at noon on a JTM-45.

Edit: Also, I don't know about GBC, but here you can make a thread asking about orange amps even though there's an orange amps thread. Someone might post a link to the thread, but that's just to provide the TS with more info should they want it. I can see why people would be made about the sand paper grit thing since it's something someone could easily find out for themselves. There's no discussion involved, it's just someone too lazy to find a simple answer.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Jul 14, 2009,
all discussion is helpfull. the same tone question can be different millions of times because there are millions of pairs of ears and millions of musical intrests being represented with the seemingly same questions. if you dont want to talk about it dont click, read, and anwser. and Mr. threadstarter, this particular thread is a pretty good indication of how well this site works for questions google cant easily anwser for you. sorry to dissapoint you that with more communication-enabling technology than was even imaginable twenty years ago youre still on your own much of the time.

PS to the TS as to what i was saying about distortion earlier. theres a trade-off in distortion and articulation (how well you can hear exactly what youre playing) and if you experiment a little you will find out what i mean for yourself. the EQ of the amp has a big effect on this so you have to do a little 3-dimensional experimenting to find out. taking notes is as helpful in this endeavor as it seems unrockstarlike. sorry to the mods for being helpful in a forbidden thread. feel free to warn me.