Page 1 of 2
After having my friend teach me the basics of guitar, I feel so enlightened that I need to buy my own. I know absolutely NOTHING about guitars, I have a bass guitar (that was my dad's) which I learned to play (taught myself, with the help of my dad, of course), however, though I can play the bass reasonably well, I know nothing about bass guitars at all other than the notes and how to play them. So let's say I'm starting from point zero.

My budget is around USD 400 but can be stretched a little. The reason for so little is because although I don't want the dirt cheap crap that 8-year-old-Hendrix-wannabes get for Christmas I don't really feel to inclined to spend too much on a first guitar. Maybe I could find a good guitar which I could also build on and customize as I go on (and collect cash) which also functions as a nice stand-alone guitar?

I've been reading around and thought that a "squier" might be a good idea? The reviews seem pretty good on this site
but after reading around opinions on squiers in general "seem" to be mixed. I want to hear what you experts have to say and what electric guitar you would recommend. A simple product listing would be great, but it would also be nice to know why.

And maybe the lowdown on what the real difference between stratocasters, telecasters etc. is?

Thank you if you happen to post because I know similar questions probably have been posted multiple times.

NOTE: My budget is now USD 600
Last edited by packerac at Jul 15, 2009,
What kind of music do you want to play/learn?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Do you already have an amp? cause if you do you could go for a used mexican strat
My Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavey Vypyr 75
Epiphone Hummingbird
Last edited by Xomus101X at Jul 15, 2009,
Seriously any of the guitars from the squier classic vibe series are awesome. All have nice necks, feel great to play and don't sound half bad either!
I have a squier and it plays realy well and sounds fairly good. DO NOT buy the start pack, most of those totally blow. So you could go with a squier and get a decent one but try before you buy.

Hope I helped
Squire's are great beginner guitars. Get something that you are happy with looks wise, and feel wise. Thats what its all about.
I would suggest squier yes.
Many people say they're bad guitars but the sole reason for that is they were "stuck" with them as their first guitars so they grew to dislike them.

I would highly suggest you start with a setup as such:
Squier affinity stratocaster (I can't stress how much it should be Affinity and not standard, the affinity series has much better wood, which means it sounds much better)
Peavey Vyper 15 watt amp
OR
Vox AD15 amp

These two amps are great practice amps which have loads of sounds and effects to play around with which will be great fun, everyone loves to mess with effects

And the difference between Strats and Teles are that they're two completely different guitars!
They're both shapes by Fender, the stratocaster is a doublecut guitar (meaning that it has two "horns", these are usualy a lot easier for reaching the higher frets) which uses 3 single coil pickups and a vibrato system, where the Tele is a single cut (only one horn) which uses 2 tele pickups (they're similar to singlecoils) and a bridge+control plate which is rarely seen on a guitar that isn't a tele.

I hope I helped
To the guys suggesting the vintage modified, that would eat up his budget, if he's wanting a whole rig he'll need an amp, cables, picks, a strap and a gigbag or something, so buying a $350 guitar on a $400 budget is pointless, unless of course he already has an amp.
I have a Squire Tele. It's decent enough for a first guitar.

You get a lot of people slagging them off but to be honest I think those guys expect session-quality on every guitar and fail to see it for what it is - a good learning guitar. Obviously when I get better I will invest in better gear but for now it's great for what I need.

Go for it.
+1 on the Vypyrs.

I have heard mixed opinions about squires, so i would'nt know.

If you are willing to go used, you can get a good deal on a mid-level guitar, and pay for it at entry level price.
dont get a "Standard" series Squier because they are made of Agathis (crap)
the "Affinity" (alder) and "California" (basswood) are made of better woods so you can mod them and make a good guitar out of it

make sure to get a good amp and to try and like the guitar
Hola.
Sorry, I didn't realize that was your budget for everything together.

Go for a Squier Bullet, it was my first guitar, pretty good.
+123123091283 0to the rondo
Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Squires are ok for starting...... try a jackson js series they are really good.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Quote by Phumfeinz
I have a Squire Tele. It's decent enough for a first guitar.

You get a lot of people slagging them off but to be honest I think those guys expect session-quality on every guitar and fail to see it for what it is - a good learning guitar. Obviously when I get better I will invest in better gear but for now it's great for what I need.

Go for it.

I was just at guitar center yesterday and tried out the squire tele affinity series. It had a price tag of 179 I believe and sounded really good fore the price. I didn't have to much time to mess with the bridge pickup, but the neck pickup sounded quite good, and that was playing through a peavey 75 watt solid slate amp. Of course I kinda have this fetish for maple necks right now.

For this guy starting off, an affinity series squire strat or tele (the strat may have alittle bit more versatility) would be great for you with a peavey 15 watt practice amp. As far as practice amps go, I'd pick something with alittle versatility that won't break the budget. Peavey's are quite good at that. Definately stay away from the marshall MG series amps.

Other than that go to your local place and pick up some guitars and see what you like.
Try some low end ibanez's out, and stay away from marshall mg amps!

maybe try a peacvey vypyr
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Quote by luyano
dont get a "Standard" series Squier because they are made of Agathis (crap)
the "Affinity" (alder) and "California" (basswood) are made of better woods
so you can mod them and make a good guitar out of it

make sure to get a good amp and to try and like the guitar

i'm sick of hearing this because i;s completely wrong when we're talking about squiers - why would squier charge you more for a standard series if the affinity series were made of better wood? there's just no sense in that whatsoever.

i know good quality alder's tonal characteristics are more suitable for a guitar than good quality agathis which isn't very suited to the purpose, but the alder that the affinity series is made of is anything but good quality, and is actually worse than the agathis that they use on the standards, hence why the standards cost more. more often than not if you compare a standard to an affinity the affinity will sound brittle, tinny and a bit crap in comparison. no particular species of wood is indefinitely better than another. that's like saying mongooses are better than weasels.

edit: in response to guy above - as a practice amp for a beginner there's nothing wrong with the new MG4 version of the MG such as the MG15FX, it's the older ones you've gotta look out for and avoid at all costs because they really were hideous sounding.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 15, 2009,
Sorry for haven not clarified it for you but my budget is up to 400 bucks for the guitar alone. I'd like to have a guitar flexible of playing different kinds of music (I don't need jazz, I have a bass guitar for that), however my ultimate goal is to eventually be able to play badass solos such as solos done by EVH.

After reading your suggestions I think I might buy the Kramer (this ) and replacing the pickups with "Seymour Duncan" instead of one of these or one of the guitars on the top of this list, or one of the "affinity" series. However I don't have any real knowledge of any of the above to back up my choice, I just thought it might be cool to have something other than a "squier"; is there a general consensus on which of the above would be better? I do like look of the stratocaster sss though, or anything other than plain black/red/blue.

These (here) are cheaper, but would they be equally good as some of the more expensive ones I mentioned above?
Quote by Blompcube
i'm sick of hearing this because i;s completely wrong when we're talking about squiers - why would squier charge you more for a standard series if the affinity series were made of better wood? there's just no sense in that whatsoever.

I believe the Standard have better hardware and whatnot, but after playing a few standards and a few affinitys (including owning one), I can say that the standards don't sound good clean, which seems to be a trend with Agathis, where the Affinitys sounds decent all round. (Decent for a >£200 )
Used, very good to excellent condition Squier Affinity Strats can be had for ~$50 + shipping on ebay. I'd still replace the 6-screw bridge with a MIM Fender bridge from 2007 and later (heftier trem block), shield all the cavities, replace the wire with shielded ones ala Gibson, replace the switch and pots with something more decent (inexpensive upgrade), maybe replace the nut.

IpponEdit: The Standard Squier (Agathis) is actually pretty good with the same mods + a humbucker.

Last edited by Ippon at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I believe the Standard have better hardware and whatnot, but after playing a few standards and a few affinitys (including owning one), I can say that the standards don't sound good clean, which seems to be a trend with Agathis, where the Affinitys sounds decent all round. (Decent for a >£200 )

yes, they are decent for the price, but the concept that one piece of cheap wood is better than another piece of cheap wood which is going to cost you more, just because it's the same species of wood that people use for higher end guitars doesn't mean it's automatically the better piece of wood.

also my experiences differ to yours which if anything goes to show exactly why blanket statements are always wrong - a hell of a lot of affinitys that i've seen, particularly the strats, have been inherently thin and twanky on a clean setting, and very very shrill piercing with distortion - about 50% of the students at the college i go to bring their affinity strats because they don't trust those jackass drummers with their more expensive guitars. most of the standards which i've played have been better than every single affinity i've had to deal with...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jul 15, 2009,
My friend has a Squier, and from what I heard, it's okay as a starter. My first guitar was a used First Act which was alright, but if you think it sounds great, go with it. Oh yeah, +1 on whoever mentioned the Vox AD15, great amp for the price.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
My budget is now 600 dollars for the guitar + amp
Should I be thinking something like Ibanez, Jackson, ESP or should I still be looking at Squier and the Kramer with Seymour Duncan pickups? What about an epiphone?
Maybe this? Humbucker + single coil?
Or this?
What about BC?
I'd say don't go with Floyd Rose, it overcomplicates things if you're starting guitar. It generally makes it harder to tune and restring. What I'd do with $400 is get an Agile AL-3100, it's incredible value, although you might need to set it up a little. It's far superior to Squiers or Epiphones, while being around the same price.

I personally hate Squier, they're good starter guitars, but they seem to be there for conformity for people, you know? A lot of people I know get Fender Stratocasters and Gibson Les Pauls just because of the name, you should rather consider getting a guitar that's good for your needs.

For example, if you like metal, you should get a JS Series Jackson rather than a Squier Bullet. What you should do is go to Guitar Center, play a lot of guitars and find which one you like the most.
Quote by packerac
My budget is now 600 dollars for the guitar + amp
Should I be thinking something like Ibanez, Jackson, ESP or should I still be looking at Squier and the Kramer with Seymour Duncan pickups? What about an epiphone?

You could get the Squier Vintage Modified, and then still get a deece amp.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Valvetronix-VT30-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105156558-i1428847.gc

That should do you fine
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Guitar_AXL
youve got 400 bucks? drop it on and Epi SG or Epi Les Paul, assuming you have an amp.

Epi SG? As in this?
The Les Paul is cheaper, but I read that the one above ("prophecy") is better? I want something that will do its time without any upgrading required.
Quote by packerac
Sorry for haven not clarified it for you but my budget is up to 400 bucks for the guitar alone. I'd like to have a guitar flexible of playing different kinds of music (I don't need jazz, I have a bass guitar for that), however my ultimate goal is to eventually be able to play badass solos such as solos done by EVH.

After reading your suggestions I think I might buy the Kramer (this ) and replacing the pickups with "Seymour Duncan" instead of one of these or one of the guitars on the top of this list, or one of the "affinity" series. However I don't have any real knowledge of any of the above to back up my choice, I just thought it might be cool to have something other than a "squier"; is there a general consensus on which of the above would be better? I do like look of the stratocaster sss though, or anything other than plain black/red/blue.

These (here) are cheaper, but would they be equally good as some of the more expensive ones I mentioned above?

If that's the case grab yourself a used MiM Strat, you should be able to find one for 400 or less. You might also want to look at some Ibanez RGs.
Quote by Shabadoo
If that's the case grab yourself a used MiM Strat, you should be able to find one for 400 or less. You might also want to look at some Ibanez RGs.

+1

Why not just buy a used MIM Strat?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Rather than go for anything from the Squire family you could check out http://eastwoodguitars.com/. You may find something interesting on it to buy. The prices start around 400 but theyre very unique and from what I've heard, very easy to live with. Or you can try to grab yourself a yamaha RGXa2.

Quote by packerac
After having my friend teach me the basics of guitar, I feel so enlightened that I need to buy my own. I know absolutely NOTHING about guitars, I have a bass guitar (that was my dad's) which I learned to play (taught myself, with the help of my dad, of course), however, though I can play the bass reasonably well, I know nothing about bass guitars at all other than the notes and how to play them. So let's say I'm starting from point zero.

My budget is around USD 400 but can be stretched a little. The reason for so little is because although I don't want the dirt cheap crap that 8-year-old-Hendrix-wannabes get for Christmas I don't really feel to inclined to spend too much on a first guitar. Maybe I could find a good guitar which I could also build on and customize as I go on (and collect cash) which also functions as a nice stand-alone guitar?

I've been reading around and thought that a "squier" might be a good idea? The reviews seem pretty good on this site
but after reading around opinions on squiers in general "seem" to be mixed. I want to hear what you experts have to say and what electric guitar you would recommend. A simple product listing would be great, but it would also be nice to know why.

And maybe the lowdown on what the real difference between stratocasters, telecasters etc. is?

Thank you if you happen to post because I know similar questions probably have been posted multiple times.

NOTE: My budget is now USD 600
Last edited by Garuda718 at Jul 15, 2009,
look at a low end jackson, dont be fooled, even their low end stuff i find is very good, i own a JS kelly, and i love it, iv played much better guitars, but i stuck with this one, it feels great, doesnt feel cheap, and plays great.
as for amp, id say a roland cube or peavy vyper.
stay away from marshall MG's.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
I second the used made in Mexico strat. They're quality guitars and they have 2 or three used ones in great condition at my guitar center right now for 300-350. Get that and then get a larger practice amp (something like a Peavey Vypyr 75 watt) so that if you need to turn it up to play with friends you can. Really I find that if you're not getting a quality tube amp, Roland Cube's and Peavey's are your best options.
Ok, so right now I'm looking at a
Kramer Striker FR422SM (+ new pups) or
Ibanez SA260M Electric Guitar (+ new pups)
maybe a Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar but I'm not sure I want to go squier.
I can't find any used mex strats at my local store.
Quote by packerac
Ok, so right now I'm looking at a
Kramer Striker FR422SM (+ new pups) or
Ibanez SA260M Electric Guitar (+ new pups)
maybe a Squier by Fender Vintage Modified Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar but I'm not sure I want to go squier.
I can't find any used mex strats at my local store.

Check your local classifieds on sites like Kijiji or Craigslist
go for a mexican strat trust me!
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Page 1 of 2