Page 1 of 2
I'm mostly a bedroom player, and even if I was in a band I'd most likely be a vocalist, so would a Vypyr 15 be a good choice for bedroom playing or maybe jamming in a garage?

Thanks!
15 watts is plenty. I'd skip the vypyr and save up for a small tube amp (5watt or less)
Quote by ninjab
15 watts is plenty. I'd skip the vypyr and save up for a small tube amp (5watt or less)

+1
blackstar ftw!
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
Quote by rhcp-legends
+1
blackstar ftw!

I agree... I have a vypyr that I'm looking to get rid of... not quite what I was looking for. Wanna buy it? Good amps.... honestly.... just didn't fit my bill. Although, I'm a bit picky, even for a practice amp.
Quote by DiMeTiMe
Yes 15 watts is sufficient, and remember the vypyr has a tube power section so that approximately= 45w solid state.

Not at 15w it doesn't.
Yes 15 watts is sufficient, and remember the vypyr has a tube power section so that approximately= 45w solid state.

I have a 10 watt now and it at 3 is really loud so the main problem is that it sounds like a piece or garbage. So the is Vypyr is a tube amp? or it can be a tube amp?
Quote by bagpipemetal
I have a 10 watt now and it at 3 is really loud so the main problem is that it sounds like a piece or garbage. So the is Vypyr is a tube amp? or it can be a tube amp?

That's the point that I was making... It's only tube at higher wattage.

edit........ it's still a pretty good practice amp at lower wattage though. I can talk about the blackstar's as I've never owned one. It is my next amp though.
Last edited by Vikingx at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by bagpipemetal

it has a power amp tube or two but that doesnt make a huge difference to the sound

its just a gimmick so that people think its a tube amp but there are actually no preamp tubes
Fender American Deluxe Strat, Epiphone Firebird Studio Worn Cherry, Adam Black S5ce

Dunlop Crybaby, Korg Pitchblack, Keeley BD-2, Proco Vintage Rat, MXR Script Phase 90, Danelectro Chorus, Marshall Echohead

Peavey Classic 30
umm... Okay? so it switches over to tube power when you turn it up?

Does anyone have a suggestion for a small tube amp?
Quote by bagpipemetal

blackstar ht-5

Peavey Classic 30
5W of tube is plenty. .7W is even better.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by rhcp-legends
it has a power amp tube or two but that doesnt make a huge difference to the sound

its just a gimmick so that people think its a tube amp but there are actually no preamp tubes

Again.... wrong....
It's only truly tube at higher W's.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
5W of tube is plenty. .7W is even better.

Yes!!!! by god... YES!!!

Go all tube, even if it costs you more. Add pedals if you wish, but the overall cost will be about the same and you'll be much happier about your tone.
Last edited by Vikingx at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Vikingx
Again.... wrong....

not really sure i understand what you mean

Peavey Classic 30
That thing is freak'n $400 bucks! Is their anything cheaper?

So tube amp=more power than a solid stae amp, what is the ratio exactly?
Quote by rhcp-legends

You are right in saying that it isn't a tube amp because of the lack of preamp tubes, BUT it isn't a gimmick. A "hybrid" amp with one measly preamp tube in the circuit is a gimmick. The power tubes actually give it a tube like feel and will overdrive at high volumes making a nice tone.
Quote by bagpipemetal
That thing is freak'n $400 bucks! Is their anything cheaper?

So tube amp=more power than a solid stae amp, what is the ratio exactly?

It's not about power... you can't compare tube vs. solidstate that way. It's about tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingx
Again.... wrong....

Only the 60watt and 120watt vypyrs are tube amps.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
You are right in saying that it isn't a tube amp because of the lack of preamp tubes, BUT it isn't a gimmick. A "hybrid" amp with one measly preamp tube in the circuit is a gimmick. The power tubes actually give it a tube like feel and will overdrive at high volumes making a nice tone.

The $99 vypyrs don't have a single tube in them... and the sound better than the vox's with a BS tube (in my opinion). It's a good bedroom amp, yes. I've never tried one of their larger amps so I can't give you an educated opinion.... wish I could.
Quote by rhcp-legends

The higher wattage MODELs of the vypyr come with tubes, I believe the 60watt and the 120watt.

The one you are looking at is solid state and probably not worth upgrade your 10watt solid state for. I would save a bit more and get the Blackstar HT-5, which is a 5watt tube amp, I think this amp sounds worlds better than all the vypyr and is certainly worth the extra cost.

edit: man I got beat to it by a ton of people while typing...
Last edited by ninjab at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by bagpipemetal
Only the 60watt and 120watt vypyrs are tube amps.

Thanks bud... wasn't sure where the break-down was.
Quote by bagpipemetal
Metal mostly but also clean stuff.

What major city is "somewhere on earth" by? My point is you can get a lot of decent amps used. Both SS and tube. A HT5 would be good, so would a Cube 30x.

Do you use/want a bunch of effects in the amp?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Problem is I don't have $400 to spend on an amp which is why I was looking at the vypyr in the first place.
Do you use a bunch of effects?
Huntsville Alabama is half an hour away, Nashville TN (Music City!) is an hour and a half away.

If I need effects I'll use pedals, plus I only really need distortion and maybe reverb.
Quote by bagpipemetal
The Problem is I don't have $400 to spend on an amp which is why I was looking at the vypyr in the first place.

It's a good practice amp, but I always find myself wanting for more. If you have the cash buy a good low wattage tube amp and you'll be much happier...... If not, then it's not a bad amp to rip around on.

Did that answer your question?

Again... want to buy my vypry cheap?
I could hook you up with a tube amp like I posted on the first page for under $400. Hand wired. All tube.
On further inspection I have just discovered that my amp isn't even a Fender Frontman it's the Squier starter pack amp (Get's gun to kill that ebay seller)

I just need something that has good distortion and clean tones.
Quote by Matt420740
I could hook you up with a tube amp like I posted on the first page for under $400. Hand wired. All tube.

It said on youtube that it was $325 in the baking pan and $425 in a cabinet. Does that come with a speaker? It sounded nice, but is it just the head for $425 leaving him needing a cabinet?
Quote by bagpipemetal
umm... Okay? so it switches over to tube power when you turn it up?

I like how nobody at the start of this thread had the intellgence to tell this guy the difference between the Vypyr amps. Way to go, eternal wisdom of UG.

Anyway, if I had to choose a bedroom amp for metal, I would pick a Roland Cube over a Peavey Vypyr - it sounds much nicer and doesn't try to do 57 varieties of mediocrity like the Peavey does.
Last edited by greggybhoy at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by bagpipemetal
On further inspection I have just discovered that my amp isn't even a Fender Frontman it's the Squier starter pack amp (Get's gun to kill that ebay seller)

I just need something that has good distortion and clean tones.

Never trust anyone... not even an Iraqi....
Anyway, I have a Vypyr 15 that I'm not playing anymore... Let's say $80 shipped, which should save you $20. I'll ship it in the factory box with the disc.... It's less than 2 months old and in perfect condition.....

If you're interested let me know.
I like how nobody at the atart of this thread had the intellgence to tell this guy the difference between the Vypyr amps. Way to go, eternal wisdom of UG.

Anyway, if I had to choose a bedroom amp for metal, I would pick a Roland Cube over a Peavey Vypyr - it sounds much nicer and doesn't try to do 57 varieties of mediocrity like the Peavey does.

Thanks for all the help everybody! I've been looking on Nashville's Craigslist and they have a lot of stuff. I'll probably go to my local music store and try out the Peavey and Roland amps and make my decision than.

Thanks!
Quote by greggybhoy
I like how nobody at the atart of this thread had the intellgence to tell this guy the difference between the Vypyr amps. Way to go, eternal wisdom of UG.

The lower watt amps are great for practice... but... that's about all.
I wasn't trying to mislead this chap.
Page 1 of 2