Page 1 of 2
So, what are you working on right now? Songs? Techniques?

Personally, right now, I'm just trying to build up the endurance to play Territorial Pissings. It's at 196 BPM, and the same riff of constant eighth notes throughout the entire song; I can't keep it up for more than a minute . I've only been playing 7 months, which is probably why I don't have the endurance.

So, how about you?
Quote by freedomdeceptiv
speed picking in fours, trouble is i play with 3 fingers. its pretty confusing

haha

that sucks dude
Haha, Territorial Pissings!
Sorry, never heard that before.
I'm working on the bass line from Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover".
Awesome song.
*END TRANSMISSION*

You don't have to be crazy to post here, but it helps.

HAIL BABUTAU!
well technique is like an ongoing battle. no matter how accurate i become, i want to be more accurate. i've chilled out on speed a little. i think speed is something that i should keep working at, but i've gotten pretty quick by being a speed nut for the past 6 years. now i'm working more on controlling my speed and using it effectively rather than spewing a million notes all over a track.

i'm also working on recording an album which i think is fueling the fire for better accuracy, control and efficient shreddage.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
The bass solo in Maxwell Murder, by Rancid.
I'm trying to figure it out by ear without any use of tabs or programs to slow the song down.
Quote by Royal Celebi
Down the neck tapping. I can tap going up the neck but down screws me over.

practicing descending legato runs may help.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by herby190
So, what are you working on right now? Songs? Techniques?

Personally, right now, I'm just trying to build up the endurance to play Territorial Pissings. It's at 196 BPM, and the same riff of constant eighth notes throughout the entire song; I can't keep it up for more than a minute . I've only been playing 7 months, which is probably why I don't have the endurance.

how much do you practice a day?
Quote by joehhy
The bass solo in Maxwell Murder, by Rancid.
I'm trying to figure it out by ear without any use of tabs or programs to slow the song down.

nice choice of song.
Quote by navarreguitaris
nice choice of song.

Yeah, i got like the first 2 seconds of the solo down..
Quote by josbroek
how much do you practice a day?

On average since I've started, I'd say 1-2 hours, but lately I've been getting at 3-5, and I'd like to try to keep at that.
I just learned Can't Stop on bass.
Its not that hard, I just wanted to learn it.

And then whatever my teacher has me play.
working on "sinister minister" & "flight of the bumble bee". The second one is KILLING me T_T''
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Just learned Traveling Without Moving by Jamiroquai, but getting the Speed Freak section is going to take another day or two.
Speed picking with three fingers and double thumping are my current practices.
Quote by DonWeaso
Speed picking with three fingers and double thumping are my current practices.

I've read a lesson on it, but still don't get it; what is double thumping?

Edit: Actually, it might have been the left-handed slap that I'm thinking of....
Lightning Strikes Twice by Iron Maiden.Pretty easy,but still fun. Other than that,I've been working on an original song-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It should end up being around 2 hours and 47 minutes long.
Last edited by Black Ox at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My new band has just presented me another song to learn- a 14 minute instrumental with more parts to it than clothing changes at a Girls Aloud concert.

Yesterday in the Pit you said you'd just finished learning your bands material; your band sure seems active.
right now im trying to learn all of the decline by nofx most of it is easy but all the little bass solos and fills are hard
I SLAPPA DA BASS!

my gear:
fender mim fret lessjazz bass
fender mim precision bass
old no name bass from the 80's
crate 100w combo
boss geb-7 bass eq
electro harmonics big muff
digitec bass envelope filter
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I said I learnt the material going on the album.

They have a sh*tload of material. They've been going 7 years.

Wow; what genre?
Speed, accuracy, improvised on the spot walking bass lines (using chord changes, of course) Sight reading, transcription, writing my own stuff for a solo, etc.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's a big cross of things. I think I've described it once as part Korn, part Meshuggah, part Alice in Chains, part instrumentalness.

Wow. Do you have any clips that I could listen to better understand the mix?
Last edited by Halakar at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My new band has just presented me another song to learn- a 14 minute instrumental with more parts to it than clothing changes at a Girls Aloud concert.

Basically, this. I have had to learn 2 new ones for recording them. I was given template basslines, decided they were too easy and made them a lot harder. Regretting it now. Did one yesterday and it took 3 hours to track a 5 minute song. It has a short solo, time changes, double stops and 16ths at 180BPM for 30 secs at a time, plus silly riffs. The second one is longer, has an even crazier bass "solo" and a monster groove in the middle that's taken ages to do. Plus loads of silly runs. Why do i do this to myself?

Away from band, the Metropolis Pt1 Tapping solo (Dream Theater!) and learning to do 16ths with 3 fingers.
Josie - Steely Dan

Oh yeah I also want to work on I want you back - Jackson 5, trying to play it with one of my music teachers on piano made me realise how sloppy I am at playing it.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Jul 15, 2009,
My band has been split up this summer by different things, and therefore we haven't been in much contact. So, I've taken the time to try and write my own material for the band. I have nine potential songs, which is very exciting, considering that I've never written anything for this purpose.

So I've been working on those, and I just started working on Viridian by Between the Buried and Me a couple of days ago. The speed is an issue.
I'm not really working on anything at the moment, but I'm thinking of learning Daniella by the John Butler Trio (such a great groove, have a listen to it!) and arranging some Lord of the Rings music for solo bass. I love some of the pieces in those films.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by fleajr_1412
I'm not really working on anything at the moment, but I'm thinking of learning Daniella by the John Butler Trio (such a great groove, have a listen to it!) and arranging some Lord of the Rings music for solo bass. I love some of the pieces in those films.

you will have to share that one!
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
Quote by ScottB.
Oh yeah I also want to work on I want you back - Jackson 5, trying to play it with one of my music teachers on piano made me realise how sloppy I am at playing it.

That's a great tune. If you're interested in hearing the isolated bass track, http://www.ricksuchow.com/ has an archive with it. You'll have to email them for the password but it is definitely worth it.
At the moment, I'm trying to get accustomed to my new loop station (just picked it up today) and am waiting on my new five-string to come in so I can take a stab at that arrangement of the Turkish Rondo by David Hull.

Other than that, I'm just finishing up a bunch of cover songs for a small benefit show next month. Should be fun if the other guys actually show up for practice this time...
Moser Custom Shop 5-string Scimitar
Moser Arachnid
Fender Jazz MIM
Digitech Bass Driver
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Genz Benz GBE750
Genz Benz GB410T-XB2
Just workin on scales and my technique pretty much. Just got into a little bit of the double thump (wow that is hard to get used to), bass tapping and increasing my knowledge on tonal possibilities with the rig I have.
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Quote by joehhy
Yeah, i got like the first 2 seconds of the solo down..

haha thats not much, but its deffinitely not bad.
Quote by Black Ox
Lightning Strikes Twice by Iron Maiden.Pretty easy,but still fun. Other than that,I've been working on an original song-The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It should end up being around 2 hours and 47 minutes long.

what?
your song is 2 hrs, 47 mins long?
I'm working on post rock when I trade my friend a skateboard for a strat copy
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
apart from the project im working on, pink floyd and tool songs. sick bass lines and alot of reward after you have learnt em'
Page 1 of 2