So I have had a peavey classic 50 2x12 for about 7 months now and I bought it used. One of the preamp tubes is starting to die and the sound is really thin and the tube is barely glowing compared to the rest of the tubes. The thing is, the tubes are hard to get to and I can't figure out how to take them out. If anybody has a peavey classic 50 could you please give me some information on how to get them out and change them. I would also like to know what ax7 tubes would sound the best in the amp. Sorry, I'm kind of a n00b to this stuff.
I'm not super familiar with your amp but I can see how the speakers might get in the way. Otherwise - you gotta pull strait down hard and wiggle slightly back and forth. It is entirely possible that you have to pull the chassis out or remove some speakers. Either way, if you don't know how to do this properly then take your amp to a tech....or read up.

There are tutorials on youtube, here, HC and the like.

Power tubes are a different story.

AX7 tubes have more grit. More preamp distortion. As opposed to AT7s that might have more clarity and clean bite. They can be inter-mixed in different slots to provide slightly different tones.

Post in the 'Peavey Classic 30....You're Last Amp' thread.

Or - the 'Only thing tubes thread'
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 15, 2009,
To get to the tubes you must take out the screws on the botom of the chaisis just under the power tubes, the C50 can be a bit of a bugger compared to other amps when changing tubes. BTW different 12ax7 glow at different intesities, just because one is dimly lit compared to the others means nothing. If the amp is sound thin and weak, power tubes are most likly the casue, since preamp tube can last 2-3 times longer than power tubes. I am not saying that for sure the case, it could be preamp tube failure, just somthing to keep in mind.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6