I am a guitarist but have recently been given a P-bass copy, i was wondering if it would be worth modding it to split the two pickups?

Would it have good tonal benefits?

Thanks
there would be no benefit really. A p bass pickup works as one unit with each "pickup" handling 2 strings so splitting them would just result in at best a diminished signal from the other 2 strings
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
You could use it if you're playing is really sloppy, and you only play on either sets of those two strings. You turn one of the coils off (Split coil), play on the other two strings, and if you hit the other other two strings, it won't be as easy to hear. Hope that made sense.
Still essentially useless. :p
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Idea: Maybe it would make a difference to split them physically but still keep them on together all the time. For example, the higher strings further up the neck and the lower strings nearer the bridge. Or the other way around. Though that would take a lot of effort.
Quote by skater dan0
there would be no benefit really. A p bass pickup works as one unit with each "pickup" handling 2 strings so splitting them would just result in at best a diminished signal from the other 2 strings
This ^

Splitting a Pbass pair would be silly.
Installing a series/parallel switch would make MUCH more sense...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.