The Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass Fretless, or the Ibanez SR300 Fretless Bass, both retail at 300 bucks, but overall, which do you think is the better value?

The Squire- bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-Fretless-Jazz-Bass?sku=519637

The Ibanez- bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR300-Fretless-Bass-Guitar?sku=580521
Last edited by patsfannumero1 at Jul 15, 2009,
Depends what you want. The Ibanez has active EQ and 'buckers whereas the Squier is passive and has single coils. Both are good quality basses but I would go for the Squier because it looks superb and I like single coils. It all depends on what sound you want.
I've heard that the new squiers are much better than the old squiers. I stArted out on a squier and i thought it was alright, so if its better than that,, i'd go for the squier.
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
This is like flippng a coin.

I own the SR300 FM (Its a P/J) and I love it.

But I have played the Squire frequently at the guitar store I work next to.

The Ibanez obv has different pickups then the squire but I like the ibanez more because it has a thinner neck and is a little lighter.

Both are great though
Quote by Spaz91
Depends what you want. The Ibanez has active EQ and 'buckers whereas the Squier is passive and has single coils. Both are good quality basses but I would go for the Squier because it looks superb and I like single coils. It all depends on what sound you want.

i think the ibanez has a passive eq and those are soapbars, not humbuckers.

to ts, i would go with the squier, they makes good instruments
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
I'm not sure if I'm right but doesn't the Squier have the plastic fingerboard?
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
^ they both have ebonol fingerboards

But I still stand by the ibanez. It's a fiver, and the neck feels great. They have less of a hit-or-miss in terms of quality, where as Squiers tend to be finnicky. Some play like an MiM, some play like a squier. But again, just that slapping issue with the string spacing. You can do it, it's just trickier
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by smb
What's better - fretless apples or fretless pears?

Fretless pears.
Quote by sstony
I bet the Ibanez sounds and feels better.

I wouldn't just assume that Ibanez is automatically better than Squier. Both have Agathis bodies, Ebanol fingerboards, maple necks (OK maple and rosewood for the Ibanez but close enough), and similar neck profiles. The only thing better about the Ibanez is the 24 fret fingerboard and somewhat better bridge. They're practically neck and neck. I'd go try out both and decide. BTW, I've never used the Ibanez, but most guitar stores have that squire, so I've played it a bunch of times. They're quite good for the price actually.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by joehhy
Fretless pears.

apples foo.

depends on your own taste, if you want to sound like Jaco, however, the VM is the way. no wanna be Jaco? the Ibanez.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have played both of these, though, they were out of completely different rigs so i can't give you an oppinion on sound. All I can tell you about is how they feel. The Ibanez neck is a little slimmer, at least, that's how it felt to me. And it was also ALOT lighter. The squire is smooth and plays good as well, and though it's a little heavier, it's not enough to change my mind. Both are very balanced in my oppinion. Like it has been said before, it comes down to what you want. Both are solid. Whichever sound it is you want, or whichever look, you should go for.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Ibanez all the way! I just bought a Ibanez SRX and you can tell a huge quality difference between Ibanez and squier. I compared the two at guitar center before I bought and they are worlds apart.
Quote by TANKER69
i think the ibanez has a passive eq and those are soapbars, not humbuckers.

to ts, i would go with the squier, they makes good instruments

OK, Humbucker refers to a style of pickup with two coils. A soapbar is simply a specific type of humbucker, like a P90 is a type of single coil. Also, most Ibanez basses are active. A passive EQ is a very rare thing. About the only bass Ive seen one on is a G&L
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
both companies suck get over it maybe squier has some nice models near the 350 400 dollar range
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
I personally prefer single coils with a fretless bass but everyone is different. try them both and decide. they're both good basses for the money.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by brownsfan456
both companies suck get over it maybe squier has some nice models near the 350 400 dollar range

I don't think you really know what you are talking about. Ibanez have some of the best starter basses around and lower model squiers are also fairly good.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
I don't think you really know what you are talking about. Ibanez have some of the best starter basses around and lower model squiers are also fairly good.

Amen to this
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Having played them both (clearly most of you haven't) there's no clear winner. You really have to try them yourself and see which one grabs you. They're both great basses for the price.