Helloo

i was just wondering how to find out what key a song is and then where to start playing, "solo" to fit in with the key of the song.

I would love to know this, so lets take Rust in peace.. Polaris as an example.
Can anyone help me out : ( ?
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100
i've always had trouble soloing over metal riffs that chug the open string and don't really "progress" anywhere, i hope there are some good answers...
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
VisibleNoise - For metal riffs that don't really move anywhere, this leaves a lot of room for your solo to direct the melody and progression.

You can take a lot of cues as to where to progress a solo from whatever the rhythm guitar, bass, and vocals throughout the song do. You can pull some cool melodies and riffs from the vocals while the bass and rhythm should indicate a 'progression'. Solos can generally move wherever you want as long as the sound and overall effect works for you.

Spitty33 - A super basic way to work out what key a song is in is to start picking an open 6th string and then going up chromatically (one fret at a time) as the song plays to see what sounds good. This will generally help you find the root note of the key. It won't tell you if it is major or minor etc but it is a start.

If you can work out the chords in the song (or use a tab to find them) you can then go through the theory lessons on UG and work out which scale the chords can fit into. I'd recommend looking through the theory lessons on here to learn good ways to find keys.

If I hazard a guess - I'd say Rust In Piece Polaris may be in the key of F#. Major or minor or otherwise - I don't know. I don't know the song well. I'm sure someone much smarter than me will know!

Hope that helps someone.
Thanks alot
Gear:

Charvel So-Cal Style 1 HH
Jackson Pro Series RR24M
Dean Dave Mustaine Signature VMNT

JCM 2000 TSL 100