Page 1 of 8
ninja.kitty
2,340 IQ
it's been kinda dead in here lately, so i think it's about time we had another comp in here! since the post-hardcore one had amazing results, i think we should do it again.

now, we are going to need at least 4 judges, and many participants. even if you dont usually write post-hardcore, you can use this opportunity to come out of your shell a little bit.

im sorry to say, if you are a participant, you cannot judge. it has to be one or the other, because we had too many problems last time.

if you are a judge, dont be a fool and take forever to judge. if you signed up to be a judge, you are responsible to judge ASAP

participants, the material you enter has to be written specifically for this comp. you cant enter something you have already written

deadline for signing up will be *deadline has been reached*

deadline for submission will be *deadline has been reached*

* = work has been submitted

Participants:

Thomasoman*
Carl6661*
Rumpy*
chromaticvision*
lordofthefood1*
icronic*
huevos*
Of_Wolves*
|_JR_|*
Joe_92*
JesseBlanchard*
ninja.kitty*

Redxrock (out)
Its_Rock77 (out)
ctb (out)
Tom9016 (out)
Friendly Stoat (out)
rkay (out)

Judges:

aggiefan33
Aaron!!
Uber Man
mtgold83
frankibo

now remember guys, be creative, but try to stay in the confines of post-hardcore. It has a broad amount of sound, so it shouldnt be too hard. Ill list some bands for reference

A Skylit Drive
Alexisonfire
Attack Attack!
As Cities Burn
At The Drive-In
Bless The Fall
Dance Gavin Dance
Emarosa
Emery
Escape The Fate
Fall of Troy
Saosin
Scary Kids Scaring Kids
Thrice
Underoath

when you have your song ready, DO NOT post in this thread, post in the submissions thread
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20771104#post20771104

when all the songs are submitted, judges DO NOT review the songs in this thread, post in the judging thread
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20822935#post20822935

Have fun guys
Last edited by ninja.kitty at Aug 6, 2009,
icronic
2,638 IQ
Totally out of my comfort zone here as I've no idea what it's supposed to sound like, but what the hell... I'm in.

Edit: If anyone is feeling generous, feel free to PM me with maybe 4 or 5 songs that would define the genre best
Last edited by icronic at Jul 15, 2009,
andrew12398
nom nom nom
1,511 IQ
I'm in. Post-hardcore ftw.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Its_Rock77
Anthony Green Fanboy <3
1,501 IQ
well, I'd say this is kinda my sort of thing

good way to end these many months of writer's block.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Thomasoman
#frizzlefrazzle
2,912 IQ
Sign me up! Last time was fun, it was great seeing what people came up with.
Joe_92
21 IQ
I'll have a go- i need to start writing again anyway.
Carl6661
UG Freak
2,096 IQ
It'll give me something to do with my spare time I suppose, count me in? Please.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
ninja.kitty
2,340 IQ
Quote by ctb
Can we start creating now?
go for it man you get the advantage for signing up early

edit: guys, we need judges. if anyone is willing, please dont hesitate to sign up. we need AT LEAST 4 for this to work out good
ctb
1,449 IQ
Quote by ninja.kitty
go for it man you get the advantage for signing up early
Friendly Stoat
Call me Sam.
1,094 IQ
I'll do it
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Aaron!!
nil desperandum
733 IQ
What do I have to do to judge?
I think im up for that
lordofthefood1
A blank survey
1,710 IQ
I'll participate if we're accepting more. Shucks on writing a new song though, I've got quite the post-hardcore arsenal (for a period of time I became obsessed with emulating the fall of troy, but with a lot of atdr injected interludes).

foodit: what format is this in? GP?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Jul 17, 2009,
ninja.kitty
2,340 IQ
Quote by Aaron!!
What do I have to do to judge?
I think im up for that

ill let you know exactly how to judge whe, the time comes its not hard, just takes time
Quote by lordofthefood1
I'll participate if we're accepting more. Shucks on writing a new song though, I've got quite the post-hardcore arsenal (for a period of time I became obsessed with emulating the fall of troy, but with a lot of atdr injected interludes).

foodit: what format is this in? GP?

guitar pro would be best. it'd be wise to include the MIDI as well
Quote by Uber Man
I'll judge or participate, whatever you need more of. lemme know.

im gonna put you down as a judge, because we need more of those.

thanks everyone
icronic
2,638 IQ
I may end up switching over to judging if there aren't enough. I'm discovering I'm fairly terrible at writing this kind of music, and I've spent far too much time writing something that sounds (to me) pretty horrible. I'll give it a few more days maybe.
mtgold83
1,042 IQ
I would not mind judging many members have seen my post hardcore work so if that is enough to vouche me as a proper judge of PHC.
But one thing could I judge and enter just not judge on my own piece? Its ok if not.
ninja.kitty
2,340 IQ
Quote by icronic
I may end up switching over to judging if there aren't enough. I'm discovering I'm fairly terrible at writing this kind of music, and I've spent far too much time writing something that sounds (to me) pretty horrible. I'll give it a few more days maybe.

thats ok dude. just let me know if you want to for sure, then ill switch you over
Quote by mtgold83
I would not mind judging many members have seen my post hardcore work so if that is enough to vouche me as a proper judge of PHC.
But one thing could I judge and enter just not judge on my own piece? Its ok if not.
ill put you down as a judge. the thing about entering your own piece, is that you have to deduct your opinion as a judge from your score. like, there will only be 3 of the 4 judges scores, so you'll just get a major handicap. its better if you just judge. if you want people to just view your song, you can post it in open t&c. im sure that people will be more interested in PH since there is a comp going on.

sorry.. thanks for being a judge though

Quote by Uber Man
so... how do you want us judging these things? like, are there categories or is it just an overall 1-10 scale??

it'll be like both combined. ill go into more detail later, but there will be several categories. like, there will be one for creativity, sound, etc, so you judge each song by its category, then combine the score and divide by the number of categories there are.

if that makes sense.

ill be making a separate thread for the judges only, so we can see all the scores without having to search through this thread. ill include the details for judging, categories you're judging, and everything else you'll need along with it
mtgold83
1,042 IQ
ok cool dude. To the contestants, I have heard just about every famous band songs in the PHC genre that you could name and i am looking all over the UG tabs to make sure you can not steal someones work. We want you guys to go crazy and be creative this is a really fun event and it would be pointless to post someone compositions as your own. I'm only saying this because I've seen it happen in previous events.
being original is a big part of this genre. So even if you must go smoke tons of marijuana and be original the way The Mars Volta do it go for it. .
icronic
2,638 IQ
Quote by ninja.kitty
thats ok dude. just let me know if you want to for sure, then ill switch you over

Disregard I have found my mojo. I can't say that my end result will be 100% post hardcore, but it'll definitely be in the ballpark. It's also given me a chance to have some real fun with chords. Although, can anyone think of a good dirty RSE sound that can handle chords clearly?
mtgold83
1,042 IQ
use something vintage like or a screamer effect.
andrew12398
nom nom nom
1,511 IQ
Seeing as though I'll be out of state without my laptop from about the 23rd through the 10th, I'll have to drop out.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
ninja.kitty
2,340 IQ
Quote by icronic
Disregard I have found my mojo. I can't say that my end result will be 100% post hardcore, but it'll definitely be in the ballpark. It's also given me a chance to have some real fun with chords. Although, can anyone think of a good dirty RSE sound that can handle chords clearly?

excellent man post-hardcore is about taking hardcore and just pushing it in a new, artistic direction, so as long as you have the roots of it, you should be just fine

Quote by andrew12398
Seeing as though I'll be out of state without my laptop from about the 23rd through the 10th, I'll have to drop out.

aw man dude, thats a bummer ;9 there will be a next time for sure
frankibo
UG Board King
3,093 IQ
ive decided id rather judge then participate if thats cool
Thomasoman
#frizzlefrazzle
2,912 IQ
Good luck and have fun everyone! Just finished mine last night. Cheers.
mtgold83
1,042 IQ
Suggestion to those who finish early. If you finish early go back the next day or 2 days after and listen to it to make sure its exactly what you wanted. Be perfectionists .
ninja.kitty
2,340 IQ
Quote by frankibo
ive decided id rather judge then participate if thats cool

no problem dude

by the way judges, dont judge until all the participants have entered their songs.