Hello,

I am a beginning guitarist and am trying to find my own tone and genre, currently I like me some Brian May, Van Halen, Santana and some slash is alright I guess. I also play some BB King and some David Sylvian.

I am just in need of some suggestions for an Amp, I will most likely not use it for gigs, so I guess, according to the sticky thread a 15 to 30 watt would be sufficient. My problem is, I want to buy one which cannot only do clean high gain, distortion well, but I also want it to be very good in clean sounds.

I saw a couple of amps,

Vox VT 15 /30?
Marshall MG15
Vox AD 15/ 30?
Roland Micro Cube?!?

thanks in advance guys, it is really appreciated.

-Harald
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Gold Top
Vox VT30
DEFINATELY NOT THE MARSHALL... those amps are really terrible and onlly sell because of the brand name on them.. Marshall makes good high end amps, but their low end are just bad.

and get the Microcube... good amp IMO. You'll like it
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
In my opinion, you probably won't enjoy the tone of the Marshall

and Since the VT15/30 are the newer versions of the significantly worse (but not bad) AD 15/30

So I guess I can limit your options to the Micro Cube (A great little AMP, not sure how well it does blues)

or the Vox VT 15/30.

Sorry I can't really do anything /shrug You should go try them both out and see which tone you like better.
Quote by pak1351
I'd get the vox vt30 out of those choices, but look into a super champ xd as well

That and like ^ said, budget? Nearest major metropolis?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by odtpdriver
what is your price range?

budget is about 150 euro's, 200 if I call in a few favours.

So far, I hear roland is great.
Vox VT30
people not that keen on hybrids from vox?
Vox VT30
Quote by darkravers009

I have a SS Vox Da5 that is perfect for what i use it for. The VT's are better in a lot of ways. Try one, good amp for the money.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by darkravers009

I love mine and it's the older AD series. Can really get a lot of god tones from it. I also have a microcube and it is nowhere near as versatile as the Vox, and it's mid gain sounds are slightly lacking. I vote for the VT30!
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
The roland is nice if you mostly play metal but for your genres the vox would be better.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Really all you can do is try the amps out and let your ear decide.

Or go used on Craigslist.

But out of all those, I'm going with the VT15 ($200). I've played around on them a couple of times and they are a damn good practice amp for the money
Don't wanna sound like a total dickhead but honestly, if you're just starting, I'd say get a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt combo. It sucks, but if you're a starter, I recommend a cheapo practice amp with effects like this. When you get better and are sure you want to continue playing, buy a more expensive amp. Trust me. A real beginner can't tell the difference between an MG and a JCM800. I say cheap amp and when it starts to sound crappy and you get better, cough up like $500+ for a decent tube amp. It's the cheapest thing on the list. you just need to get any sound to practice. doesn't have to be great. And spiders aren't that bad. People just hate them because you can do waaay better by paying like $100 more, which is a 100% increase in price, which is a lot for a starter.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
Don't wanna sound like a total dickhead but honestly, if you're just starting, I'd say get a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt combo. It sucks, but if you're a starter, I recommend a cheapo practice amp with effects like this. When you get better and are sure you want to continue playing, buy a more expensive amp. Trust me. A real beginner can't tell the difference between an MG and a JCM800. I say cheap amp and when it starts to sound crappy and you get better, cough up like $500+ for a decent tube amp. It's the cheapest thing on the list. you just need to get any sound to practice. doesn't have to be great. And spiders aren't that bad. People just hate them because you can do waaay better by paying like $100 more, which is a 100% increase in price, which is a lot for a starter.

Don't recommend that man.

Peavey vypyr 15 and roland microcube are the same price and far superior in tone.
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Jul 15, 2009,
well, what I would like to know is, how do they sound like when in clean and no distortion, maybe little reverb or something, nothing too much. Is the vox realy worth the extra 80 euro's? I mean I can get the roland for 99, which is pretty darn cheap and after hearing all those reviews...

and what do you guys think about an Ibanez TBX 30R ? Good, bad or downright ghastly? I can get that one for 130 eur.
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue for the same price, altough I know nothing about these two amps.
Vox VT30
Last edited by darkravers009 at Jul 15, 2009,
I'm pretty sure the Ibanez toneblasters are crap.

Don't know about the H&K.

The vox sounds great on the numerous clean channels it has. It's a vox. If you are mainly a clean player, I would say the vox is your best bet

Do you have anyway to try these out at a local shop?
Quote by MetalHead916
I'm pretty sure the Ibanez toneblasters are crap.

Don't know about the H&K.

The vox sounds great on the numerous clean channels it has. It's a vox. If you are mainly a clean player, I would say the vox is your best bet

Do you have anyway to try these out at a local shop?

well, some not all. I will try them, off course, but I just need opinions:P
Vox VT30
Obviously listen to them and see which you prefer.
Take a look at a fender superchamp, they're great.

Keep away from the Marshall, I have one and hate it *cough* sorry, what am I saying, yes, yes, get the Marshall, I have one I can sell to you very cheap!

Yeah, from the list vox looks best-but from what you said, a small good fender would be good. And ignore that guy saying Line 6, overdrive is the only effect you need when you start, and you can get that just by turning up the amp and you want to let your ears get accustomed to good tone as opposed to Line 6 crap.

EDIT: Also, don't get seduced by amps with ****loads of effects, there's no point when you start out. You need to learn how to use each effect precisely and to it's maximum and how to make it sound good, instead of just whacking on everything, or clicking a switch and getting "tone".

Listen to me dude
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Last edited by Cachao at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Cachao

Keep away from the Marshall, I have one and hate it *cough* sorry, what am I saying, yes, yes, get the Marshall, I have one I can sell to you very cheap!

Yeah, from the list vox looks best-but from what you said, a small good fender would be good. And ignore that guy saying Line 6, overdrive is the only effect you need when you start, and you can get that just by turning up the amp and you want to let your ears get accustomed to good tone as opposed to Line 6 crap.

EDIT: Also, don't get seduced by amps with ****loads of effects, there's no point when you start out. You need to learn how to use each effect precisely and to it's maximum and how to make it sound good, instead of just whacking on everything, or clicking a switch and getting "tone".

Listen to me dude

I beg to differ. I think modelers are great as beginner amps. This gives the starting guitarist the opportunity to have a plethora of effects and amp models so that they can toy around with tone and see what they like.
Quote by Cachao

Listen to me dude

say, that amp, how much? Maybe for free? Shipping's on me:P
Vox VT30
IMO, dont get the valvetronix. i got one and due to it being a modelling amp, and sounding nothing like the 'models' i wanna sell it on. best avoid modelling amps.