I have $500-800 to spend on an amp/guitar combo... and I want some input on what to get... I want to play various forms of metal and it's subgenres.
I would say get a Ibanez guitar. Preferably one from the RG series. One of Peavey's cheaper models like the envoy 110 and then for the distortion get an Electro-harmonix Metal Muff with top boost. I"ve used that setup for years and I've gotten a range from blues all the way to extreme metal.
dude, get an Ibanez RG series, as Phat Stud said, and then buy a Line 6 Spider III amp, you cannot go wrong my friend.
but... he already has an RG2ex1? maybe a better amp and pedal
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Don't buy Spider III amp unless you want the most digital processed tone imaginable. A Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr are fine alternatives.
Check this thread and ask for recommendations

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1157650

Your guitar isn't that bad and can do metal. I would throw most of the money you have into a decent tube combo and an OD pedal.

Also, check your local CL .. actually stalk it

5150 head for $600 (I would drop 'em to 5)
http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/msg/1226690162.html

5150 combo would be nice but it's kinda priced high. I wonder how much without the case thrown in?

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/msg/1253061148.html
Quote by Gorblethorp
Don't buy Spider III amp unless you want the most digital processed tone imaginable. A Roland Cube or a Peavey Vypyr are fine alternatives.

This is true, although I doubt you've ever owned a Spider. Everyone who bashes them has never tried them. For the price, the smaller versions (15 and 30) are perfectly fine to use for bedroom level practice amps.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is true, although I doubt you've ever owned a Spider. Everyone who bashes them has never tried them. For the price, the smaller versions (15 and 30) are perfectly fine to use for bedroom level practice amps.

Their tone is so horrible it gives me headaches if i'm subjected to it for too long
Quote by MetalGS3SE

I'm sorry, but that's your OPINION. I've owned a spider III, and i bash them just as much as anybody. They aren't the WORST amp in the world, but in the price range of those amps, you shouldn't even give them a first glance.

as for a suggestion, i suggest get a Valveking. i love mine. It's really bluesy at first, but after i swapped the speaker, did a few simple little tweaks to it, and added an OD, and this thing can do most metal just fine. cleans definately aren't bad either.
as for guitar, just go to a shop and have fun. the guitar is more about feel than anything. (maybe a little bit about sound quality, too. Lol.) But seriously, you just need to go to a shop and try some stuff out.

btw you need to be more specific about your music tastes. Just saying "metal" isn't gonna help too much. it's way too broad of a genre.

list some bands you wanna play/sound like.
Last edited by TheBax at Jul 15, 2009,
Mostly Metalcore/screamo and death core.
Bring me the horizon
august burns red
as blood runs black
a skylit drive
bless the fall
vanna
the devil wears prada

May I add the set up is not for me, it's for my band guitarist so dont take into consideration what gear I have. My rg2ex1 has the emg designed passive pick ups that I really like, but I noticed the newer ones don't have them, how are the pick ups that come in them now?
Quote by TheBax
I'm sorry, but that's your OPINION. I've owned a spider III, and i bash them just as much as anybody. They aren't the WORST amp in the world, but in the price range of those amps, you shouldn't even give them a first glance.

Actually, as practice amps for beginners, they aren't BAD. I really hate the tone, but as a practice amp for beginners to wet their feet on the different kinds of amp tones, they do the job. Though you are very right in saying there are significantly better amps elsewhere.

TS: $800 won't get you very far for both a guitar and an amp... you need to decide on what it is about your current set up that you do not like and focus on improving one aspect at a time.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I think your guitar is more than enough.. maybe swap the pickups for 81/85s... and focus more on a good amp
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by MetalGS3SE

I own a 15w and my brother has a 75w. Buying anything above 30 watts is just a waste of money, but there are still much better amps for the same price if you get a 15-30w ss amp.

My 15w spider on the insane channel sounds like a bunch of angry hornets buzzing along to whatever im playing.

edit: to the TS, I would recommend getting a nice amp, your guitar seems fine.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
You guys aren't reading that the guitar is not for me, it's for the guitarist in my band... He currently has a bronze series warlock and a line 6 spider III that are both pretty horrible.
Quote by kaossurge
You guys aren't reading that the guitar is not for me, it's for the guitarist in my band... He currently has a bronze series warlock and a line 6 spider III that are both pretty horrible.

Change the amp first. The guitar can be managed until he gets more moooolah.

Can you go used?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Change the amp first. The guitar can be managed until he gets more moooolah.

Can you go used?

Yah.
Quote by kaossurge

Whoops, my bad. In that case, I agree with ragingkitty.. focus on a good amp
Blackstar HT-5