Like the title says i modded my squier strat in a attempt to make it cancel out hum with the selector in 2 front front position.

I succeded in the hum department but the pickups sound nasaly i think, is this normal for two single coils to do when working to cancel the hum?

I am also playing it through a digitech rp155 thru some computer speakers, and the distortion is molten but it does'nt have the bass when compared to using just either the individual coils with the selector.

I just wanna know if i normal or not to have it cut the bass when in hum canceling position, and if it's not how do i fix it?

Thank you
The low bass is probably due to your smallcomputer speakers. Play through an amp with a bigger speaker.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
The low bass is probably due to your smallcomputer speakers. Play through an amp with a bigger speaker.

Really doubt it's the speakers since TS says it doesn't lose bass when playing each pickup individually. I'm not sure what happened but it seems like u messed up in the wiring.

EDIT: One of the things about the mustang's pickup wiring is that u can reverse the phasing on the pickups (2nd on position on mustangs). Maybe you somehow did this by accident? Also i think mustang's pickups aren't grounded? I may have completely misread this though...
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jul 15, 2009,
i also just realized i forgot to mention i used the rear pickup to achieve the hum canceling by switching the wires going to the ground and selector switch backwards.

mayne this has something to do with the lack of bass?
Quote by kerpus
i also just realized i forgot to mention i used the rear pickup to achieve the hum canceling by switching the wires going to the ground and selector switch backwards.

mayne this has something to do with the lack of bass?

yes, you reversed the phasing, giving it that shrill sound

if you wire it up normally, but just put the pickups in series, you will get hum cancelling, and a much fatter tone.
Firstly, it sounds like you've wired your bridge pickup to be out of phase with the others. This is not hum cancelling, you should actually have more noise than before like this. It is also why you have less bass.
Its not neccessarily a bad thing though, a lot of people, myself included, find the out of phase sound to be very useful.

Second, you do not have to wire pickups in series for them to be hum-cancelling. The 2 and 4 positions on a strat are hum-cancelling, and they are wired in parallel.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb