I have just got my guitar back from the shop after the headstock came off. It's an Ibanez RG370DX so it's got the floyd rose and locking top nut etc, but every time I tune it, it knocks straight back into tune, when it used to stay in tune for weeks on end with constant playing. Like literally I'm tuning it and by the time i've tuned the D string the low E is practically Eb.

Help?
wait. your last sentence. isn't that what happens when tuning a floyd? you retune one string, and the others are out. and you just gotta keep going through the process til they all stay close enough for the fine tuners?
Quote by wildozer
wait. your last sentence. isn't that what happens when tuning a floyd? you retune one string, and the others are out. and you just gotta keep going through the process til they all stay close enough for the fine tuners?

I was gunna say, its because you have a floyd rose. They probably just stuck the head stock back on, and didnt set it up for E standard. So as you're tuning up to standard (you'd have to be tuning up to standard if the 6th string is dropping in pitch) the string your tuning is increasing in tension, and because the floyd is floating, the other strings will decrease in tension
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Jul 15, 2009,
Yea sorry, i re read what you said and changed my post
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Stretch them,

in an article it told me Turn Your pick-up switch to the neck pickup, turn tone knobs all the way down.)

Make an Harmonic On the twelfth Fret and then tune it, Then Stretch it, Tune it again, Stretch it again. Go on with this untill it stays in tune After you stretched it.

DO this with all the Strings.
And when your done Check all the strings if they are in tune, if they aren't Stretch again.

P.s DOn't Pull to hard, but also not to soft ! (lol my Little e Snapped, while i was doing this)
ya im with wildozer. thats what mine does, but i dont know why this would have just started happening.
JOE DYE
Quote by dancelasvegas
No it is in E standard. I mean I tune E then A and then by the time I've tuned D the E is out completely and the A is slowly following.

that's a floating bridge for you mate. it'll take a bit of time to get it in tune and also if it's new strings then it will need time to stretch
Quote by dancelasvegas
No it is in E standard. I mean I tune E then A and then by the time I've tuned D the E is out completely and the A is slowly following.

Thats what happens when you have a floting trem. I have a floating trem. if you are tuning from one tuning to another, puting on new strings, or just plain old tuning, its what happens, I dont use the locks on mine, sure it may trash the strings, but its better than taking them off everytime i play just to reattach them,

in a floyd rose all the strings tension must be equal if you tune one string higher than the other(and increase the tension of that string) all the rest of the strings are pulled out of tune. You must find the balance of tension and tune for all the strings. And that takes longer than just tuning your strings.