Page 1 of 2
So i have a really cheap squire guitar and i have been playing it for about a year. I just never got into guitar.

Today, i went in a played a bass today. I can't explain it but i just loved playing it. It just felt right to me. I don't know if it was the 4/5 string(i played both) or because they are thick(which i really liked) or because the strings are farther apart or even because the frets were larger. I just liked it. I guess i liked it because in music i like to play(think Tool or prog rock) it is really relaxing and stress free. With guitar you are always moving but with bass, even though i didn't know how to play anything, it seemed to be just simple. Peaceful almost.

I dont' mean to offend any of you guys by saying that bass is simple. I know someone on this forum said that bass is easy to begin with but its more about mastering all the different techniques that is is hard. But, ya i just had alot of fun messing with it today and am really pumped to get a bass now.

I plan to get an ibanez(cant remember model) 5 string or a dean 4 string. Which is better for rock and some metal. It will be around $125 because im splitting the price with my brother. Yeah so do you think that these reasons are enough to justify getting a bass. Sorry for being so confusing lol and for making probably the millionth thread of this sort.
Pfft. Go learn Orion, then tell me it's simple.

In all seriousness, go for it. A 5-string will cover rock and metal, and will get you started. Do what you have fun doing.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
hmm i have a dean guitar......not bass....so i dont really know what the basses are like.
and i never knew ibanez made basses haha
i dont think you should limit yourself to those two though. try some different ones until you find the one that's right for you
go for it, especially if you have the desire to pick up bass. Nothing wrong with knowing more about it. It really is worth a try.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Ibanez makes kickass basses, and I would definitely go for the 5 string if I were you.
When I bought my first bass I was debating either between a 5 string Ibanez or a 4 string Yamaha, and a guy in the store said that the 5 was a better choice, so that's what I chose. 3 years later and I still use that same bass. At first you might find that you don't get a lot of use out of the 5th string, but once you start getting into a lot of different kind of music you'll be glad you have it.
I <3 Companion Cube
cool. like i said i didn't mean to sound like a **** when i said bass was simple. I guess i'll get a 5 string. But i must ask. Is the 5th string a higher string or a lower. I though it was lower to give heavier possibilities. But now im not to sure lol i really don't know anything about basses yet.
Lower. BEADG
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
Quote by Plarx
hmm i have a dean guitar......not bass....so i dont really know what the basses are like.
i dont think you should limit yourself to those two though. try some different ones until you find the one that's right for you

anyway... Dean basses, until you end up spending a lot of money on one, are not good, Period.

Also I have never played a bad Ibanez bass
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
^ this. No matter what model it is, Ibanez basses are always good, if not great, for the money. If you liked it, go for it. Especially if the other choice is a dean. Then there is absolutely no contest. And about 5ers, they are usually tuned BEADG (one lower), but the first 5 string bass (the Fender Bass V) was tuned one higher, to EADGC. Also, some bassists prefer the tuning, though the only ones that come to mind are Steve Digiorgio and a few UGer

And about your bass is simpler comment, I don't think you looked like a dick. You acknowledged that some of us might be offended when you said it was simpler, and that you've heard its only that way in the beginning. That makes you more enlightened than any other bass newb I've seen, who usually either say that "BASS IS SO MUCH EASIER THAN GUITAR LOLZ!!1!!1" or "OMG I JUST LISTENED TO [famous song featuring Flea/Cliff/some other overated bassist] ITS F****** AMAZING DUDE I NEED TO LEARN BASS NOW SO I CAN BE LIKE THEM." Also, I might be misinterpretting what you said, but it sounds like bass is just more natural for you. I'd go for it.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Jul 15, 2009,
I take it you're talking about the $250 Ibanez GSR205? I'd stay away from Dean basses, I've never heard anything good about them. The Ibanez is probably great as a starter bass, especially since it's a 5 string. I wish they were that price when I got my first (and still only) bass, but I'm gonna save up for a 5 string Fender. Anyways, I'm rambling. It's probably great, and if it felt great, then get it.

Edit:

Quote by kugelspot
or "OMG I JUST LISTENED TO [famous song featuring Flea/Cliff/some other overated bassist] ITS F****** AMAZING DUDE I NEED TO LEARN BASS NOW SO I CAN BE LIKE THEM."

I had other reasons to learn it too, before I even really heard of Cliff.
Last edited by Alex Vik at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by HWFG1

It is simple. go learn flight of the bumble bee, that one is HARD
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Quote by C0_0kie
It is simple. go learn flight of the bumble bee, that one is HARD

Well then, I stand horribly mistaken. Heh.

I do agree with the guy who said it sounds more natural for you though
i had and still have a ****ty squier... and same thing,, playing bass just seems more... awesome haha.

bought one yesterday, and ive been playing it a fair bit
I was similar.
I had an epiphone les paul, but I hated it.

Ive played bass for about 3 years now and the only time I picked up my guitar was when I have to move it out of the way.

It's deff not easier though, some of the slap stuff I play is kinda difficult (Atleast for me..)
Do it, buy the bass.
And do NOT buy the Dean.
The only time i've ever heard something good about a Dean bass was this one time when this kid whos a sophomore at my school had no idea what to look for in a bass so he got the Demonator or something and hes like, "OMG YUS DEMINAT0R R SO OSSIM!!!"
you should play what makes you happy, my friend.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
The best thing about bass is that it pretty much automatically gets you in a band, because so many more people play guitar than bass it's ridiculous...bass is a very underrated instrument. It's very fun to play...if I had extra cash I would get a bass rig just so I could have the versatility of knowing two instruments. Basically, if you can play one, you can play the other...with some slight adjustment of technique.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by DoomsdayArsenal
The best thing about bass is that it pretty much automatically gets you in a band, because so many more people play guitar than bass it's ridiculous...bass is a very underrated instrument. It's very fun to play...if I had extra cash I would get a bass rig just so I could have the versatility of knowing two instruments. Basically, if you can play one, you can play the other...with some slight adjustment of technique.

In addition:
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
lol thanks for the advice. I was pulling towards the ibanez anyway. I love ibanez guitars and the ibanez bass fit me really good. It was like 350 something for it. I believe the dean was 250 but you guys have got me set of the ibanez.

And "natural" was exactly what i was meaning. I felt so comfortable playing it(more like randomly picking and randomly fretting but whatever), it was just natural to me unlike guitar which is always so stressful and not really fun lol. Plus, like someone said guitarists are a dime a dozen. Drummers are too.(drum kits are expensive but know adays everyone thinks it's cool to be a drummer) But bass is perfect for a band. You need one but bass isn't cool enough for many people to play lol

Thanks guys
Quote by C0_0kie
In addition:

awesome.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Drummers are too.(drum kits are expensive but know adays everyone thinks it's cool to be a drummer)

Really? where I live they're really scarce. Almost as much as bassists

Quote by C0_0kie

LOLWALL'D (Thats my new word for sig. EVERYONE USE IT NOOOOOOOOWWW!)
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
Really? where I live they're really scarce. Almost as much as bassists

No, around where i live their are tons. They can't all afford the drum kits but like i said, drum kits are scarce but wannabee drummers are almost as numerous as guitarists lol
Quote by gilly_90

anyway... Dean basses, until you end up spending a lot of money on one, are not good, Period.

Also I have never played a bad Ibanez bass

I have. Its my bro's. The saddest thing I have ever played. But in all fairness, he did get it in a starter pack. So as long as you dont buy out of a starter pack I would think you should be fine.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Plarx

How did you even get in here?

I say go with the Ibanez. You get versatility and Ibanez usually makes better basses than Dean. My first was an Ibanez and I'm fixing it up because I missed it. (It broke after quite a bit of abuse)
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Yeah ill get the ibanez. I love ibanez guitars and the 5 string will give me barely any limits on playing.
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Should i play bass guitar(i know their are a ton of these but... lol)

then why don't you search it?

/asshole

OR ask just the bass question, which at least isn't that bad

/vaguely reasonable
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Canadian_basser
then why don't you search it?

/asshole

OR ask just the bass question, which at least isn't that bad

/vaguely reasonable

Ok so if you don't like that i asked then why don't you go and stfu about someone elses business. Other people have helped me so why must you post a comment when you aren't helping in any way
I think bass is an easier instrument to get into than guitar.

Simply because many younger people get into an instrument whilst liking popular music, and get into more obscure music through finding virtuoso's and fantastic musicians in these more obscure bands.

And if you pick up a bass, whilst liking, lets be stereotypical and say Blink 182, the simple fact is that the bass parts are almost always easier than the guitar parts, through the simple fact that playing three notes (powerchords) on guitar is a harder technique to learn than playing 1 note (root notes) on bass.

If you are able to play along with a song you like, it encourages you to get better and learn more songs, and eventually more challenging songs, and to do this you will need to find different bands, so you will eventually be learning songs by tool, muse or whatever band you find a liking for.

For whatever reason you prefer bass to guitar, I'd suggest you get it, unless you think it's an easier version of guitar, because it isn't, it just has less challenging parts than guitar in a lot of popular songs.
Last edited by The 7.18 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by C0_0kie
In addition:

LOLZ SO TRUEZZ!
Quote by The 7.18
I think bass is an easier instrument to get into than guitar.

Simply because many younger people get into an instrument whilst liking popular music, and get into more obscure music through finding virtuoso's and fantastic musicians in these more obscure bands.

And if you pick up a bass, whilst liking, lets be stereotypical and say Blink 182, the simple fact is that the bass parts are almost always easier than the guitar parts, through the simple fact that playing three notes (powerchords) on guitar is a harder technique to learn than playing 1 note (root notes) on bass.

If you are able to play along with a song you like, it encourages you to get better and learn more songs, and eventually more challenging songs, and to do this you will need to find different bands, so you will eventually be learning songs by tool, muse or whatever band you find a liking for.

For whatever reason you prefer bass to guitar, I'd suggest you get it, unless you think it's an easier version of guitar, because it isn't, it just has less challenging parts than guitar in a lot of popular songs.

+1
Bass isn't simple, you are just a natural bassist . Buy one and make beautiful music.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
yeah, i guess it was simple because it just felt natural and not a huge complicated mess like i have with guitar
There is absolutely no such thing as a "simple" instrument.

If you enjoy it, then do it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Jul 15, 2009,
I was like that too, it just felt natural. I love playing guitar but I consider myself to be a bassist who plays guitar even though I started guitar two years before bass.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by ScottB.
There is absolutely no such thing as a "simple" instrument.

There are, just bass isn't one of them
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
Ok so if you don't like that i asked then why don't you go and stfu about someone elses business. Other people have helped me so why must you post a comment when you aren't helping in any way

I was just curious as to why you would ask a question that you recognized as having been asked multiple times already. A quick search on something like "are dean basses good" would no doubt answer your question.

I don't want a warning here, so I'll leave it at that.

The ibanez is much, much better. I have a higher-end ibanez than that one, and it's great. The only thing is the string spacing, which is hard to slap on if you ever intend on doing that sort of thing in the future.
Quote by HWFG1

In all seriousness, go for it. A 5-string will cover rock and metal, and will get you started. Do what you have fun doing.

Actually, Orion is pretty simple, if you ask me.
Quote by Canadian_basser
The ibanez is much, much better. I have a higher-end ibanez than that one, and it's great. The only thing is the string spacing, which is hard to slap on if you ever intend on doing that sort of thing in the future.

Isn't the tight string spacing only on the SR series? Or is it on all their models?
Quote by InvaderTSN
Isn't the tight string spacing only on the SR series? Or is it on all their models?

He doesn't know the exact model of the ibanez, so I'm assuming it's an sr based off the five strings. Most of their fivers are srs. The string spacing isn't like that on the ATKs and the Artcores
Page 1 of 2