I know most people say it doesn't matter, but I wanna know what the best pop-punk guitar is in the $350-$500 range

Thanks in advance.
Slappa tha bass
Are we talking more pop than punk (Paramore, FOB, All American Rejects) or more punky pop (Green Day, Blink-182, The Offspring)?
'64 Fender Telecaster
'08 Epiphone Prophecy EM-2
'06 Epiphone Les Paul-100
'08 Squier Strat Mini
'03 Ibanez AEG10
'90 Yamaha FG730S
'31 Kay Archkraft
Strat baby! Throw a JB in the bridge or if you wanna be really cool like me throw an invader in there :P.

Sidenote: Tom has played many different guitars from Strats to teles, les pauls, SG's, even explorers(I'm not kidding)
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Tele w/ humbuckers seems to be very common among modern pop-punk bands.
If you want something low-budget, the Squier Tele Custom should do the trick.
You can play pop punk with anything. Its really not that specific a genre. Strat, Tele, LP, SG, Mustang, LP Jr, Jag, those are just some of the ones I've seen pop punk bands use off hand.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by toyboxmonster
Tele w/ humbuckers seems to be very common among modern pop-punk bands.
If you want something low-budget, the Squier Tele Custom should do the trick.

Not really, its like $400 brand new plus all the upgrades you need to do. Plus it weights a TON!
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by hootie37
punky pop
(my favorite band is blink 182)

Tom Delonge used invaders for B182 most of the time as far as I can remember.
I know someone who has a great pop punk tone with 18v EMGs and a the highest gain POD tone ive ever heard. I have to dial it down to play anything metal with it.
That said, an invader wont leave the option to play good cleans.

You can probably just discard everything i said and play pop punk with any guitar with med-high output humbuckers and a decent amp too.
Last edited by ApeWeevil at Jul 15, 2009,
For pop punk, your best bet would probably be to go with something like and Epiphone G-400 or Les Paul. For pop-punk, a Fender Mexican Telecaster with some noiseless pickups would be a good choice as well. I've never been a fan of Stratocasters for pop punk (just my opinion) and I'd stay well away from Ibanez or other "shred" style guitars or anything with active humbuckers.
maybe a an erphiphone les psul i saw one for $169 on the guitarcente website or fender stratocaster i saw a red one for $199 at guitarcenter to
Play whatever you want to. Find something that feels good. Don't get a certain type of guitar just because of what everyone else is playing. Look at Tom Delonge, he's playing a semi-hollow with a Dirty Fingers.
If it were the "best" for pop punk, I'd say an HSS strat.. but honestly, like jelifish19 said, anything you like would be good. I just think an HSS strat would fit 'cause it's a really versatile guitar.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Thanks for the help guys.
I knew Tom played a single-humbucker strat with an invader and an ES-333 in his Angels days.
But I like what jelifish19 said
And that's probly what I'll do.
Slappa tha bass