ok I'm maybe gonna buy a new guitar I already have an les Paul classic
I want to know The difference between a sg and a les Paul
Cause I don't want to buy the same kind of guitar, I want something different
If you want something different get a stratocaster.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Other than the obviously different bodies, Les Pauls are generally heavier, and in turn produce more sustain than an SG would. SG's provide better fret access than a Les Paul does, being a double cutaway. The strap buttons on an SG consist of one on the butt of the guitar, and one on the back, while a Les Paul uses one on the side and one on the butt.

I apologize for my examples all being completely comfort-related, but I haven't played enough SG's in my time to be able to describe in full the tonal differences.
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Quote by qvchater
to SLD.Potato whats wrong with blink?

Nothing is wrong with blink182.

However, there is something wrong with saying they play hard rock.

TS, Les Pauls are thicker and have carved tops. SGs are double-cutaway.

Other than that they're pretty similar.
well, sound-wise, they are essentially the same. Maybe consider this, what do you hear in your head, as far as sound, not the voices. What kind of sound is it? Brutal and crisp? A little dirty but soft? These Factors determine what guitar would be best for you. Now, when you figure those factors out, find a band that can somewhat sound like that voice and look at what they play, how theyset-up their guitars, well...then go shopping! I mean let's face it, you're not gonna get a Pantera heavy sound with a strat and a fender twin!
both are equally awesome guitars imo. The les paul sounds better because it has more sustain i think. But it is also more heavier. The sg is a great overall guitar for rock/blues and anything inbetween. easy fret access is definitely a plus. I would choose les paul over sg just because of the heritage and jimmy page of course. It also sounds better imo but the only way to tell the difference is go out and play one.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Since LP's are so much bigger they can give you a fatter tone. SG's are "thinner" tones than LP's, so it's all about preference. Personally, I can't really gig with an LP. Just because I'm a smaller guy, so I can't be lugging around something so heavy while at the same time trying to be alive for the crowd. And the SG's double cutaway has virtually no heel on the neck, so upper fret access is easier than any other guitar I've played. There are double cut LP's but I think they still might have a heel on the back, I'm not sure though.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

The thing is, and don't get me wrong here I like fender but my heart just skips a beat when I look at a Gibson product(except for those les Paul studio)
But I want a guitar that's different tone wise , maybe fender is the way to go instead of the sg?
what do you want exactly?
if you say "i wanna a different guitar" you will have to make one because anyone can buy and SG, LP or Strat shaped guitar
Hola.
if you have a les paul already, look for a guitar with some single coils for a different tone, or even p90s. doesn't have to be a Gibson or a Fender. just look around a bit.
Hello Dr_droop, this is my first time here on the forum
I play a Les Paul model also and I've had the chance to play the faded Gibson SG.
Right off the bat as everyone has mentioned you have easier fret access. On my Les Paul the higher frets are quite a reach but on the SG you'll have the double cutaway access. As for sounds both can be very heavy sounding guitars. Without any distortion effects the SG sounded great, much heavier than my Les Paul. I've also heard that the first SG was just going to be called the Les Paul because it was designed around the Les paul but with some body modifications. It's a lot lighter than the Les paul giving it the name Solid Guitar.

Here's a link for some more SG info
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gibson-sg-special/1078

Keep Rockin'
Yeah, SGs were originally under the Les Paul name. But Les Paul (the man himself) thought the shape was ugly, so they renamed in SG for "solid guitar", pretty creative if you ask me . I'm not smart on the subject, I just paraphrased wikipedia lol
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

I don't think I ever got so much advice so fast, thanks tough and keep them coming
As already said, SG will be a thinner tone then an LP. But still, I'd say try out and see what you think of it. Maybe play a strat or even a tele, those will be different. And so will P-90s. Maybe try a Les Paul Jr.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Les Paul - Fatter, more full bodied tone

Whoever is saying that a les paul is too heavy to be lugging around a show has either never gigged with a les paul or really needs to get into better shape. I'm in my early 20s and I'm 5'9, 145 lbs, so I'm skinny, and I gigged consistently with a les paul, back when I was... 13? 14?
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 15, 2009,
I never saw any noticeable difference the two. But I guess the Les Paul has bit more sustain than a SG and it looks nicer in my opinion.
If you're set on a Gibson,i'm pretty sure they have an SG model with p-90's.Worth checking out.
First off, it's impossible to say that les pauls have more sustain than SGs. There are a lot of les pauls that sustain well and a lot that don't, and there are a lot of SGs that sustain well and a lot that don't.

Weight in the end has near negligible affect on the sustain of a guitar.
Yes,the SG classic has P-90's,but they've been discontinued for a short time now.
I like to think about it this way.The lighter body weight and better upper fret access make it a little more like a strat,in terms of playability and weight.But with the humbuckers and mahogany body,it pulls of a much thicker tone.
Typically,the les paul is suited as a rhythm guitar,due to it's weight,tone and fret access.
On the other hand, the SG is more suited to a lead guitarist,due to it's lighter weight,slightly thinner basic tone, and better fret access.
Well,Angus would have some pretty buggered up ribs if had all that les paul bouncing off him all the time!
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by al112987
First off, it's impossible to say that les pauls have more sustain than SGs. There are a lot of les pauls that sustain well and a lot that don't, and there are a lot of SGs that sustain well and a lot that don't.

Weight in the end has near negligible affect on the sustain of a guitar.

Yeah but physics tell us that thicker bodies absorb less energy from the strings therefore giving greater sustain, just like a solid brass FR bridge will always be better than steel
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Yeah but physics tell us that thicker bodies absorb less energy from the strings therefore giving greater sustain, just like a solid brass FR bridge will always be better than steel
No it doesn't. It does not really make a huge difference at all.

A more practical way to think of it is this, if weight were an issue, then a guitar like a Gibson 335 (or other semi-hollow) would have considerably less sustain than a les paul.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 15, 2009,
SG's have more of a trebly tone, at least in the bridge position. However, they are very versatile. I prefer them over Les Pauls because of the fret access and thin neck. I was never a fan of the SG shape, but it grew on me when I got it.

Also, the weight differences are practically unnoticable now since Les Pauls are chambered or weight relieved.
Last edited by one vision at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Dr_droop
ok I'm maybe gonna buy a new guitar I already have an les Paul classic
I want to know The difference between a sg and a les Paul
Cause I don't want to buy the same kind of guitar, I want something different

you should head to your local guitar store and try as many different type of guitars as you can to be able to get a better feel for them.