Hi,
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 and an Epiphone amp that came with it in a "starter pack". I just started getting lessons a week ago(I've had some experience with a guitar before that and I know all of the basics) and I have a half hour lesson once a week. I practice my guitar for 1-3 hours a day. Considering that this is a very beginner setup I'm wondering when I will outgrow what I currently have and be ready for an upgrade and what kind of guitar/amp I should upgrade to(probably will have about a $600 budget for both). I can't play much at the moment but I want to learn to play like guns n' roses, motley crue and aerosmith. Thanks a lot.
i'd spend 200 bucks on a vypyr and 400 on a mim strat or tele (used preferably)
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
You will out grow that fast. You have a slightly small budget for a nice mid level guitar and amp. I would buy as nice an amp as you can first, and then save up for a nice guitar. Thats just me.
flintazra wrote:

I think the next person to shoot up a school should list Jonas brothers and Hannah Montana as his favorite "musicians."
When you feel like your current tone/options are not "doing it for you."
Word of advice: save up as much as you can for that time, because it'll be worth it.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Well stay with this setup for at least a year or two. Examine your progress. Are you having trouble with simple solos? I'd recommend you stay with this and if you find yourself getting more dedicated to the instrument, then after a year or two do tons of research (i mean tons) into a new guitar and amp.
I think you'll want some effect pedals pretty soon and a new amp down the road.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
you outgrow your guitar when your hand becomes bigger than your face.

but seriously, you'll know you've outgrown your guitar when the subtle things that make nicer guitars nicer becomes more apparent to you. while you're too fresh to know the difference then you're probably fine with the guitar you already have.

can you dig it?
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
As soon as you play some better guitars you'll come to realize you could do with a better guitar. If you are going to upgrade and aren't yet ready to play in a band & gig, I would invest about 400 in the guitar and 200 in a good practice amp. That kind of money will get you a guitar that'll stay in tune, play fairly well and last you till you're ready to go th next step. 200 dollars should get you a practice amp that will blow away the starter pack one - try for 15 - 20 watts of power to start and you mght consider used (I would buy a used amp over a used guitar)
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
As soon as you play some better guitars you'll come to realize you could do with a better guitar. If you are going to upgrade and aren't yet ready to play in a band & gig, I would invest about 400 in the guitar and 200 in a good practice amp. That kind of money will get you a guitar that'll stay in tune, play fairly well and last you till you're ready to go th next step. 200 dollars should get you a practice amp that will blow away the starter pack one - try for 15 - 20 watts of power to start and you mght consider used (I would buy a used amp over a used guitar)

i'd say that's a pretty solid call.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
you should try and get an amp first
What do you need the amb for?
home practice or a band?
if you need it for both I would get the Peavey classic 30
its about 300 used and 600 new
as for guitars you might wanna just use the one you have until you can afford a better one.
but a good amp is more important than a new guitar
unless your guitar is falling apart
Quote by herrotim
you should try and get an amp first
What do you need the amb for?
home practice or a band?
if you need it for both I would get the Peavey classic 30
its about 300 used and 600 new
as for guitars you might wanna just use the one you have until you can afford a better one.
but a good amp is more important than a new guitar
unless your guitar is falling apart

As of right now, I just use the amp for home practice. I do hope to be in a band some time this year for things like the talent show and battle of the bands at my highschool etc. And the only thing that I really dislike about my guitar is that it doesn't stay in tune for ****!
Unless it's a 3/4 scale never? People don't buy new guitars cause they grow out of them, they buy new guitars cause they want a different tone, feel etc. If the only thing you really dont like is that it doesn't stay in tune you probably dont need a new one. Just grab some locking tuners.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by -mikki6-
As of right now, I just use the amp for home practice. I do hope to be in a band some time this year for things like the talent show and battle of the bands at my highschool etc. And the only thing that I really dislike about my guitar is that it doesn't stay in tune for ****!

If it doesn't stay in tune you might want to try some tricks, such as a new set of strings, and you might want to check all the tuners and make sure they are tightened down all the way, on my GRG 3 of them were lose and tightening them made a world of difference, then you should also take a pencil and get lead shavings in the nut slots. I hope this helps.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Don't get a Mexican strat. In fact, don't get a Mexican anything. From experience, I can tell you that everything from Mexico is of shoddier quality than its Asian counterpart.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Unless it's a 3/4 scale never? People don't buy new guitars cause they grow out of them, they buy new guitars cause they want a different tone, feel etc. If the only thing you really dont like is that it doesn't stay in tune you probably dont need a new one. Just grab some locking tuners.

I didn't mean grow out of it like I got to big for the guitar lol. I meant like when I would get to a point that I would want a more advanced guitar with better pickups, more tone controls and definetely the next one I buy has to stay in tune for longer than my current one does.
Quote by I am wet
If it doesn't stay in tune you might want to try some tricks, such as a new set of strings, and you might want to check all the tuners and make sure they are tightened down all the way, on my GRG 3 of them were lose and tightening them made a world of difference, then you should also take a pencil and get lead shavings in the nut slots. I hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll try that.
Quote by -mikki6-
I didn't mean grow out of it like I got to big for the guitar lol. I meant like when I would get to a point that I would want a more advanced guitar with better pickups, more tone controls and definetely the next one I buy has to stay in tune for longer than my current one does.

Well you should play for a few a little while before getting a new one, I would recommend going to a few shops and playing all sorts of different guitars and making a list of every feature you liked, for me it was a fat neck, humbuckers, 3 by 3 head stock, set neck volume and tone control for each pup ect. Just keep practicing and once you start to feel like you can't do every thing you want to do then go get a guitar based on what you want.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
if you`ve got the cash and want to upgrade go for it theres no such thing as when will i outgrow my guitar........as you get more accomplished you move onto to finding a better setup all the time i`ve been playing 22 years and have Gear Aquisition Syndrome all the time it`s part and parcel of the hobby/profession. it goes hand in hand with the quest for the holy grail of tone.