The Great Escape, 1963
6 3%
Apocalypse Now, 1979
23 10%
Saving Private Ryan, 1998
122 52%
Voters: 236.
Page 1 of 3
Took the lost from the top 10 of Channel4.com's 100 Greatest War Films, sorry if your favourite war film isn't on the list!

I find Platoon to be the best, followed by Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket

Poll coming...

EDIT:

I am amazed Saving Private Ryan is winning by this much! Platoon is so much better IMO
Last edited by Random3 at Jul 15, 2009,
Tropic Thunder.

Think about it. How many other war movies have you laughed in?
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Even though it's not really a "film" Band of Brothers is the best War movie/mini series I've ever seen.

Out of that list, Saving Private Ryan is probably my favorite.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
I haven't seen most of those movies in the poll. I picked Private Ryan.

You all should look up Tigerland. It's a VERY underrated movie about soldiers training before they get sent to Vietnam. It's got Collin Farrell.

Anyone seen Tigerland?
Last edited by Icarus Lives at Jul 15, 2009,
Saving Ryan's Privates.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
It was a tough call as i like all those movies but full metal jacket is one of my all time fave films so... there ya go.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
yeh, suppose it has to be private ryan
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by TooFast
Saving Ryan's Privates.

Schindler's Fist
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by TooFast
Saving Ryan's Privates.

you mean "Shaving Ryan's Privates". man that movie was graphic...
^ Dont be daft
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Forrest Gump.

+1. One of my all-time favorite films is also Born On the Fourth of July--fantastic Vietnam film. Back when it was cool to like Tom Cruise. I think I'm the only one in the world who absolutely LOVED Valkyrie. Great film also (but I can see how it didn't make this list).
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
I notice a lack of Empire Strikes Back on that poll.

Edit: Seriously though, there's no Enemy at the Gates, so I'm not voting.
Last edited by Grindar at Jul 15, 2009,
I pick Saving Private Ryan, but I also liked Black Hawk Down.

BTW: Where is Patton, I thought that was a really good movie.
I'm glad you included Black Hawk Down. Excellent movie. I didn't pick it though.

I think Platoon is probably the best. Everyone likes Saving Private Ryan because it was pretty epic, but I thought the story itself was a little weak. Platoon has a much better story, and is a lot grittier.
How the hell can you judge Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan and Full Metal Jacket on the same list? Those films were totally different.
Quote by LedZepKicksAzz
Forrest Gump.

Forrest Gump is a great movie, one of my favorites, but it's hardly a war movie like the rest are. True, it has a scene based on the Vietnam War, however, the main theme resides around the conflict of Forrest doing the right things without necessarily knowing why, and Jenny doing the wrong things.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
I've only seen 5 of the 10, but it has to be Saving Private Ryan.

anyone who thinks tropic thunder is the best war film ever is an idiot

Platoon is my favourite. I don't get all the love for Saving Private Ryan. It was decent, but I agree with daytripper.
There is poetry in despair.
Green Beret's.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by itchy guitar
Tropic Thunder.

Think about it. How many other war movies have you laughed in?

Wait, you laughed during that movie? All my friends just kind of sat there awkwardly at the theater, waiting for the other person to suggest leaving first.

EDIT: and if you haven't seen all these movies, why vote?
Saving Private Ryan didn't do much to explore the different ways in which people are affected in war. Apart from the obvious ones. Possibly the coward near the end touched on it. But it was pretty two dimensional compared to Platoon and Full Metal Jacket and the like.
There is poetry in despair.
I've seen all ten a fair few times each.

Bridge of the River Kwai - it's a true classic of film making and acting, another of Lean's epics, with a stirring performance from Alec Guinness which is eternally memorable. It may be a long and slow film, but it never felt like that to me.

Black Hawk Down - visually superb, another example of Ridly Scott's masterful direction, but I'm not sure how great the film is otherwise. There was a strong ensemble cast definitely, and I enjoyed spotting all the Brit actors, but I found the whole thing a bit superficial and hollow. Regardless, it told a tragic story, and after a slow first-act, it really got moving.

Zulu - Another old epic classic of British war films. Often the case - the vast expanse of the film, the sweeping shots of the Zulu warriors and the ginat battle scenes stole the film, but there was great insight to the class-divide in the British Army too, and a look at the Imperial attitudes. Also fun as a child when you go "Oh my God, there's millions of them, millions and millions attacking!"

A Bridge Too Far - perhaps my favourite war film. It may be very long and covers a vast amount of different stories, but I think the recreation of a destroyed Arnhem, the huge paracute drops and brutal battles, whilst all filmed on location in Holland was a tremendous feat. It was filled with great performances from both the British and American cast, and finished with a beautiful scene of all the wounded British 1st Airborne soliders captured.

Platoon - this has lost its bite over the years, I think. I adored it when I first saw it, but something about it seems slightly lacklustre. But it is definitely a worthy film for the horrifying scenes of the Vietnamese village being torched, and the bitter conflict between the US troops moreso than with the Vietcong. Willem Defoe and Tom Berenger clashed brilliantly too.

Full Metal Jacket - my favourite Vietnam film. I love the whole emphasis on the dehumanisation of training, and how the recruits buckled under the pressure or became ruthless, or in Pyle's case, became monsters. Obviously Gunnery Sergeant Hartman stole the film, but people always forget the scenes set in Vietnam, which I thought were great too, very powerful.

Schindler's List - that one certainly stays with you. It's hard to fault this film, the cast were great through and through - with Ralph Fiennes coming out on top as the psychopathic camp Kommandant. And the depiction of the Holocaust was cutting, uncompromising and painful to watch. Despite this, I still preferred The Pianist though.

The Great Escape - historical inaccuracies and the addition of motobikes not even invented aside, this is probably my favourite of my films as a young child. It's simply great fun, a brillaint story told, gripping all the way through and even with some touching and poignant moments - such as the massacre of the fifty escaped prisoners by the Gestapo and the reaction. Shame Hollywood producers changed the original plot so much though.

Apocalypse Now - the Horror! This is more of a mindfuck than a film, and I wouldn't call it a war film either, despite it being set in Vietnam. I still believe that this is Coppola's greatest film, brilliantly capturing the horrific world Sheen ventures into and the absolute madness of Kurtz and his tribe. Yet depite the epic story, the brutality of the film, it is still stolen by Robert Duvall with "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" and Ride of the Valkyries.

Saving Private Ryan - I'm mixed about this one. I remember being pleased when it was voted number one, but I've liked it less with each viewing. I'm not going to fault Spielberg's superb depiction of the various battles; they were perhaps flawless and shattering to watch. I can still see the young boy with his stomach in his hands weeping on the beach. But there's something about the shots of the Stars and Stripes, the book-ending scenes in the cemetary and, whilst not a glorification, but a vindication of War with irritated me slightly.

I hope some of you bother to read this, it took me a while. This thread best not be closed by the time I post this either.

Anyway, my favourite war film has to be either Sam Peckinpah's Cross of Iron, Thin Red Line or Band of Brothers.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh

Black Hawk Down - visually superb, another example of Ridly Scott's masterful direction, but I'm not sure how great the film is otherwise. There was a strong ensemble cast definitely, and I enjoyed spotting all the Brit actors, but I found the whole thing a bit superficial and hollow. Regardless, it told a tragic story, and after a slow first-act, it really got moving.

How is it superficial and hollow?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
How is it superficial and hollow?

I found it a bit meaningless, it was very much "us vs them", and painted the Somalis as very easy hate-figures, which I think is wrong in a war film, because neither side is unanimously bad, yet the Somalis were shown as savages.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
platoon but SPR is a close second..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Page 1 of 3