How easy is it to achieve this?
What amp settings makes this work best?
Do you need specific types of pickups? (Actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils?)
Do you really have to scream into your pickups? Like would it be audible if it was through an amp loud enough to be heard at a small gig, without people hearing my actual scream? I think it'd sound a bit rediculous.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Pickups aren't microphones, bud.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiDP47Qjcr8

If you scream into your pickups, you can get a pretty weird sound from them apparently. I wanna know how to do this.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Juadafi
Pickups aren't microphones, bud.

It still works!
Not well though, it's hard to actually make out what people are saying!

& I don't actually know any answers for you, sorry
I know if I hold my phone speaker to my pickups it plays alright, but I've never tried screaming into them. If I were you I'd get a mic, an two way input to your amp or into the PA and some effects pedals.

I saw Pendulum last year and he uses a pedal for his voice, and it sounds pretty damn awesome.
Quote by MalGanisWL
i cant see how it works,«

Thinking of it, pickups are somewhat microphonic, but afaik expensive pickups try as hard as possible not to be microphonic. Most tubes in amps are microphonic too, but only to a small degree.

It works with the speaker on my phone because there's metal in the cone in the speaker moving back and forward, which is the same as strings on the guitar.
I have no idea how it works either. When I've heard it it sounds pretty cool so I wanna try it out =/

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
To my understanding is to how it works, is it's like harmonics. When you play the high E string really loud, you can get harmonics to ring through the B and A strings. The principle I believe is the same for screaming into them.
As to how you do it, I'm not sure. You could just send an email to Paul Gilbert. :p
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Can you do it on solid state amps? <_<

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I'm gonna give this a try at band practice today cause we've got a break in one of our songs for like 4 seconds. If it works well I'll try and find my way back to this thread and let you know. I've always wanted to do it just never thought to while actually with the band.
Surely it works because the vibrating air coming from your mouth makes the strings vibrate at that frequency? Like if someone next door is playing music very loud, and you can feel the bassline if you touch the wall. So the strings vibrate because of your voice, which induces a current in the coils of the pick up etc etc?

So yeah: you'll need loads of gain and compression like has been said, because i imagin your voice wont make the strings vibrate much
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Compression?
I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to amps.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by pigeonmafia
Surely it works because the vibrating air coming from your mouth makes the strings vibrate at that frequency? Like if someone next door is playing music very loud, and you can feel the bassline if you touch the wall. So the strings vibrate because of your voice, which induces a current in the coils of the pick up etc etc?

They would just vibrate as normal, producing their notes. It's the same as picking them except its the air that's making them move, not the pick.
VERY VERY VERY high output humbuckers, Paul Gilbert and Alexi Laiho are the only two iv seen scream into their pickups.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
But Paul Gilbert doesn't use very high output. He uses PAFs. :/

Juadafi, yelling into them at the right pitches would cause the strings to creat harmonics relative to your voice. Play the high e, mute it, then listen carefully for the other strings that are making sound. That's not the air. :/
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Doesn't have anything to do with the strings. Pickups are just a little bit microphonic. This might work better with pups that aren't wax potted?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Crank the gain! I have done it and I play low output pickups.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
@ TS: pickups are designed to pick up sound... hence the naming convention. i don't think it takes a whole lot to make noise around them and get them to output it through an amp. get as close to the pickup as the string and scream away. i could hear my friend's watch ticking through his pickups once.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by konfyouzd
@ TS: pickups are designed to pick up sound... hence the naming convention. i don't think it takes a whole lot to make noise around them and get them to output it through an amp. get as close to the pickup as the string and scream away. i could hear my friend's watch ticking through his pickups once.

Guitar pickups are designed to pick up vibrations of magnetic metals through electromagnetic induction. I'm guessing it wasn't the sound the pickup was catching from the watch, but the magnetic induction was just creating a current in the pickups through the change of magnetic flux.

*nerd-mode off*
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

It's not just high output humbuckers, in the beginning of Closer by the Kings of Leon the guitarist screams into his pickups for a spooky noise.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
they way i have always done it. is put your neck on the actual neck of the guitar down by the 15th-17th fret. the vibrations from your vocal chords against the strings will give you more clarity. so its a little difference where just yelling into them you will get a muffled incoherent tone while this way you can literally speak through your guitar.
Gear

Epiphone Les paul
Vox ac50cp2
Ibanez s520ex
Squire Jazzbass
Quote by Kanthras
Guitar pickups are designed to pick up vibrations of magnetic metals through electromagnetic induction. I'm guessing it wasn't the sound the pickup was catching from the watch, but the magnetic induction was just creating a current in the pickups through the change of magnetic flux.

*nerd-mode off*

you can also hear voices and the second arms of watches, so clearly they pick up more vibrations than just the ones that come off of metal strings...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by konfyouzd
you can also hear voices and the second arms of watches, so clearly they pick up more vibrations than just the ones that come off of metal strings...

Well, that's just microphonics.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Guys... just scream into the pickups. Or talk. You can hear it. Even if there aren't strings on your guitar. Instead of arguing, why don't you just... oh, I don't know... TRY IT!
Yeah, Gilbert does it and his voice is clear enough to understand him say GET OUT OF MY YARD.

There's also a (Young Buckethead?) video of Buckethead and Maximum Bob where Bucket is hiding the closet and he screams into his pickups.

I just haven't gotten it as clear as Gilbert.