So im looking for a distortion/overdrive pedal again now that i know what i specifically am looking for. Since i've heard my other guitar players box of rock for a few months now and became jealous, im looking for a OD/Distortion for rhythm playing. From my research, similar pedals to the box of rock, with over the top overdrive into the distortion realm, include the radial tonebone bristish and the MI Audio Crunch Box

The tonebone looks awesome because it has tons of controls but it doesn't look like it has a boost which might be necessary. The MI Audio crunch box seems like it may be a little to "loose" sounding.

any other pedals i should look at? and don't say OCD.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
What gear are you using now??
gibson sg --> boss sd-1 --> red bear mk 60
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by pmeg568c

any other pedals i should look at? and don't say OCD.

I'd look into an amp that can produce the sound you want. I don't mind pedals for effects, but for overdrive I want that out of my amp.
im not getting a box of rock too. and i like my amp for now. it has nothing to do with the amp. it basically sounds like a treble heavy jcm 800.

i stumbled upon the wampler super plextortion. anyone heard good things about these?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Crowther Hot Cake. Awesome pedal. Voodoo lab's Sparkle Drive?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
well i kind of just want to boost it. i figure i might as well boost it with a nice pedal that will work well with it. plus the sound of my amp isn't perfect for me or anything. If i could run the pedal into a clean signal that would be cool too. no such thing as too much marshall tone.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
You might look into EQ pedal.
i dont need an attenuator. i can turn the amp up to 10 and play live shows. i just want suggestions for similar pedals. the sparkle drive isn't even close to what i want and neither is the hotcake. the dirty little secret sounds cool though
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by mmjohn
You might look into EQ pedal.

sigh YES i know this. but im looking for an OD. I would rather first have an OD that i could use for this amp and future amps.

plus i dont have a effects loop so i dunno how effective an EQ would be
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Well off the topic alone I was going to come in here and suggest the Tonebone.

Otherwise you could maybe look at the Xotic BB Preamp.(The single pedal, the double one sucks IMO... unless you wanted to buy mine)

Anyway, it's one of the most versatile ODs I've yet to try. It can go from a completely clean boost, to a mild crunch, to a lead sound with endless sustain.

Edit:

Which Tonebone were you looking at? The Hot British?

Try the Plexitube instead. That one has two channels, so you can use one for light rhythm stuff, one for heavier rhythm stuff, and combine the two to get a boosted lead sound...

I got a chance to borrow one of these for a couple weeks, very awesome.
Last edited by icronic at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by pmeg568c
sigh YES i know this. but im looking for an OD. I would rather first have an OD that i could use for this amp and future amps.

plus i dont have a effects loop so i dunno how effective an EQ would be

You can run it in front of the amp as a boost that can be tweaked to boost only what you want boosted.

Or, depending on how confident you are, you could always mod the amp to have an effects loop.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by icronic
Well off the topic alone I was going to come in here and suggest the Tonebone.

Otherwise you could maybe look at the Xotic BB Preamp.(The single pedal, the double one sucks IMO... unless you wanted to buy mine)

Anyway, it's one of the most versatile ODs I've yet to try. It can go from a completely clean boost, to a mild crunch, to a lead sound with endless sustain.

i almost bought the bb preamp once. i forgot why i didn't. ill have to look at that again. there are so many choices when it comes to stuff like this. sigh. i like how proguitarshop has a 50 day exchange/money back guarantee.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by STABxYOU
You can run it in front of the amp as a boost that can be tweaked to boost only what you want boosted.

Or, depending on how confident you are, you could always mod the amp to have an effects loop.

Yeah, EQs are still effective in front of an amp, especially if they have volume/gain on them, but they're still nowhere near as effective as they would be through an FX loop. In the loop an EQ can make your amp sound like a completely different amp, out front the amp sounds the same, but it's like you're changing guitars instead.

I'm not sure if you caught my edit, but if you were looking at the hot british Tonebone, check out the plexi one instead. I really don't think you'll find anything better than that.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Crowther Hot Cake. Awesome pedal. Voodoo lab's Sparkle Drive?

^^+1 with this guy awesome peddals. although since i have a behringer i dont need any british or Uk amp types or distortions, the come built in, with a crap ton of other effects as well.
Quote by icronic

Why tell him it sucks, then try to sell it to him?
Quote by pmeg568c
gibson sg --> boss sd-1 --> red bear mk 60

if i were you i would try to get off easy with moding the sd-1, people love this mod, and i have seen people use this over boutique pedals. the analogman mod smoothes the tone and gives more distortion. it may be your cheapest option
heard good things about the wamplers and crunch box, but i haven't tried either.

In addition to everything else you're trying, might be worth trying an HBE big D. It can get a bit bright through certain amps, though (but a lot of distortion pedals are like that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ thanks i actually heard some clips of that one the other day and i thought it sounded awesome. i dont mind a bright sounds it just has to still maintain its balls. ha.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Wampler Plextortion would be my suggestion.
I'm tryinta spread the word on Wamplers. They're incredible.
You have a lot of choices.
For a classic rock tone the Plexidrive is great (sounds a lot like AccaDacca, according to more than just the Wampler website),
There's also the Plextortion (edging into harder territory, but still decidedly classic. Like a JCM800 that hasn't been pushed to any extremes)
And the Super Plextortion (sounds like what the JCM900 should have been)
If you want a bit of brown in your tone, the Pinnacle is ridiculously good - better than the "Brown Sound In A Box". It's got that Brown Sound and a whole lot more, and enough range in its controls to let you sound like more than just an Eddie imitator.
Of course, the Top 30 or whatever it's called is also a superb British voiced overdrive, but rather less suitable for what I expect you'll be playing. Quite warm, spongy, with undeniable harmonic richness but it's probablyt not tight enough for you, although that's not to say it lacks that type of clarity.
Quote by pmeg568c
^ thanks i actually heard some clips of that one the other day and i thought it sounded awesome. i dont mind a bright sounds it just has to still maintain its balls. ha.

yeah. through my valve junior (which is pretty warm-sounding) and with my darker-sounding guitars, it's fine, but with brighter amps and guitars it can be a bit much. and the tone control is a bit strange, it doesn't seem to work like normal tone controls, so it's not just really a matter of rolling down the tone on the pedal, kind of thing.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i think right now i am leaning toward the super plextortion. not only do all the clips sound awesome but im reading that the treble is a little backed off on it, which would be good for my amp. also that its great for chunky rhythm work.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Catalinbread DLS or SCOD.
Pigtronix Polysaturator?
Xotix BB Preamp.
Way Huge Fat Sandwich.
Carl Martin Plexitone?
Tech 21 GT2.