im going to be a senior in high school this next year so ive gotta start making plans for college
ive decided i want to go to MI to either major in music engineering to become a producer or guitar
so ive got two questions Pit
first off, i need a scholarship or 8 because of my family's financial situation
a scholarship there requires that you write an essay and send in a video of yourself performing 3 songs ( preferably 2 group, 1 solo) and i have absolutely no idea what to play ( if i was as good as loomis i wouldn't be going here) any suggestions? ive got until march to learn it

secondly, does anyone know if you can double major at this school? I had the email for the admissions counselor but kinda... lost it... so i cant really ask without requesting another info packet and going thru a ton of phone calls any help is appreciated
MI? Isn't that school a total gimmick? I hear it's a total joke. I've never heard one good thing about it in my life.
Quote by skaterskagg1
MI? Isn't that school a total gimmick? I hear it's a total joke. I've never heard one good thing about it in my life.

Seriously? I've heard Paul Gilbert, Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale, etc. talk good about it a bit in some interviews. Sure, it's not as prestigious as Berklee, Juiliard, UNT, etc but I've heard some great musicians come out of there.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
Seriously? I've heard Paul Gilbert, Scott Henderson, Frank Gambale, etc. talk good about it a bit in some interviews. Sure, it's not as prestigious as Berklee, Juiliard, UNT, etc but I've heard some great musicians come out of there.

Those guys out of how many others that are now giving lessons at their local music store, struggling to pay off the bull**** tuition that I'm sure MI has?
TS, just go to a community college, it's MUCH cheaper, you'll get the exact same lessons and you can take other classes for when you music dreams don't come true.
Quote by skaterskagg1
Those guys out of how many others that are now giving lessons at their local music store, struggling to pay off the bull**** tuition that I'm sure MI has?
TS, just go to a community college, it's MUCH cheaper, you'll get the exact same lessons and you can take other classes for when you music dreams don't come true.

im planning on a career in music production though and the things ive heard about it are amazing
Quote by skaterskagg1

Same thing could be said for any music school. Music isn't a very lucrative career for about 90% of the musicians involved.

Whilst I don't know anything about the standard of tuition there (apart from that the place has turned out some fantastic players) there would be no substitute to the enviroment he would be placed in. Surrounded by people with a similar drive who he could learn a great deal from. Also he would no doubt get a better understanding of the industry there than at a comunity college.

TS I would try and cover a few seperate genres with your pieces. Don't limit it to just rock, that would surely limit the chances of you being accepted. How familiar are you with classical and jazz playing? The place must get a bunch of applicants every year and you'll need something to stand out of the crowd.
Quote by sk8ordie97

ive decided i want to go to MI to either major in music engineering to become a producer or guitar

this is the only part i paid attention to

im sorry
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by leeb rocks
Same thing could be said for any music school. Music isn't a very lucrative career for about 90% of the musicians involved.

Whilst I don't know anything about the standard of tuition there (apart from that the place has turned out some fantastic players) there would be no substitute to the enviroment he would be placed in. Surrounded by people with a similar drive who he could learn a great deal from. Also he would no doubt get a better understanding of the industry there than at a comunity college.

TS I would try and cover a few separate genres with your pieces. Don't limit it to just rock, that would surely limit the chances of you being accepted. How familiar are you with classical and jazz playing? The place must get a bunch of applicants every year and you'll need something to stand out of the crowd.

i actually just jam a lot of jazz and blues and play classical form time to time. Ive been playing instruments my entire life and know a bunch of music theory
ive also been playing jazz sax for a number of years so that helps a lot.

apart from that im mostly looking at the production side of things because from waht i hear the guitar degree wont teach you anything unless your a beginner or take private lessons which im assuming cost several thousand

i also hear that its a you get what you give kind of school which is good because these past 2 years of my life have been entirely dedicated to home music production and i definately have the drive to get something out of it.

im basically torn between MI and berklee

the only problems with berklee are how liberal it is and the location ( im from oregon)