Alright, I had a question for you guys at UG. I'm in a band right now, composed of a bunch of relatively inexperienced guys (from 6 to 18 months of experience). We have a lot of fun and want to eventually be playing gigs and have some sort of fanbase.

Our problem is we like to play just about everything. A typical practice we play everything from progressive rock to stoner metal to blues to classic rock to indie. As a band, we like a lot of music and listen to a lot of music, and want to play most of it.

We're thinking this is gonna be a problem if we start playing live and want to get fans. Usually bands play one or two genres, stick to it, and fans of the genre like them. At the very least, they have a similar sound from song to song. I'm thinking if we start gigging, we can't be playing 7 or 8 songs that sound completely different.

Or can we? What are you guys' thoughts?
so you want to be just another band whose songs all sound the same?

Proud member of the LGBTQQ group.
Play everything, some people will criticize you for not having a consistent sound, but others will respect you for being so diverse. You also might narrow down your genre when you start writing, generally you'll have a writing style that fits into one or two genres.
You couldn't do that and hold a very large consistent fan base, but if it's fun, do it anyway.

Or, if you can narrow it down to two general genres, just start separate bands with the same people (pretty much the first one with a different name) and use them to play different music. You could use costumes or some gimmick in one to distinguish it from the other, and it would probably be insanely fun, though a bit tricky to effectively make them two different bands and not just the same band twice.
This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is MINE.
Play everything but keep gigs in a narrower array of genres....so don't play slayer and bob Dylan in the same set list but at seperate shows....why not?
Quote by LordBaxtus
we can't be playing 7 or 8 songs that sound completely different.

Zeppelin did it
Find a consistent sound. It would be easier to get on shows with bands that play within the genre that you play in. It wouldn't be very fun for you guys to be put on a hardcore show and you all played something like RHCP.
Quote by sixstringsteve
You couldn't do that and hold a very large consistent fan base, but if it's fun, do it anyway.

Or, if you can narrow it down to two general genres, just start separate bands with the same people (pretty much the first one with a different name) and use them to play different music. You could use costumes or some gimmick in one to distinguish it from the other, and it would probably be insanely fun, though a bit tricky to effectively make them two different bands and not just the same band twice.

I've actually been considering that. Me and my bassist are pretty close, and would probably stay together, but I know a few people who might want to be in a band too. I've thought of letting this band go in one direction, and starting another.

If artists like Jack White and Josh Homme can start a dozen bands, why can't I?
i really prefer a versatile band than a band that makes common songs
you can prepare diferent setlists, you can choose for example 4 hard rock songs, 2 progressive rock songs and 2 blues songs or anything
just enjoy what you play
Hola.
Quote by LordBaxtus
Alright, I had a question for you guys at UG. I'm in a band right now, composed of a bunch of relatively inexperienced guys (from 6 to 18 months of experience). We have a lot of fun and want to eventually be playing gigs and have some sort of fanbase.

Our problem is we like to play just about everything. A typical practice we play everything from progressive rock to stoner metal to blues to classic rock to indie. As a band, we like a lot of music and listen to a lot of music, and want to play most of it.

We're thinking this is gonna be a problem if we start playing live and want to get fans. Usually bands play one or two genres, stick to it, and fans of the genre like them. At the very least, they have a similar sound from song to song. I'm thinking if we start gigging, we can't be playing 7 or 8 songs that sound completely different.

I would actually prolly enjoy you guys. If I don't like one song for a band I normally stay and listen for 3 more songs and if they sound mostly the same I just leave. However if you are constantly sounding different, at least when the first time I hear you. You will prolly hit something I like and make me check you guys out.

Now for the long term, idk what you should do. But for just gigging around and getting known it sounds good to me.
when you write a song, just write. My songs usually end up having rapid-fire time and tempo changes, shift genre in the middle of the song (metal to flamenco to a waltz, etc.) and go from fast and distorted to clean and slow abruptly. Either that or they consist of two or three riffs and are extremely simple. Songs usually end up as a musical version of what you're thinking at the time. I have ADD, thus the bizzare prog nonsense. But you should just write. No matter what you play, somebody will like it. Why do you think there are so many poopcore bands in existence?
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by sixstringsteve

+1
im in an alternative band that is our serious band
then we have a crazy hair metal band that is just for jokes
its fun
It honestly doesnt matter
What matter is that you write original songs that are well-constructed and fun to play. For example, Type O negative incorporates doom metal, thrash, metalcore, ambient music, noise rock, all into thier typified song, but thier unique writing style and sound stands out and when you hear a Type O song, you know who it is.
Just write your music, and than all will be made clear than.
Start making everything that feels like a good song, and then listen to yourselves and see what styles you like playing out of your music.

Or just pick a style of music and mold your sound around it. It's ok to have a style, it doesn't mean it is the only music you guys like, it is just what your band plays when together.
Are you a cover band or do you play originals?

Cover bands can generally get away with playing a lot of different genres, because they are hired to play hits, and hits cover all genres.

However if you're an orginals band, it's rare that the songs you're writing sound completely different with the same people playing. It's more likely that you are talking about all this theoretically, and that you have not written many songs together. Either that, or you haven't listened to them properly and realised how similar they sound.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I'd say keep doing what you're doing. Keep playing and writing and after a while everything will naturally coalesce into one distinct sound. Don't think about it too much. Just let things happen and everything will come together.
Quote by JagStang5246
Find a consistent sound. It would be easier to get on shows with bands that play within the genre that you play in. It wouldn't be very fun for you guys to be put on a hardcore show and you all played something like RHCP.

There's quite a few songs in the Chili's back catalogue that I don't think would be that out of place in a hardcore show. They're a terrible band to mention in connection with 'consistent sound'.

If you can play in numerous genres, then surely the number of shows you can play can only go up?

If this thread is any kind of sample, I think you can expect a least a niche market of musicians and music enthusiasts and if your songs are good enough you can get away with any amount of genre-bending - look the Beatles, Zeppelin, Radiohead, the Gorrilaz, etc.
Quote by Ed O'Brien
“It’s not genius. It’s just that if you want something good to come out of something, you have to put in a lot of effort. That involves a lot of hard work, and a lot of blood, sweat and tears sometimes.”

http://urbanscarecrow.bandcamp.com/
I never said RHCP was consistent, just it would be out of place at a hardcore show. The fans wouldn't get into it.
Quote by AlanHB
Are you a cover band or do you play originals?

Cover bands can generally get away with playing a lot of different genres, because they are hired to play hits, and hits cover all genres.

However if you're an orginals band, it's rare that the songs you're writing sound completely different with the same people playing. It's more likely that you are talking about all this theoretically, and that you have not written many songs together. Either that, or you haven't listened to them properly and realised how similar they sound.

We started off playing covers, but we've moved into writing our own music. I have noticed that despite the fact that I'll write a song and think, "This is one genre", when we play it, we usually end up giving our own distinctive flavor to it.
Quote by LordBaxtus
We started off playing covers, but we've moved into writing our own music. I have noticed that despite the fact that I'll write a song and think, "This is one genre", when we play it, we usually end up giving our own distinctive flavor to it.

Thats a good thing. that means you aren't adhearing to a standard sound and are developing your own. Hell, Coheed and Cambria and Slipknot experimented with like funk and punk and hardcore and classic rock early in their carears.
Quote by LordBaxtus

Is the "distinctive flavour" always the same "distinctive flavour"? :P
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Is the "distinctive flavour" always the same "distinctive flavour"? :P

^this.

You said your self you guys are inexperienced. Just relax and practice songwriting. When somebody throws up a concept for a song, try to give it that same distinctive flavour of other songs. Restyle a song so it fits the others. It's gonna take a while but in the end, rather then playing "genres" you'll be using influences from genres, while being true to your own style.
When my band first started writing, we had the same worries as you, since we all like everything from Death to Bob Dylan, but after we started writing, the songs ended up all falling into approximately the same (and I like to think, unique) style. I'd hazard a guess that that's what will happen with you and your band.
"There is no hell. There is only France." - Frank Zappa
Quote by LordBaxtus

just do what you want to do. isn't that what made all the *greats* great?

i watched an interview with Opeth (i think Opeth is good but i'm not trying to say they're one of the greats, they're simply an example to further the notion that it doesn't necessarily matter what spectators have to say about what you do) and they said that they would hear from people all the time "you'd get more fans if you..."

they continued doing whatever felt right to them regardless of those kinds of comments and i'd say they have a respectable sized fan base still.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Last edited by konfyouzd at Jul 16, 2009,