Hi,

my son's a realy keen guitaritst and has been looking for some advice as to the type of guitar to buy. I understand the rules are in place for his protection - which is fine - but I'd like to ask on his behalf, please, for some advice from you guys: this is his original post.
Thanks - Claire (40!)

what is the best guitar i can get for under £200-500
im 11 years old and ive been playing for 5 years
to go with my new Crate FW120 amp

i listen and play mostly zeppelin, sabbath, AC DC, maiden and all the classic rock and heavy rock

ive been looking at ibanez guitars
epiphone sg special
bc rich guitars
and loads more
xxx
Last edited by Nosregor at Jul 15, 2009,
For a guitar for Hard Rock, I'd go with

Ibanez S470DXQM
Ibanez S520EX
Ibanez RG1550
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Charvel San Dimas Strat (try to find one used)
Jackson DK2T
PRS SE Custom 24

Good luck on finding a guitar!
Washburn WI66 Pro. Or the Washburn X50 Pro.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
For under 300 quid, I'd say the Washburn X200 or WI64

If I may ask, why the downcrease in budget?
it's all coming back

If you're alright with going used, you can find Gibson SG Standards on eBay for around $800, should fit you nicely.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
If you're alright with going used, you can find Gibson SG Standards on eBay for around $800, should fit you nicely.

You can find them for $800, but not for 500 pounds.
just to try a cheaper one out, to see if i could save money, lo

Ah, no worries then.

Good luck, and I hope you find something your son will love!
it's all coming back

are epiphone sg g400s good?
Last edited by Nosregor at Jul 15, 2009,
It depends, the G-400s are solid guitars. I play more metal than classic rock so for me the neck is too thick, but for your son, its a decent guitar. Although...

5 years? if he's been making solid progress then i think that's a pretty low budget (unless you can't afford higher)

Look at some of the higher end Epiphone Les Pauls, it should be good for the sound he's looking for.
That's alright there are still tons of good guitars at your current budget.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plain-Top?sku=517413

Maybe also some ESPs? I find ESP guitars to have many good features for the money, including the cheaper lines.
do you think it would be a good idea to get a second hand mexican stratocaster?
The second hand stratocaster would be a great guitar for him. It will be a little tougher to get the metal tones but it will be great for classic rock.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Viper50-Electric-Guitar?sku=542083

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-EC50-Electric-Guitar?sku=516672

just some ideas
It also helps to go to a guitar store with your son and test some guitars out and talk to the people there.
They can probably lead you in the right direction (assuming they're as helpful as the guys at my local shop :P)
I can vouch for the Washburn X50Pro - great guitar for the money. But any good make will do some decent guitars for around £500. Find a decent sized shop near you, take him along with plenty of time to spare, and let him try out everything he likes the look of in your budget. If you are willing to go second hand, let him try out everything new up to almost double your budget then hunt for a second hand one for the right price. Whatever you get has to feel right to your son - especially as at 11 he'll probably have pretty small hands and still be growing, so differences in weight and neck sizes will have more impact on him.
Quote by Nosregor
Hi,

my son's a realy keen guitaritst and has been looking for some advice as to the type of guitar to buy. I understand the rules are in place for his protection - which is fine - but I'd like to ask on his behalf, please, for some advice from you guys: this is his original post.
Thanks - Claire (40!)

what is the best guitar i can get for under £200-500
im 11 years old and ive been playing for 5 years
to go with my new Crate FW120 amp

i listen and play mostly zeppelin, sabbath, AC DC, maiden and all the classic rock and heavy rock

ive been looking at ibanez guitars
epiphone sg special
bc rich guitars
and loads more
xxx

I would avoid any Ibanez RG that isn't a x5xx style model or higher (ie 2550 or similar) as the cheaper Ibanez tremolos are a little dodgy. Same goes for any floyd rose styled bridge at that price bracket. I really like the Ibanez SA series though; they're highly underrated and the tremolos are quite impressive. You should be able to get the very pretty SAS36 for that price and get considerable change from £500.

My second guitar was an epiphone SG (then moved to an ibanez) and I would try and avoid them if I'm honest. You occasionally get a decent playing guitar but you need to try quite few in my experience. Tokai make nice "gibson copies" for lower price brackets. The PRS SE line is worth a look as well; I'm personally fond of the soapbar.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Mmmm I want to say used Schecter Hellraiser or Blackjack but the UK is always such a hassle when it comes to Schecters.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...