This was inspired by the Norton guitars' ability to turn on 27.5 degree angles either way. it made me think, maybe i can get a box (tin, plastic, whatever, like from a stompbox kit or a radioshack kit) and put pickups on the top & bottom of it. cut a hole in where the bridge & middle pickups go, and put a fernandes sustainer in the neck (so i can hold notes while switching), should look something like this,

hope you like my ms paint skills

i just want to know if this is worth spending $100+ on a body & neck to cut a big hole in it. also any suggestions as to my design. i need to find a way to lock it in in each position. and where i can find a body, too, besides ebay and warmoth.

thanks
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
If this thing is going to spin all the way around with multiple pickups make sure you wire it in a way that it will keep the wires from continuously tangling with each other as it spins.
Quote by mattvl
If this thing is going to spin all the way around with multiple pickups make sure you wire it in a way that it will keep the wires from continuously tangling with each other as it spins.

still trying to figure that out. sorry i forgot to mention it in the first post.

any ideas though?
Quote by Steve46

If you don't have it be a complete rotation, and just go from let's say angle 40º to angle 320º or something along those lines, it would work. That way the wires wouldn't wrap completely around. They'd only have to be just long enough. (Hope that makes sense).
superman is killing himself tonight
Quote by ice condition
still trying to figure that out. sorry i forgot to mention it in the first post.

any ideas though?

I'm no electrician, but you could try it the same way as BMX handlebars work, because you can turn them all the way around without the break cables tangling.

I love the idea.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Sorry, but that diagram makes absolutely no sense to me.

Where does the whole thing pivot? Describe the movement.
How do you do something like that without the strings interfering?

Assuming you come up with something that works, why don't you just get a block of wood and make a prototype body first so you don't waste you money?
Quote by Juadafi
I'm no electrician, but you could try it the same way as BMX handlebars work, because you can turn them all the way around without the break cables tangling.

I love the idea.

Those are just mechanical cables, not electrical connections.
^

Yeah, I meant the same principle but adapted for electric cables. Don't ask how, it's just an idea :]
sorry i wasn't very discriptive in my picture, what i want is it to slide out through the back, rotate around, and then slide back into the body, sorta like how you load a revolver, so that the pickups that were on the back are now in the front
Quote by Steve46

It looks like a conveyer belt in the picture, which actually is probably a better idea than what you meant.
yeah but that would require more space than there is, theres just barely enough room for that as it is. unless i get like a bass or baritone or something. i'll draw somethign quick in paint to show it a little better
Quote by Steve46

hopefully that clears things up.

wiring should all fit in the box though (i want a rockfield fatass and ibanez powersound on one side, and a quadbucker & ? on the other, or maybe a octobucker , if you can even do that.)

also, sorry for double post.
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by ice condition
i just want to know if this is worth spending $100+ on a body & neck to cut a big hole in it.
imho, it isn't.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
imho, it isn't.

i read that. and then i read your sig. beign a dickhead has it's benefits, too, doesn't it?
Quote by Steve46

The magnetic fields will play havoc with each other methinks, not to mention the fact that you've isolated the pickups from the guitar body - part of the sound is due to the way the pickup itself vibrates when you strike a string, that's not going to happen with your idea.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
The magnetic fields will play havoc with each other methinks, not to mention the fact that you've isolated the pickups from the guitar body - part of the sound is due to the way the pickup itself vibrates when you strike a string, that's not going to happen with your idea.

hmm i didn't think about that. although the norton guitars work without the wood, except on the sides, i haven't heard any sound demos but they're supposedly "revolutionary" in terms of sound. i could always use a wood box, too, maybe?

worse comes to worse i just get some A-B-C blocks and glue em together to fill the hole
Quote by Steve46

I always thought a sliding pickup would be cool.
Like just 1 humbucker in a guitar but you could slide it into any position.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by ice condition
i read that. and then i read your sig. beign a dickhead has it's benefits, too, doesn't it?
lol. that's mainly for the benefit of whiny little wankers in The Pit.
Honestly, I see a ton of complication in your design and relatively little benefit.
I don't think you're being a dickhead.
At the same time, I don't see much function in this design.

Quote by Woogles
iirc, Gibson marketed a few guitars or basses with a sliding pickup.
Maybe one was called The Grabber?
Anyway, they didn't sell well.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Woogles

that seems cool. but I don't think most pickups sound good in every position. for example, EMG 85 sounds good at neck, not bridge.
What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with this, in terms of sound?
Instantly switchable pickups? It doesn't seem very useful to me to be honest.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
hmm well if i can't do that, would 5 stacked single coils be playable all at once?

EDIT: i didn't see the 5 new posts before i put this.

what i hope to accomplish is the sounds i use most on my ibanez already (rockfield fatass & ibanez powersound, [powersound sounds great for beign stock] and then experiment with a bunch of stacked coils, so i can have a

deca-octo-sexta-quadra-bucker!

if i can figure out how to wire that, that is . .
Quote by Steve46

Last edited by ice condition at Jul 15, 2009,

Dude, there are much better things to be trying to design than this. Just give it a rest and come up with something else. Try to consider the usefulness of your ideas before you spend your time trying to bring them to fruition.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
but i haven't the slightest clue X_X i thought i was finally getting somewhere with this . . . haha.
Quote by Steve46