Hey

ok so i just got my Ashdown mag300 head and ashdown 410 deep cabinet. I plugged and played and all was good, great sound and quality etc. I decided id hook up my old peavy microbass practice amp as an external cabinet for a laugh, with disastrous consequences, the 6.3mm jack lead sparked. The peavy thing is fried and it was smoking etc but im not to bothered about that. The thing i dont get is Why my mag 300 head is working, its turned on, the vu meter is showing a reading but when i hook it up to the 410 cab its no longer working. So i know most of you are going to say im a stupid d**ck etc and i know but i was none the wiser that this would happen.

so has any one got any idea what it could be and how it could be fixed

Ok update:

I replaced the blown fuse at the output, stuck it all back together and turned it on. The things lets out this insanely loud sound i can best describe as feedback. Any ideas waht this could mean
Last edited by reidy8 at Jul 16, 2009,
did the new amp come with a warranty or protection plan...

hopefully the warranty has "user stupidity" protection.
Check on the back of the bass amps and see what the Ohms are.What proly happened is when you connected the peavy to it, it wasnt the right Ohms and fried it.It happened to my friend before.I think all you need to do is buy a new part for it but i forget what it is called.
Your Peavy has pretty much shat the bed. Just way too much wattage for the speaker, and probably too much for the amp itself.

Your Ashdown probably just needs a new fuse.

Never plug a 'speaker out' into an 'instrument in' jack. Ever. The instrument in jack is looking for a signal that is much, MUCH lower than what the speaker out jack is providing. This is why instrument cables are heavily shielded, and speaker cables lightly so - because the current in the speaker cable is so much higher that it's much less likely to encounter interference.

Side note: I once hooked up a brand new Epi bass amp (the cheapest one they make) into a cheap bass, and started playing it. It started smoking immediately, even hooked up right.
Quote by jean_genie
Your Peavy has pretty much shat the bed. Just way too much wattage for the speaker, and probably too much for the amp itself.

Your Ashdown probably just needs a new fuse.

Never plug a 'speaker out' into an 'instrument in' jack. Ever. The instrument in jack is looking for a signal that is much, MUCH lower than what the speaker out jack is providing. This is why instrument cables are heavily shielded, and speaker cables lightly so - because the current in the speaker cable is so much higher that it's much less likely to encounter interference.

Side note: I once hooked up a brand new Epi bass amp (the cheapest one they make) into a cheap bass, and started playing it. It started smoking immediately, even hooked up right.

no.no.no

youve misread, i pluged the peavy bass into the back of my head as if it was a speaker cabinet and into the back of my peavy microbass
Right, what you want to check first is the fuse at the output stage of the head. Unscrew the unit from the case, and slide it out. At the the output stage, where the outputs are (obviously), is a glass fuse, about an inch long. Take that out, shake it a bit and listen to hear if it's broken. Then head down to a shop where you can buy fuses and replace it for about 75p for a pack of 3. No point going on the warranty if it's a 25p fix. Better spend 25p to fix it than get it sent away for god knows how long.

Additionally, never run your head without it being connected to a cab. Or connect a cab to it when it's on.
Yeah thats the one, great advice! Its a clear glass fuse and i can see its burned to hell. And thanks for the advice too, i plugged in the separate cab when it was turned on so in future will remember to switch off.

Thanks Derilium bassist, spot on.

/Thread
Aye, I own the MAG300 head, and someone accidentally pulled the cable out when I was recording through it, so roughly the same thing happened to me. It's such a cheap and simple fix, so it really isn't worth the hassle of going through warranty at all.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Aye, I own the MAG300 head, and someone accidentally pulled the cable out when I was recording through it, so roughly the same thing happened to me. It's such a cheap and simple fix, so it really isn't worth the hassle of going through warranty at all.

Plus id have to send it form the UK to Germany for warranty, ver time consuming. Shall replace fuse tomorrow
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Bought from Thomann I assume?

Halfords stocks these fuses, this I know for fact.

Yes indeed, £435 for the head,cab and cable, free postage

Nice, halfords is a ten minute car ride from my house. should be jamming again in no time!
Just for future reference the socket on the peavey is an outlet from the amp to an external speaker not a connection to the speaker which is why you had the problem. Ashame really because the microbass sounds great through an external cab which is what you should have tried.

Oh well.
Got the fuses today but that didnt work. When ever i turn it on the speaker cab roars out a horrible rumble then an hugely high pitched scream, i turn it of quickly of course. Its pretty much deafening, what the hells wrong with it
I would cheack(carefully) the wires connecting to the outputs, you might have fried them, also maybe leave the amp on for a couple more secs and see if it dies down. Take it to a tech and see if they can do anything.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
I would cheack(carefully) the wires connecting to the outputs, you might have fried them, also maybe leave the amp on for a couple more secs and see if it dies down. Take it to a tech and see if they can do anything.

i cant see it dieing down, if i leave it on itl get louder and blow the cab speakers and my ear drums, its incredibly loud.
You could try contacting ashdown who are pretty helpful but you have obviously destroyed some components and it isn't obvious which ones. You need more technical input than you can get over the web.

Sorry
Might try and warranty it. But if it gets back to germany and they determine its my fault Iv got to pay charge of postage and then pay for the repair (if its fixable) and the postage back to me which will be insanely high.

''The amp will come to no harm with the speakers unplugged.'' straight from the Ashdown wedsite.

I don't understand, ok i fu***d up and the fuse blew, but thats why the fuse is there to protect the amp. So what else could have been affected.

EDIT:

so i did an experiment, to see if it was the cab that was buggered or the head. plugged some headphones into it, and the same thing happened to the headphones.
Last edited by reidy8 at Jul 16, 2009,
So its something before the output stage, i would contact ashdown, and see what they think and look at the warranty.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Just because an amp is safe with nothing connected it doesn't mean it is safe whatever you connect. You've busted the power amp and broken the warranty conditions. Thomann will probably only send it to Ashdown so why not contact them direct to see what they will do for you. They will probably just replace the whole power amp board and will be able to tell you exactly what it will cost or they may just do it under warranty. There is really no help on the internet for this.