A long time ago, maybe a year and a half, I charged into my audience in the middle of one of my band's songs. On the way back to the "stage" (it was actually just a cleared space, equal in level to the audience), I ran onto a little plastic thing and lept off of it. To my dismay, my cable was stuck under my foot, and when i jumped into the air, i yanked the cable so hard that it broke. My father is an electrician. His verdict: The cable was unfixable.

So I went out to my local Guitar Center and just grabbed a cable off the shelf. It was some 20' long Monster Cable. When I told the guy what had happened, he said to me, "Oh, well if its a bass you're playin, you'll want this instead." and he pulled out a Monster Cable that was somehow designed for bass rather than guitar. I bought it.

As im walking out to the car, I asked myself, "Whats the difference? Does it really matter which I use?"

They both cost the same so it isn't like i was being cheated out of money. I just don't understand the difference.

Anyone care to explain this to me? Thank you.
a tag. I think it's a stupid ploy to make people buy an extra cable for bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The thickness was the same.
And i suppose the ploy would work for someone who plays both guitar AND bass. But im only a bassist. Even so, why would the employee recommend that i buy the bass cable as opposed to the guitar one?
maybe it's something to do with the different frequencies or something?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
There's no difference.

They're all T/S cables, the packaging just says it's for a bass.

Thus it is simply a marketing ploy to make people buy two "different" cables.

EDIT:
Quote by joehhy
why would the employee recommend that i buy the bass cable as opposed to the guitar one?

Answer: He's an idiot.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Last edited by Shredder XXX at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by MustangMan311
Dude, I don't know if you're aware, but if your Monster Cable somehow "dies", Guitar Center is supposed to replace it for free. Me and my friends have taken a couple back over the years.

The cable i broke was not a monster cable.
Meh, it's guitar center. How many of those guys know half of what they're talking about.

I use my cables for all my guitars/basses and they're all monster cables. I'm almost 100% sure there's no difference. If there is one I've yet to notice it.
no sig for joo
Quote by joehhy
The thickness was the same.
And i suppose the ploy would work for someone who plays both guitar AND bass. But im only a bassist. Even so, why would the employee recommend that i buy the bass cable as opposed to the guitar one?

well, ploys aren't for everyone.

just like clothes scarves- about every product besides google and religion.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by joehhy
The cable i broke was not a monster cable.

Oh, okay, I didn't realize this.

Also, everyone saying there's no difference is right- They've done tests on Gizmodo comparing sound quality between different types of cable, from the highest end cable to like, wire hangers, and found no difference, whatsoever.
Quote by MustangMan311
Oh, okay, I didn't realize this.

Also, everyone saying there's no difference is right- They've done tests on Gizmodo comparing sound quality between different types of cable, from the highest end cable to like, wire hangers, and found no difference, whatsoever.

im gunna have to argue here. ive found MAJOR differences in sound depending on cable quality. i went from a **** cable to a slightly better than **** cable, and already had a clearer sound and less noise.

i'm not certain of the difference between the two you named, or if it even exists, but you should play around. compare your 20ft monster to a 20ft first act, and tell me you hear nothing change.

in all honesty, i dont know enough about the electronics vs physics inside a guitar cable amp setup, but in physics its proven that every object has a natural frequency, and that when another object of that frequency is struck nearby it will resonate with said original object. maybe it resonates with a lower frequency? (A-220 or whatever frequency a bass's lo E is?)
the above paragraph may be completely wrong with the exception of stating that a bass's A is 220Hz. i repeat, i dont know how much of the sound wave theory carries to the electricity in a wire. so ignore that paragraph until someone else more knowledgeable declares me right or wrong.

EDIT:
also, bass frequencies are stronger, and dont go through wire as easily. there are multiple wires inside a monster cable, are you sure each wire is the same thickness? this could easily be the reason its "specially for bass"
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Last edited by rhoadsfan92 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by rhoadsfan92
im gunna have to argue here. ive found MAJOR differences in sound depending on cable quality. i went from a **** cable to a slightly better than **** cable, and already had a clearer sound and less noise.

i'm not certain of the difference between the two you named, or if it even exists, but you should play around. compare your 20ft monster to a 20ft first act, and tell me you hear nothing change.

in all honesty, i dont know enough about the electronics vs physics inside a guitar cable amp setup, but in physics its proven that every object has a natural frequency, and that when another object of that frequency is struck nearby it will resonate with said original object. maybe it resonates with a lower frequency? (A-220 or whatever frequency a bass's lo E is?)
the above paragraph may be completely wrong with the exception of stating that a bass's A is 220Hz. i repeat, i dont know how much of the sound wave theory carries to the electricity in a wire. so ignore that paragraph until someone else more knowledgeable declares me right or wrong.

EDIT:
also, bass frequencies are stronger, and dont go through wire as easily. there are multiple wires inside a monster cable, are you sure each wire is the same thickness? this could easily be the reason its "specially for bass"

I honestly really like Monster Cables, but I think the only plus they have going for them is their warranty and their construction. They're definitely made better than any other cable I've seen my friends use.
Quote by MustangMan311
I honestly really like Monster Cables, but I think the only plus they have going for them is their warranty and their construction. They're definitely made better than any other cable I've seen my friends use.

this is very true. i think i only own two cables that arent broken at this point. one is monster, the other i haven't opened yet because i had a monster
you know, ive owned 8 different guitars over my lifetime, and right now i have 3. i wanna know what the hell happened...i mean the picks and cables are understandable, they disappear into thin air all the time, but guitars?

Quote by MustangMan311

I also agree with you.
I own monster bass cables. I have A/B'd average cables to monster cables and also A/B'd monster cables to Monster bass cables. The monster bass cables had the clearest lowend. Although the difference between the regular monster cable and the bass monster cables wasn't very noticeable until i got onto the 5th string.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by rhoadsfan92

EDIT:

It doesn't carry at all. The only things moving are electrons, so the wire shouldn't make a difference on that front.

What makes a difference is shielding, the resistance of the wire and the connections, but that is still the same deal. Not much changes unless something is poor. Monster is known for rigging their displays to try and make a difference. In a blind test, they got a load of audiophiles (people who are incredibly anal about sound quality) and compared a monster to a coat hanger. Any difference is in your mind.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

The only reason to get them is for the lifetime warranty, but Planet Waves give that for a lot less.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by MustangMan311
Dude, I don't know if you're aware, but if your Monster Cable somehow "dies", Guitar Center is supposed to replace it for free. Me and my friends have taken a couple back over the years.

Lol...they will be ****ed. I kept my reciepts and packaging for some of my cables with lifetime, is that all i need?
Quote by Shredder XXX
There's no difference.

They're all T/S cables, the packaging just says it's for a bass.

Thus it is simply a marketing ploy to make people buy two "different" cables.

EDIT:

Answer: He's an idiot.

This. =P
There is a small difference, yeah, but not the difference people say. The cost is justified by the warranty and the quality of the cable. If the bass specific cable is the same price as the non bass specific one, go ahead and go for the bass specific. They did make it slightly tuned for bass, so why not? I have the Monster Bass cable and I wasn't displeased.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by SoundManMike
that is BS I guarantee you can do a double blind test between a bass cable and an ordinary cable and no one can tell any audiable differences between the two.

Not saying that you can't tell the difference, but it apparently does have a lower frequency response. Its like having headphones with a super super high response to super super high frequencies probably wont do you much good if the human ear cant actually hear those frequencies in the first place. Probably under lab conditions though it does have a higher lower frequency response. It might be minuscule or it might just not make much of a difference for people since its harder to tell the difference between super low notes and all that for it to make a difference.