I always thought that underground was just bands that weren't on TV or on the radio a lot, and mainstream was. But I'm starting to think I may be wrong. So what exactly is the difference?
Imo, if they arent on the radio or tv, they're underground. Or if a lot of people dont know about them, or if they're not signed to a major label.
Quote by frenchyfungus
Hmmm, all these people going on about fingering chords....makes me want to meet her.

Check out my nintendocore band, Super Luigi 65!
www.myspace.com/superluigi65
Mainstream is played alot on TV and radio etc etc,
while underground is unsigned/not in the public view etc etc.
It doesnt mean that underground music is bad, just very hard to find.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Mainstream is for the Pussies! Underground is for teh Br00tAlzzz !!
Na, im joking
i dont give a damn about Mainstream vs Underground.
i always thought it was this

mainstream - in it for the money
underground - doing what they love and dont care about the money
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by padgea7x
i always thought it was this

mainstream - in it for the money
underground - doing what they love and dont care about the money

I think mainstream just gets more money for what they do because they're all about advertising themselves, thus creating a bigger fanbase, more people buy their records, etc. etc.

whereas underground are more about getting themselves noticed by their talent, individuality, stage performances, etc. so they don't get paid as much because their fanbase is smaller because the people who like them, like them because they are talented, not because they're the cool new thing. A good example would be like in the 80s, there was Poison (extremely mainstream, cared a lot about their image) and then there was Guns N Roses, who cared less about what people thought of them, what they looked like, etc... they just wanted to be good.

Just my thoughts
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR
I think mainstream just gets more money for what they do because they're all about advertising themselves, thus creating a bigger fanbase, more people buy their records, etc. etc.

whereas underground are more about getting themselves noticed by their talent, individuality, stage performances, etc. so they don't get paid as much because their fanbase is smaller because the people who like them, like them because they are talented, not because they're the cool new thing. A good example would be like in the 80s, there was Poison (extremely mainstream, cared a lot about their image) and then there was Guns N Roses, who cared less about what people thought of them, what they looked like, etc... they just wanted to be good.

Just my thoughts

yeah that's more or less spot on
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Quote by ItsOnlyGNR

Just my thoughts

1. most mainstream bands get noticed by there talent, not just because they are advertised. (keyword in that sentence is MOST)

2. most people over the age of 20 like bands because of the music, not because they are the "next cool thing". that stuff happens in high school but in the real world mainstream bands get success through lots of hard work (excluding jonas bros/mily cyrus/fall out boy...you know)
I'm not against Mainstream, I just hate the majority of it I hear on our local "(s)hit music station". I see mainstream as things like Linkin Park, The Living End, Coldplay etc, while Underground is more like the stuff in my sig.
UNDERGROUND 100% even though i do enjoy some mainstream bands like killswitch engage, bring me the horizon and escape the fate.... i love underground bands like veil of maya, devildriver, august burns red, this is not a game of who the **** are you, despised icon, between the buried and me, enter shikari, oceano, and many others