i plan on re-finishing my bass to white w/ a black binding but i don't know how to put the binding on it unless i can just paint it on?

so what would be the way of achieving the binding?

any help would be appreciated
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3
Randall 2x12 Extension Cab

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
To put binding on a guitar, you would usually route out the binding channel. I believe this is done by getting a ball bearing router bit. You just go all the way around the guitar, glue the binding on, put millions of rubber bands on it, and it should be good.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
To put binding on a guitar, you would usually route out the binding channel. I believe this is done by getting a ball bearing router bit. You just go all the way around the guitar, glue the binding on, put millions of rubber bands on it, and it should be good.

masking tape is also another idea with the rubber bands
I also have the binding tape from stew macs and it does indeed stick very well and leaves no residue. But doing the actual process of binding, well I decided on my first guitar build I would bind it. And I must say truthfully I hate binding guitars. I thought the hardest part of the build would be making the neck, nope... binding.

Basically you need to route out a channel with a bearing router bit like previously said (make sure its the right size for your binding, or you can shave down the wood so it is flush with your binding, or a template router bit could be used, just keep the bearing on the binding.)
On stewmacs they have ball bearing bits that match the size of the binding, such as these:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Binding/Binding_Router_Bit_Set.html
But they also have these which are possibly the single handedly worst bit ever made and I cannot stress that enough:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Binding/Piloted_Binding_Router_Bit.html
Do not get the latter one, it sucks, you could get it and a the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter but it is cheap and you will probably end up just ruining your project, the bit my move cause the adapter does not do anything about tightening the bit therefore create a messed up binding channel, so save your self the money and misfortune in the long run and get the first bits i linked. These ones are far superior to the non bearing ones. Trust me I speak from experience... I almost ruined my project.

Anyways after you route the channel to the proper width and depth (route it so the binding sticks up a little then scrape it down later) you get your binding out and start at one of the ends which is normally one of the sides of the neck pocket leave some over hang and scrap it off later. Anyways you will need to heat gun it so it gets soft and easy to bend, but not to much or it will melt and be ruined... *sighs* maybe get some extra binding stuff just to practice with. Also I think binding is flamible so be careful. After you melt and conform it to the shape of the guitar you will need to start glueing it. you could use gorrila glue or some epoxy maybe, I used gorrila glue and it worked well for me. Then tape with binding tape, or rubber bands and keep heat gunning and glueing and tapeing till you get to the other end of the neck pocket. The scrap any overhang off with a scraper (you can get em at hardware stores i think, or woodcraft stores) Then post pics of you beautiful project. Good luck.

Heres stew macs tutorial.

Edit: If you are not confident in taking a router that spins like 15000-30000 RPM to your guitar I recomend you paint the binding on. Also if you want to spend very little money just paint it on. Good luck again.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Ethanb08
I also have the binding tape from stew macs and it does indeed stick very well and leaves no residue. But doing the actual process of binding, well I decided on my first guitar build I would bind it. And I must say truthfully I hate binding guitars. I thought the hardest part of the build would be making the neck, nope... binding.

Basically you need to route out a channel with a bearing router bit like previously said (make sure its the right size for your binding, or you can shave down the wood so it is flush with your binding, or a template router bit could be used, just keep the bearing on the binding.)
On stewmacs they have ball bearing bits that match the size of the binding, such as these:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Binding/Binding_Router_Bit_Set.html
But they also have these which are possibly the single handedly worst bit ever made and I cannot stress that enough:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Binding/Piloted_Binding_Router_Bit.html
Do not get the latter one, it sucks, you could get it and a the 1/8 to 1/4 adapter but it is cheap and you will probably end up just ruining your project, the bit my move cause the adapter does not do anything about tightening the bit therefore create a messed up binding channel, so save your self the money and misfortune in the long run and get the first bits i linked. These ones are far superior to the non bearing ones. Trust me I speak from experience... I almost ruined my project.

Anyways after you route the channel to the proper width and depth (route it so the binding sticks up a little then scrape it down later) you get your binding out and start at one of the ends which is normally one of the sides of the neck pocket leave some over hang and scrap it off later. Anyways you will need to heat gun it so it gets soft and easy to bend, but not to much or it will melt and be ruined... *sighs* maybe get some extra binding stuff just to practice with. Also I think binding is flamible so be careful. After you melt and conform it to the shape of the guitar you will need to start glueing it. you could use gorrila glue or some epoxy maybe, I used gorrila glue and it worked well for me. Then tape with binding tape, or rubber bands and keep heat gunning and glueing and tapeing till you get to the other end of the neck pocket. The scrap any overhang off with a scraper (you can get em at hardware stores i think, or woodcraft stores) Then post pics of you beautiful project. Good luck.

Heres stew macs tutorial.

Edit: If you are not confident in taking a router that spins like 15000-30000 RPM to your guitar I recomend you paint the binding on. Also if you want to spend very little money just paint it on. Good luck again.

thanks this should help me alot

and i wasnt really thinking of doing the neck just the body and head stock, or would that look weird?

and also would be doing the back be a waste of time?.
My Gear
Guitars
Esp Ltd EC100QM
Esp Ltd EC1000 Deluxe

Amps
Randall RG100G3
Randall 2x12 Extension Cab

Effects
Zoom 9.2tt
Last edited by xBENNYx at Jul 31, 2009,