I've been playing for a year and a half but have never looked into theory at all. Looking to develop my knowledge but have come to a massive stumbling block as far as chords are concerned.

On different sites I'm getting different lessons on what a chord is.

1) F#o |x|4|5|x|

Does this mean that these two notes played together make an F chord??

2) Diagram below - does this mean the individual marked frets are the chords?? (eg. is the first fret on the E string and F chord??)

3) F
G|--2-|
D|--3-| Does this mean all three notes played at the same time make an F chord??
A|----|
E|--1-|

4) Or is the F chord played like they show in this video??

Would appreciate any help, cause I'm getting mixed advice from everyone I ask, thanks
2) those are the notes. the first fret on the E string is an F

3) if you reference the diagram you posted, you see that those notes translate to an F, an F an octave above, and then an A, so i guess yes it is a chord with notes in the F major scale

i can't answer 1 because i'm not sure what lxl is, and i can't answer 4 because my laptop speakers are so bad i can't hear anything he's playing
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
The video is a lesson on arpeggios not chords. An arpeggio is basically taking a chord and playing each note individually (like a sweep or what the video shows), as opposed to at the same time (like strumming a chord).

Arpaggios usually constitute the triad which is the root, 3rd, and 5th.
no sig for joo
okay so a chord is made up of at least 3 notes. the root the 3rd (above the root) and the 5th (above the root) make your basic triad (triad meaning 3 different notes). normal triads have 4 forms, also known as qualities. they are major, minor, diminished, and augmented.

1) im not entirely sure that this is the case, but usually the "o" or "degree" sign by a chord means that it is a diminished chord (lowered 3rd and 5th). assuming the "x" means to mute or not play the string then the 4th fret on the A string (a C#) and the 5th fret on the D string (a G) just makes what is called a tritone and NOT an F# diminished chord

2) as stated this picture is just showing you the notes on the fretboard

3) yes that makes an F major chord. in that figure you have the root, octave, and major 3rd. a full F major triad would be F (root), A(major 3rd), and C (5th)

hopefully this clears some things up for you! i understand that you might not be familiar with some of the terminology i have used, but im more then happy to answer any questions you may have!
Quote by dr.willhopefully
this clears some things up for you! i understand that you might not be familiar with some of the terminology i have used, but im more then happy to answer any questions you may have!

Still not sure what a 3rd a 5th or a root is.
Quote by Libertine..
Still not sure what a 3rd a 5th or a root is.

you might want to get a theory book or look on the internet, it'll be good for you

If you're playing an F major scale, then the root note is F. the third of that is two scale degrees up - the root, F, is scale degree 1, next is G, and then the third is A. and then the fifth is another two, which makes it C
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
you might want to get a theory book or look on the internet, it'll be good for you

If you're playing an F major scale, then the root note is F. the third of that is two scale degrees up - the root, F, is scale degree 1, next is G, and then the third is A. and then the fifth is another two, which makes it C

+1

sorry for not thinking to explain that!
Thanks for all the help, looking through the studybass guide atm, think I'm getting the hang of it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
3) is not an F chord. A chord has 3 different notes- all you have there is two F notes and an A. However, playing the C on the A string, giving you F C F A makes an F major chord. The posted "chord" is referred to as F(no5)

well technically you dont need the 5th. an F and an A are enough because it is the 3rd that gives the chord its quality but the 5th makes it a full triad. i guess its a little more of a voice leading/part writing thing
Quote by dr.will
well technically you dont need the 5th. an F and an A are enough because it is the 3rd that gives the chord its quality but the 5th makes it a full triad. i guess its a little more of a voice leading/part writing thing

But there are only two notes, despite the fact that there is an F F A.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
But there are only two notes, despite the fact that there is an F F A.

exactly which means its not a full F major chord, but its still an F major chord...its a wierd thing but basically as long as there is a root and a major/minor 3rd to give the notes a quality then your good. i find this especially important on bass because of only having 4 strings and larger fret spacing which makes it hard to play full chords. its basically a compromise

for example you have your chocolate covered cream/jelly filled donut. damn good, right? now say you take away the chocolate...its not quite the same, but its still damn good.