I found the sound I've been looking for it came from a tubescreamer pedale. I read that the Ibanez TS-808 reissue Tubescreamer is meant for a TUBE amp, NOT a solid state. Does this mean that all tubescreamer pedales are for tube amps? I have a solid state amp

Thanks
It will just sound about infinitely better if you use it to drive (or scream) your tubes harder.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by YouWantToKillME
is there anyway to get that sound with a solid state amp?

Get a tube preamp and a tube power amp.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

No, it's meant to slam preamp tubes to add compression and tighten things up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If you like it, use it. The pedal is designed to sound like an overdriven amp and works fine with tube and solid state amps. It wasn't meant for one or the other.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
no, you cannot get THAT sound with ss. you can get relatively close, but ss amps will never give you the warmth, reponsiveness, and frequency range of a real-deal tube amp or likewise an overdrive into a tube amp.
Quote by Kevin Saale
The pedal is NOT designed to sound like an overdriven amp

Fixed.
ok, you jack it into a spider III and I'll jack it into a JCM800... you think you'd have the better tone? because from what you're saying, they should sound the same right? it's all in the pedal right?

wrong.

EDIT: I refer you to my original post, #8.
Last edited by GrisKy at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by GrisKy
ok, you jack it into a spider III and I'll jack it into a JCM800... you think you'd have the better tone? because from what you're saying, they should sound the same right? it's all in the pedal right?

wrong.

EDIT: I refer you to my original post, #8.

Calm yourself dude, quit getting bent out of shape for nothing.

Dude's saying that if you like the way a pedal sounds then by all means, use it. "Tubescreamers" ARE made to simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp. I think KS just showed your ass up when you tried being so clever. He says that the pedal wasn't meant for SS or for tube, but that they have different uses for each type of amp. He didn't say that one sounds better than the other, he remained completely neutral and whether or not he enjoyed the tone of either. Also, wtf kind of a comparison is a Spider to a JCM 800. Compare a high end SS amp to a high end tube amp. Bottom line is that you have no idea what you're talking about and you need to zip it before you make yourself look any more ridiculous.
Gear:
Fender USA Standard Strat
1972 Aria "Lawsuit" Les Paul

Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb w/Randall cab
Traynor YCV40

Effects: (working on it..)
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
BOSS DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
1978 MXR Dist.+
Quote by burn out on me

Dude's saying that if you like the way a pedal sounds then by all means, use it. "Tubescreamers" ARE made to simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp. I think KS just showed your ass up when you tried being so clever. He says that the pedal wasn't meant for SS or for tube, but that they have different uses for each type of amp. He didn't say that one sounds better than the other, he remained completely neutral and whether or not he enjoyed the tone of either. Also, wtf kind of a comparison is a Spider to a JCM 800. Compare a high end SS amp to a high end tube amp. Bottom line is that you have no idea what you're talking about and you need to zip it before you make yourself look any more ridiculous.

Exactly
Quote by Kevin Saale
Exactly

+1

Overdrive pedals simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp, they don't "push your tubes harder" or any other bollocks like that.

However, because they're designed to mimic tube amp overdrive if you run one into an already overdriven tube amp the two waveforms complement each other and you get a denser, more harmonically rich distortion sound from the amp. If you try that with a distorted solid state amp it all goes tits up though, you tend to get destructive rather than constructive interference, the preamp ends up clipping and everything gets horrendously noisy very quickly. The end result is downright unusable with overbearing background hiss and uncontrollable, screechy feedback. It's not just distortion/overdrive pedals, you can have the same issues with multi FX units and even modulation pedals - more often than not if you want to use external effects on a solid state amp you need to use the clean channel.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
im using a ts-7 .. i would highly suggest it . ( i play through solid state ) . the ts-7 is cheap and has 2 channel .. the regular ts9 and the `hot`for a nice midrangy very overdriven tone . the ts-9 channel alone wont overdrive enough to be use into a the clean channel of a solid state ( at least not for my taste ) .

i would get a ts-7 if you like overdrive ...should cost you like 40 - 50 $ max .

mine would be useless without the HOT mode ... the ts-9 mode is really for a boost and unsuitable for use alone in a solid state amp IMO .

but thats taste . for 35 $ you cant go wrong . im keeping mine although im building a higher end pedalboard ( with boutique stuff ) . the tubescreamer 7 has a very bright midgrangey overdrive in the hot channel , i like it very much for punk rock and green day stuff .

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBANEZ-TS-7-PEDAL-NEW-LQQK-AVE-HERE_W0QQitemZ200334389151QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea4dc2f9f&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

35 $

+ the ts-7 can be modded eventually ( mod chips etc.. to recreate the original ts-808 )

but i didnt modified mine .. except im gonna maybe change some resistor to put even more gain .
Last edited by Skysc at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull

Overdrive pedals simulate the sound of an overdriven tube amp, they don't "push your tubes harder" or any other bollocks like that.

QFT.

The tubescreamer CAN drive a tube amp a little bit, try turning the volume on it up and the gain down - the mids inherant in the pedal will push your speakers, giving you a little more drive but other than that, most overdrive pedals are nothing but smoother, lower gain distortion pedals.

To me the tubescreamer sounds almost the same on a JCM800 or a 100 watt marshall, it masks the tone of your amp I find.

Real 'overdrive' pedals would be like.. the treble booster, or a mid booster. Things which jam a spike into a certain frequency, 'overdriving' a tube amp.
Okay, everyone who said that that tubescreamers works only with tube amps, go shoot yourselves. A tubescreamer is designed to recreate the sound of an overdriven tube amp, but alot of poeple use as a clean boost to push their tube amps harder.
I'm so tired of seeing poeple say "overdrives pedals work only with tube amps"
Quote by burn out on me

did any of you bother to read what I originally posted??? (post #8)

I said he'd never get "THAT" sound as in the sound of an overdriven tube amp using a tubescreamer-style OD into a ss amp. and you never will. you're right that a spider is a crap amp to compare to, but I had to choose one that people on here have heard. plug one into a fractal. I have, and it's still not the same.

also, i'm not bent out of shape, it just, well, bends me out of shape when people listen to half of what you say and then feel the need to prematurely ejaculate their word vomit into the threads of UG.

as for everyone here who believes that an OD doesn't "overdrive" your preamp tubes, here's a simple test. dial in a clean tone on your amp. record something. throw the OD into the mix and record again. keep doing it, each time lowering your volume and/or gain until your levels are consistent with your original recording... then listen to your tone and tell me they have nothing to do with pushing your tubes.
*this will not work with DISTORTION pedals, only OD's... they're a whole different story.

I get that you OD has a "clipping stage," and yes, they each have a distinctive sound, but there's a reason why they sound infinitely better through a tube amp.
Quote by GrisKy
did any of you bother to read what I originally posted??? (post #8)

1.I said he'd never get "THAT" sound as in the sound of an overdriven tube amp using a tubescreamer-style OD into a ss amp. and you never will. you're right that a spider is a crap amp to compare to, but I had to choose one that people on here have heard. plug one into a fractal. I have, and it's still not the same.

2.also, i'm not bent out of shape, it just, well, bends me out of shape when people listen to half of what you say and then feel the need to prematurely ejaculate their word vomit into the threads of UG.

3.as for everyone here who believes that an OD doesn't "overdrive" your preamp tubes, here's a simple test. dial in a clean tone on your amp. record something. throw the OD into the mix and record again. keep doing it, each time lowering your volume and/or gain until your levels are consistent with your original recording... then listen to your tone and tell me they have nothing to do with pushing your tubes.
*this will not work with DISTORTION pedals, only OD's... they're a whole different story.

4.I get that you OD has a "clipping stage," and yes, they each have a distinctive sound, but there's a reason why they sound infinitely better through a tube amp.

1.First off, I didn't think the TS was necessarily looking for the sound of an overdriven tube amp, it seemed to me he was looking for the sound of a tubescreamer.

2.People weren't even arguing with your first post, it was your "correction" of my post with blatant misinformation that stirred up trouble

3.You've just described any device that can increase the signal going to the amp. Overdrives aren't the only pedals that can do this exclusively.

Quote by Kevin Saale
1.First off, I didn't think the TS was necessarily looking for the sound of an overdriven tube amp, it seemed to me he was looking for the sound of a tubescreamer.

2.People weren't even arguing with your first post, it was your "correction" of my post with blatant misinformation that stirred up trouble

3.You've just described any device that can increase the signal going to the amp. Overdrives aren't the only pedals that can do this exclusively.

1. you might be right on that.

2. sorry you're butt-hurt. if it helps, it wasn't so much that your response was wrong, so much as it was for being incomplete....

3. EXACTLY! and no, they're not the only ones, but they're the ones we're talking about, and they do it, so i guess you kinda' proved my point for me.

so come on, i'll buy ya a drink
1. Hard to say either way

2. Incomplete? I wouldn't say it was incomplete, but that'd still be better than plain wrong, which a lot of what you post is.

3. Ok? Only mark (steven seagull) said that TSs don't push tube harder, though I think he was being a wee bit sarcastic. So, I don't see what you're trying to prove, no one out ride said that an overdrive can't drive an amp harder.
+1

KS: I fail to see the sarcasm

thanks for the sucker punch and the handjob. I hate your posts too.
Quote by TimmyPage06
QFT.

The tubescreamer CAN drive a tube amp a little bit, try turning the volume on it up and the gain down - the mids inherant in the pedal will push your speakers, giving you a little more drive but other than that, most overdrive pedals are nothing but smoother, lower gain distortion pedals.

I have a Daphon E10DS distortion pedal can I get a sound that's close out of it?

I have learned a lot about playing the guitar but finding the sounds that I like is still difficult