My sixteenth birthday is coming up, and I'm not getting a car because I want my mom's Explorer.
So, my parents are giving me around $2,000 for a rig.
I'm ONLY looking for head, cabs, live-in's
I've done upgrades on my Tempest and I like it just as much as my bandmate's LP Classic now.
I'm not going to be buying anything new, other than the live-in so I can get more bang for my buck buying used.
I really love the tone on Rocker 30's, but I just wouldn't have enough to get a live-in also which I need.

So far I'm thinking;
JCM 900 4100 Head
Used 1960 Cab and used 1936 Cab.
ATA Flight Case live-in with rack mount.

I would get Avatar cabs, but I can get the JCM 900 and 1960 together for around $800-$900.

Is there any other suggestions you would make?

I play Pop-Punk, examples: Four Year Strong, Hit The Lights, New Found Glory.
Tons of good deals on Harmony Central and Sevenstring.org.
Last edited by BryanFTWL at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by enselmis
JCM800 > JCM900

Earcandy cabs are tasty as well.

I actually think the other way around.
I know a lot of people think the same as you, but I just prefer the 900 over the 800.
Your MUM'S EXPLORER?

What are you? The love child of a female guitarist and the male vocalist of a 80s thrash metal band?

Vader cab or start your own rack unit with something like the TC Electronics G Major 2 and a wireless unit?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 15, 2009,
It's a nice car, and I can haul stuff around in it no problem.

And no, my dad's a preacher.
LOL

Eh, I didn't like the Vader I played through.
So your mum's the head honcho of a metal band? Who is she? Lita Ford???

In any case, I'd be inclined to go for a rack system in your case, you seem pleased with your guitar and you know what you want for an amp, I can't figure out anything else which might make you happier.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Uhh, I think TS is referring to the Explorer as a car, not the musical instrument like the one I'm holding :P

For your styles of music, the JCM900 should be fine.
Quote by ragingkitty
So your mum's the head honcho of a metal band? Who is she? Lita Ford???

In any case, I'd be inclined to go for a rack system in your case, you seem pleased with your guitar and you know what you want for an amp, I can't figure out anything else which might make you happier.

I am very well pleased with my guitar, I put some DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's in it, upgraded to locking tuners, and sanded and sealed the neck to my likings.
Anyways, sorry for the ramble, but I'm really only getting a rack for a Sure wireless system, Korg DTR-2000, and BBE Sonic Maximizer.
I'm sick of cords getting tangled with bandmates.

Quote by slickerthnsleek
Uhh, I think TS is referring to the Explorer as a car, not the musical instrument like the one I'm holding :P

Alright, I really think I like the tone on the 900 more than the 2000's and 800's, I'll have to do some more testing though.
Oh the Explorer's a car... sorry my bad... we don't get those where I am.

Hmmm if its not a locking tremolo... you could also consider the Graphtech saddles and nuts or the Earvana CTS or the other brand I can't recall the name of presently.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
It actually came with a Graphtech nut stock.
I'm considering putting in a Bigsby, but I'm not sure I want to drill holes in it yet.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
Uhh, I think TS is referring to the Explorer as a car, not the musical instrument

This guy is correct.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
lol your parents gave you 2 grand for your 16th i got nothing
My Gear
Cort EVL X4
Jackson RR3 Cobalt Blue
Peavey Bandit 112
Living stone distortion pedal
Digitech RP250
Quote by BryanFTWL
It actually came with a Graphtech nut stock.
I'm considering putting in a Bigsby, but I'm not sure I want to drill holes in it yet.

I think there's a brand of tremolos which fits stock onto the the struts of stop-tail bar.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I think there's a brand of tremolos which fits stock onto the the struts of stop-tail bar.

Hmm, mind giving me some brands?
I've come across at least 1 or 2 more... but the two I'm most familiar with are..
http://stetsbar.com/
http://www.super-vee.com/

I think the one that'll be more suitable for you is the Stetsbar... The Super-Vee is a lot more like a blocked flyod rose (one where you can only push down, but not pull up).

There... a post which actually is useful rather than show my noob-ness with cars.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 15, 2009,

You must be GAS'ing for an Explorer?

And I may try that out, not completely sure yet.
Quote by BryanFTWL

You must be GAS'ing for an Explorer?

And I may try that out, not completely sure yet.

Not really actually, it just kinda caught me off-guard that your mum'd have an explorer (guitar). We don't really see that many Fords here in South East Asia, so I assumed you were referring to a guitar rather than a car.

I would like a Ken Lawrence Explorer... but its not a GAS.

My 2cents is that you spend any remaining dough from the birthday dosh on a rack... afterall you may or may not like that tremolo... and it'd be a waste of birthday money if you didn't like the stetsbar. On the other hand, you are looking at getting a rack, so that money contributes towards the rack.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Lol ahh, I see now.
That makes perfect since now that I know you're in Asia!

But trust me, any money will be going in to a rack, I'm just thinking about stuff I could do in the future to my Tempest. I think it's weird that I bought a somewhat Metal guitar, and have turned it in to a vintage tone machine.
Quote by BryanFTWL
Lol ahh, I see now.
That makes perfect since now that I know you're in Asia!

But trust me, any money will be going in to a rack, I'm just thinking about stuff I could do in the future to my Tempest. I think it's weird that I bought a somewhat Metal guitar, and have turned it in to a vintage tone machine.

What's the problem? I'd only use my Edwards Alexi Pink Sawtooth for the Chinese pop songs, classical arrangements. I like to see the reaction on audiences faces when play the pops with a metal machine. Granted that its still tuned to be a metal machine haha.

Among things you can do to the guitar would be to meddle with your electronics. If its a HH guitar, you could rewire the humbuckers to be in parallel or series with a single push/pull pot that QPDT. You can also look at install REALLY HIGH END PAF pups like Bare Knuckles or Stephen Designs (you can't get more tonally retentive if you have a Stephen Design custom pup). You can also do the direct to output mod with your tone or volume pot so that when its down it functions as per normal, but as soon as you pull it up, the pups bypass both the volume and tone pots and go direct to the output jack.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Why do you get $2000 US for your 16th? I get $100 AU for mine...
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by ragingkitty
What's the problem? I'd only use my Edwards Alexi Pink Sawtooth for the Chinese pop songs, classical arrangements. I like to see the reaction on audiences faces when play the pops with a metal machine. Granted that its still tuned to be a metal machine haha.

Among things you can do to the guitar would be to meddle with your electronics. If its a HH guitar, you could rewire the humbuckers to be in parallel or series with a single push/pull pot that QPDT. You can also look at install REALLY HIGH END PAF pups like Bare Knuckles or Stephen Designs (you can't get more tonally retentive if you have a Stephen Design custom pup). You can also do the direct to output mod with your tone or volume pot so that when its down it functions as per normal, but as soon as you pull it up, the pups bypass both the volume and tone pots and go direct to the output jack.

Well, right now my guitar sounds how I want it, I have DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's end that I paid a pretty penny for. Just I'm tampering with little features that don't really effect sound. I don't want to go TOO vintage on it, but I absolutely had to get away from the, "Omgz br00talz," that this guitar was aimed towards.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Why do you get $2000 US for your 16th? I get $100 AU for mine...

I don't know really.
It could be that I'm not getting a single thing for Christmas, either.
But still, it is quite a Spoiled notion.
I guess my parents saw it as $10,000 for a car or $2,000 for this.
Either way I'm not complaining.
Quote by BryanFTWL
Well, right now my guitar sounds how I want it, I have DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF's end that I paid a pretty penny for. Just I'm tampering with little features that don't really effect sound. I don't want to go TOO vintage on it, but I absolutely had to get away from the, "Omgz br00talz," that this guitar was aimed towards.

Haha... well, a bigsby will be proper vintage then, won't it.

I don't really have any other suggestions... sooooo good luck then.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Haha... well, a bigsby will be proper vintage then, won't it.

I don't really have any other suggestions... sooooo good luck then.

Haha yeah, and thanks for your time.
Quote by BryanFTWL
Haha yeah, and thanks for your time.

Most welcome.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )