My friend James came over to try out my new amp. He brought along his Gibson Les Paul Standard, from 1977. It was in great shape.

I didn't think it would be much different to a £2000 strat that I played, which wasn't great.

But it was incredible. The most I've paid for a guitar is £400, I thought that was quite a lot. But this Les Paul was absolutely beautiful.

Any other experiences with surprisingly amazing guitars?
played a £7000 ESP Iron Cross..the first one they made at a guitar show
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Played my dad's Gibson LP Gold Top from the 60's. Didnt think it was that great tbh, but then it's not really buit for metal is it
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
£30000 pound yes thirty thousand pound gretsch from the early fifties that was once owned by some famous jazz guitarist, it was on a special display for a week in one of the guitar stores i frequent.......they went bust last year......totally sweet tone just not my preference and i know the store manager from way back and was invited to have a go of it........wouldn`t pay that sort of cash for a axe though.
Back in the seventies I had a LP Black Beauty P90's and that played well and sounded amazing. But it was too heavy for long gigs so I swapped it for a '61 Les Paul Custom 3 pup SG shape. Brilliant axe. So I know a nice guitar when I find one.
One day I was in Blackpool and saw something odd in a store there. It was like a double cut LP but tapered body and DiMarzio pups, 24 fret Ebony board, through neck all Walnut. It was £325 and I nearly took the salesman's arm off. It was a Pack Leader. Nothing I have ever played felt anywhere near as good. And that includes the 6000 euro Slash LP currently in my local shop.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I played a few 1959 LP reissues (i would never buy one though)... one of them was actually pretty nice sounded like liquid sex.

Then you try other ones and they all sound different and most of them odn't even sound that great.

But this one that i tried, oh lordy, if i actually liked the LP shape and happen to have about $10000 lying around, hell yea i'd have prolly bought it
I played a really nice set up Ibanez S5470 and a Jackson RR5FR. Those felt amazing, although I know they're not the best guitars out there.
I've played a late 90s or early 00s Gibbo LP custom. Bit of a disappointment really - sounded very dull and compressed.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
I've played a 1954 Strat previously owned by Jeff Beck. That was damn nice but nowhere near worth the price tag that was on it - £37,400.
I've played a 1952 Telecaster, £28,950. That wasn't that amazing.
Ages back I played a 1954 Gibson Goldtop LP, the one with cream P-90 pickups and a single piece wraparound bridge. That's the holy grail of guitars for me. Pretty much the greatest thing I've ever experienced. Slight problem, price tag was £47,800.

I've played a truck load of other vintage guitars with huge price tags, but no others have particularly stuck in my mind.

Really the only ''expensive'' guitar I've ever played that was actually worth the price tag is the Gibson I own. Even then, I do sometimes think the Fender Custom Shop would make any guitar I wanted for less than this guitar cost, and maybe that would have been a better option... meh.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I own a 1959 Gibson les Paul Junior. Its been customised, but has original interantal parts. It had a new finish, and an added tune-o-matric bridge, so it feels more like a standard. It plays and sonds great.

And a 1963 Fender Stratocaster. Its worth around $23,000 But honestly, I'd take a Gibson Les Paul Supreme over that any day.
i played a 1,300$ carvin at the carvin store here in la. it was one of the nicest guitars ive played. i plan on getting me that guitar one day. after i get a job of course.
nobody will ever touch it but me. nobody.
Classical Guitarist
I've played a lot of guitars at my friend's house, but these are the expensive ones I played.
Gibson Les Paul Studio - Played like a dream.
MIA Fender Stratocaster - Played a little better than my guitar, but mine plays pretty well.
Some 12 string acoustic/electric - Played alright. Hard to get used to though.

Quote by Hoodoo Child
played a £7000 ESP Iron Cross..the first one they made at a guitar show

I hate you.
The most expensive instruments I've played were the following

1968 Gibson SG - Yes, it was a real '68. The Pickups were not original though, some kind of Duncans. Nonetheless, it played and sounded fantastic. This one belongs to my friends dad.
1980 Gibson Les Paul - Only got to jam out on it for about 10 minutes, but it was definitely the smoothest playing, best sounding LP I've ever had the pleasure of playing The shop wanted about $2800 for it though, and I surely didn't have that on me! :/

Other than that, I played an early 90's USA strat that was also one of the best guitars I've ever played. Even though my explorer is worth about the same amount/maybe more, it doesn't compare IMO.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Jul 16, 2009,
$5000AUD PRS, it didn't feel as great as i expected, but i was playing unplugged.
my guitar teacher's parker fly, it feels amazing, not sure about price though.
I played an 11000$ 25th Anniversary Les Paul Custom. Felt AWESOME to play.
I can play guitar!

Randy Rhoads FTW!

Proud owner of a GMW Polka Dot V.

Gear:
GMW Polka Dot V
Gibson Explorer Pro
Epiphone G-400

Peavey Bandit 112
I saw a guy who owned the guitar store playing the fender frankenstrat ($70,000 AU). Played like **** apparently, tonnes of fret buzz and dead frets.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I played a white falcon once. it was cool, hollowbodies are too thick for me though.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
I've played a Carvin, they're pretty pricy in Finland 1200-1500 € for a new DC-127. It was the most comfortable guitar I've played so far

I've also played a Gibson Les Paul Standard, it played and felt like a Les Paul.

And I've played a Fender USA Fat Strat, it also felt and played good, the neck felt a bit different to "normal" USA strats that I've played thugh.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
The nicest guitars I've played have been an original 56 Strat, a PRS Private Stock similar to a Modern Eagle and a Tele made by a luthier I don't remember. They weren't the most expensive (the cheapest one was the Tele, and it costed about 8000 €, but it seriously was the nicest guitar I've ever had in my hands), but definitely better than the rest.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
Everytime the PRS Private Stocks come in I get to check them out. Always a good day with those guitars. And pretty much all the PRS´s that we get are high dollar except the se models but they are ok to.
I have always been scared to play anything that costs more then 2K I think the most expensive guitar ive played was a custom made strat that is owned by the local music store owner the most expensive new guitar was probably the zakk wylde epi ZV with the zakk EMG set
played dime's personal Dean from Hell ..pricele$$
"When I tried to play something and screwed up, I'd hear some other note that would come into play. Then I started trying different things to find the beauty in it."
-Dimebag Darrell
i have a shop reasonably near here which has a fair few norlin era gibsons. they are very nice. the biggest surprise was the '65 melody maker. it was amazing!
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Meh the best i've played is a Fender Custom Shop Strat from 2004. It was beautiful, there is no denial there.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
I played mf bandmates dads Gibson LP from early 70s, but honesltly, i like my axe better.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Well, There's the Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Thinline (Semi-Hollow) Which I own one of. I can't find another guitar that is just like it. I tried a Made In Mexico Tele Thinline which was also semi-hollow and it was pretty good too but it didn't seem to be much better considering the price gap. (I paid $230 for my Tele and the MIM Tele was $750 or so)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by Gorblethorp
I played a $300,000 LP with diamond hardware.

omg me too
It's all about feel
7000 dollar PRS, sexy beast.

and some like 12,000 dollar acoustic, cant even remember what it was.
Most expensive guitar I played was a 1956 Fender Strat.
It's worth like $50,000. It wasn't much different from a 2006 strat physically, but it sounded a lot different, and the whammy was different.
My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul. A few weeks ago while at GC, I decided to pull a JEM 7VWH ( I think thats the name, worth about $2600 ) and play it. Needless to say, I never should have, because the access I had to the frets and just the whole feel of the next makes my Les Paul feel so bland. It's ok though, I'm just going to have to buy like a random prestige model so I can have the feel, though without that sweet ass looking tree of life inlay
Quote by Mikehugo2415
My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul. A few weeks ago while at GC, I decided to pull a JEM 7VWH ( I think thats the name, worth about $2600 ) and play it. Needless to say, I never should have, because the access I had to the frets and just the whole feel of the next makes my Les Paul feel so bland. It's ok though, I'm just going to have to buy like a random prestige model so I can have the feel, though without that sweet ass looking tree of life inlay

The JEM has a different neck profile from the normal Prestige guitar, as well as the stock Dimarzio pickups and an alder body.

That being said, I believe all of the J. Custom models have the tree of life inlay.
i think the most valuable guitar i played was a gibson les paul from 1953 with soapbar P-90s and the wrapover tailpiece. (think nigel tufnels goldtop from spinal tap - it was just like that!). a truly amazing guitar. it more or less played itself - why can't gibson make guitars like that anymore?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.