I have an Epi Les Paul 100 and I'm looking to get a better guitar in the near to somewhat-near future.

I'm gunna go ahead and stick with the Les Paul name. Should I get a Les Paul Standard or should I save some cash, and buy a set of EMG's and toss them in my 100?

what would be best?
Quote by Fardarkcrow
You can save up for this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomEX-with-EMG-8185-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515618

but there's not much difference to this and putting EMGs in your guitar.

its.... BEAUTIFUL
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
Quote by Fardarkcrow
You can save up for this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomEX-with-EMG-8185-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515618

but there's not much difference to this and putting EMGs in your guitar.

this, i totally forgot about these guitars
What amp do you have? and also Get a better guitar before you upgrade the pickups... The Lp100 is hardly worth upgrading... It would be like polishing a turd. Maybe look for an LP Standard and get EMGs for it or buy an LP that already is loaded with EMGs (prophecy or bullseye)
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
just practice with what you got. emgs are so not necessary... if you're gonna upgrade dont consider the pickups too strongly. anyone who recommends emgs does not know their stuff.
Quote by jimzer
just practice with what you got. emgs are so not necessary... if you're gonna upgrade dont consider the pickups too strongly. anyone who recommends emgs does not know their stuff.

lol wut?!

anyway ts what amp do you have? and i would say save up for a guitar that has better quality before investing in new pickups
LP Prophecy..?
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
what amp? EMG's will be a lot less effective with a solid state amp
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
definately go with the LP prophecy if you have the funds. this is miles above the LP 100. dont dump expensive pickups in a crap guitar because its still gonna sound like crap
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Just to make a point, EMGs REALLY REALLY limit the sounds you can use when you play.
If you have a solid state amp, don't do it.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomGX-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515617

This one comes with passive pups, but they're dirty fingers, and i've heard a LOT of good things about them from other sites. (and they're coil-tapping)

I mean this is simply my opinion. If you think EMGs are for you, then go for it.
Save up for the Les Paul Prophecy. The quality is just better than the LP-100 and it comes with the EMG pickups.
Quote by siverstorm
Just to make a point, EMGs REALLY REALLY limit the sounds you can use when you play.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-CustomGX-with-Dirty-Fingers-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=515617

This one comes with passive pups, but they're dirty fingers, and i've heard a LOT of good things about them from other sites. (and they're coil-tapping)

I mean this is simply my opinion. If you think EMGs are for you, then go for it.

Im Van and I approve this message.

This whole post wins. I agree with everything. Get the LP with Dirty Fingers, they're 10x better than EMG's and are far more versatile, I hate the cleans EMG's give.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by siverstorm

This, coil taps will attempt to shape your tone for more versatility, in the end EMGs are strictly for the br00talz, and even then I think they sound pretty muddy.

If you like 'em buy 'em, but I personally would buy a LP standard, and switch those pickups out for Vintage Alnicos, maybe an SD JB/59'er, but I always recommend that.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
I had a jb/jazz set in my agile (les paul copy), and it sounded horrid to me.

I'm not sure about emgs, but please tell us what amp you have.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ