I have an epiphone les paul special two which i deeply love. And after finding out some heartbreaking news and not being able to get a new guitar, ive decided to make this the best it can be. But do you guys think its worth it? New switch, pots, pick ups, machine heads, and nut. Thats the plan. Ive figured itll be around $260 usd. Ive had it professionaly set up and love the way it plays and feels. And 260 is about the most im going to be able to spend on this. Id just hate to upgrade all this stuff and there be little to no difference.
Try some GFS pups.
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Last edited by SGburnsRED at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by SGburnsRED
How about the tuners? Are they good or not?

What kind of Epi Les Paul is it?

The tuners are great. Keep it in solid tune, but thats what i meant with machine heads, i may not change them itll knock off a good 50 bucks. And its a Special II
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
You're just polishing a turd if you do. I have the same guitar. I put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and it just sounds, in short, like ****.

So don't do it. Just hang out for a little bit and deal until you can get a new guitar.

Well i got a "Jem" i guess. I bought mine at Gibsons shop in nashville and it has amazing quality. NOTHING like the ones i see at any other music shop. But theres nothing that wrong with it. Basswood body, bolt on neck. not to bad.

Edit* sorry for the double post!!

Double Edit* ive already got my pick ups chosen. Im pretty sure im gonna stick with them. (Seymour Duncan Sh-2 and Sh-4)
Last edited by nickdohle at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by nickdohle
The tuners are great. Keep it in solid tune, but thats what i meant with machine heads, i may not change them itll knock off a good 50 bucks. And its a Special II

If they stay in tune don't change them out.
And like i said try some GFS pickups. I'm going to buy some power rails for my SG.
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
Quote by nickdohle
Well i got a "Jem" i guess. I bought mine at Gibsons shop in nashville and it has amazing quality. NOTHING like the ones i see at any other music shop. But theres nothing that wrong with it. Basswood body, bolt on neck. not to bad.

Sounds like every other Special II.

Don't do it, dude. It won't be worth it.

If you're really dead set on it, post some clips and pics and whatnot.
Quote by SGburnsRED
And like i said try some GFS pickups. I'm going to buy some power rails for my SG.

Just put some power rails in my Gibson Les Paul Special.
They sound better than the stock gibson pickups but they have a lot more bass. I think i'm going to switch to 1meg pots. Good pickups overall.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by nickdohle
I have an epiphone les paul special two which i deeply love. And after finding out some heartbreaking news and not being able to get a new guitar, ive decided to make this the best it can be. But do you guys think its worth it? New switch, pots, pick ups, machine heads, and nut. Thats the plan. Ive figured itll be around $260 usd. Ive had it professionaly set up and love the way it plays and feels. And 260 is about the most im going to be able to spend on this. Id just hate to upgrade all this stuff and there be little to no difference.
Start with the stuff in bold and replace the piece of garbage output jack, too.

If the guy who did the setup for you did a nice job on leveling/crowning/polishing the frets, it probably plays well.

Quote by nickdohle
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i have an epi les paul custom and swapped the stock pickups with seymour duncans SH-1 '59 and a SH-4 JB, and it sounds awsome, and plays great, its deffinately worth upgrading it, and saves a bunch of money!

good luck with it, you wont be dissapointed
Quote by SGburnsRED

THERE POWER RAILS ARE GODLY IN THE NECK OF A SG! (Had some in mine, never tried the bridge, but it was super great) So yeah, but IDK if I would go full out seymour duncans on it, but I would look into GFS's stuff, they sell nice stuff, so you can customizine your LP special, and save money so you can save up your money for something.. with a set neck. Or whatever you want.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
save the money, or use the money to buy a used guitar on craigslist.

like someone else said, its like polishing a turd.

don't waste your money
If you can spend $260, then you can get a used LP Standard and work from there as time goes on. Unless you have some real sentimental value to this guitar, I would just move on.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
No offense to the one or two of you in here who know what you're talking about, but maybe he wants to upgrade this one and not buy a new guitar. If this guitar is comfortable for the TS, then it'll be much better to upgrade this one rather than buy a new one.

TS, look into GFS pickups. Their parts aren''t great, but their pickups are perfect for a budget refurb. For everything else, www.allparts.com has great stuff and nuthinbuttrubl8 (Phil) has a discount of you're in North America, and SkeetUK has the discount for UK'ers.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
No offense to the one or two of you in here who know what you're talking about, but maybe he wants to upgrade this one and not buy a new guitar. If this guitar is comfortable for the TS, then it'll be much better to upgrade this one rather than buy a new one.

TS, look into GFS pickups. Their parts aren''t great, but their pickups are perfect for a budget refurb. For everything else, www.allparts.com has great stuff and nuthinbuttrubl8 (Phil) has a discount of you're in North America, and SkeetUK has the discount for UK'ers.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to try to degrade others in your post. The OP clearly mentions he wanted to buy a new guitar. Some of us (with the exception of the one or two brilliant ones) are just giving the OP different options in case he wasn't aware of how much $260 can get you nowadays - even new.
Hi!

Sig Retired.
Well the guitar i was going to buy was $500 so im still saving up for it later But i wont be able to buy it this year thats why im upgrading
Ahh your making more since, like we said, GFS, and others have great iteams. GFS has good pick ups for the price,
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Ahh your making more since, like we said, GFS, and others have great iteams. GFS has good pick ups for the price,

Ok ill check them out.

And to the guy saying replace your output jack, its already done. Had it done when i got it set up!!
GFS are budget pickups and sound like budget pickups

you can upgrade this guitar if you want but when you get a new guitar, all the money you've put into this one will have been pretty much wasted. Just keep that in mind. GFS's are ok for a budget guitar or project guitar, but I would never put them into a higher end instrument.
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 18, 2009,
Quote by al112987
GFS are budget pickups and sound like budget pickups

you can upgrade this guitar if you want but when you get a new guitar, all the money you've put into this one will have been pretty much wasted. Just keep that in mind. GFS's are ok for a budget guitar or project guitar, but I would never put them into a higher end instrument.

I have the same guitar with the same problem(replacing crapped stock pick-ups)..this is my first electric though, so im not in any hurry to replace it or anything. I was thinking about GFS power rails for neck and bridge...but i has anyone tried Dream P90's i wanted to know if there anygood..
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
You're just polishing a turd if you do. I have the same guitar. I put a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and it just sounds, in short, like ****.

So don't do it. Just hang out for a little bit and deal until you can get a new guitar.

Your saying that in this forum?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone