when i pick strings i like to rest my pinky finger under the strings for more stability.

but as i watch like other people play a lot of them make their hand almost into a fist and play really good like that rofl. and when i try to play it like that i suck and miss all the strings i want to hit.

should i get into the habit of picking in fist?
I also play alot of just acoustic but about ready to move into electric riffs and songs.
No.... Fist = bad.

Resting your pinky on the body is totally acceptable and very common. You should work towards lifting it off the body but I wouldn't try to change anything too much.
Quote by Ekofu
No.... Fist = bad.

Resting your pinky on the body is totally acceptable and very common. You should work towards lifting it off the body but I wouldn't try to change anything too much.

+1
Your picking hand should be relaxed.

Relax your hand and look at it - thats pretty much what it should look like when you're picking.

Ideally you shouldn't rely on keeping your pinky in contact with your guitar as a reference point though - check out the techniques sticky section on anchoring, it explains the disadvantages of what you're doing.

The only reason you miss strings when you're not anchoring is you need a bit more practice. Slow down, and let your hand get used to it - you'll soon be able to judge where the strings are without a problem.
Quote by Ekofu
No.... Fist = bad.

Uh no. Fist =/= bad, tension = bad. Whatever way you are relaxed playing is generally the best for you. I have my hand closed up into a semi-fist because that is what it retracts to normally when I'm not using any of the muscles in my forearm to extend any fingers.
Most people would be the same. with your hand in a loose fist your hand and finger tendons are doing the least work, meaning least tension.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
I seem to adopt closed hand positions in different situations/note sequences depending on which string I mute/play but it's never tightly or completely closed.
Yeh fist=bad...as everyone has said, also using your pinky like that=bad.

I would like to add another thing though: Using your arm muscles to extend your fingers=bad. I use hybrid picking, and my fingers are controled by their own muscles and my hand muscles- they are not pointing out away from my hand, nor are they in a fist. They are just relaxed when I'm not using them, ready to be used. The only part of my hand other than that to touch the guitar is my palm- when I'm palm muting.

Using this method I dont have a problem with picking.
Quote by chainsawguitar

I would like to add another thing though: Using your arm muscles to extend your fingers=bad. I use hybrid picking, and my fingers are controled by their own muscles and my hand muscles

Except the muscles in you fingers and hands are connected by muscles and tendons in your forearm to your bones, good luck using only the muscles in your fingers not connected to anything to pull your fingers around.
I said a loose fist, sort of like you would close your hand around the handle of a bat but without actively holding it closed.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.