I'm not a great heavy metal fan, but I quite like Metallica. I haven't heard much of their music, but I've heard some of their popular stuff.

I know of a lot of other Metal bands (Dragonforce, Slayer, Slipknot etc.) and honestly I can't stand them. They're too thrashy and they don't sound at all musical.

The whole reason I like Metallica is their combination of clean sounds and heavy distortion. But a lot of their music uses melodic clean tunes with a dreamy guitar effect. And I quite like that.

But to me this doesn't sound very much like metal. I may be very much wrong, but listening to the likes of One and Enter Sandman, I think they may be more of a Heavy Rock band, not quite 'thrash' enough to be metal.

I might be wrong, but this is just what I think
Yes, Metallica is europop.

EDIT: And how is One not metal? So what if it has some clean parts, it has a pretty heavy bit and it's like saying Opeth isn't metal because they like folk and Super Mario.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Jul 15, 2009,
F*ck off and listen to Ride the Lightining. Then f*ck off again.
Not everyone likes metal...

FUCK THEM!
Last edited by MapleHead at Jul 15, 2009,
Metal is a broad genre
Look at the early stuff, Master Of Puppets, Kill 'Em All, that's trash, Metallica changed a bit, but they're still metal

edit: And Butt Rayge sig says he's a hot dog hehe
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by MapleHead

no need to get angry

The Black Album isn't quite as "thrashy" as their other albums (excluding st. anger), but it's pretty much all metal
dragonforce, slipknot and slayer.
you have just encompassed and spanned the entire spectrum of metal in these three bands.
you are know able to provide a legit' opinion on the entire genre of metal.

yes. metallica are metal, and thrash metal at that for a large portion of their history.
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

Quote by MapleHead

after reading your sig and comment, its safe to assume you are immensely arrogant.

and yeah, metallica's later stuff has more melodic elements.
they certainly decreased in extremity since their early days, but there are probably songs you would still like from the early era, such as Fade To Black and Welcome Home.
As I said on youtube: "Metal isnt always about being heavy!". For me, I would struggle to consider drangonforce as metal- but then I like bands such as: motorhead, black label society, grand magus, and METALLICA.

For me, those bands are what metal is, and I think the problem with the term "metal", is its too broad as a genre, i mean, I would consider myself a metaller, but I dont like slipknot, or cathedral.

To conclude: Metallica is metal, but its a different metal to dragonforce.
even if it isn't as metal as their earlier albums....

...who cares?
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by sfaune92
edit: And Butt Rayge sig says he's a hot dog hehe

Somebody finally noticed!

Although i wrote it there under the impression that it said 'I am the sausage'
Quote by Butt Rayge
Somebody finally noticed!

Although i wrote it there under the impression that it said 'I am the sausage'

Wurst means sausage, but it can also mean hot dog
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
Quote by destöroyah
dragonforce, slipknot and slayer.
you have just encompassed and spanned the entire spectrum of metal in these three bands.

Did you know who the bloody LLN were before you liked metal?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by jonnowev
First 4 albums and Death Fagnetic = Metal

Everything else = Hard rock
Agreed.
Quote by jonnowev
First 4 albums and Death Fagnetic = Metal

Everything else = Hard rock

Eh, even AJFA seems to be "stale" compared to KEM/RTL, I don't know if it's because of the zero influence from Dave, but it's more Heavy Metal than Thrash.
Quote by Grindar
Eh, even AJFA seems to be "stale" compared to KEM/RTL, I don't know if it's because of the zero influence from Dave, but it's more Heavy Metal than Thrash.

It seems stale because it IS stale, a reflection of where the band was at that point in their career, but it's still metal. And this is about whether they're metal, not specifically thrash.
Sure they softened up over the years a bit. But after the first four albums, there's enough metal for them to try other stuff and still be metal.
umm... so because metallica doesn't fit your idea of metal they aren't metal? they're very much metal... Kill Em All - Thrashtastic... Master of Puppets - \m/... Ride the Lightning - I dare you to call that not metal.. And Justice for All - Ditto...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
there's a metallica thread for stuff like this >.<
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
this thread is totally pointless.
like : is metallica metal? is metallica worth listening to?
god, even your grandmother knows the answer to those
Quote by sound-byte

Haha yes, true.
Quote by sound-byte

yes
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.