Hey UG, Ive been playing for just over a year now, And I find myself being KO'd by solos. I only know 2 solos. The solos to "Links 2,3,4" and "Stripped" both by Rammstein. They're excruciatingly simple. And ridiculously short. Hell the one on Links 2,3,4 stays on the B string the whole time. Ive always called myself a rhythm guitarist because of my lack of solos but I wanna play lead more often so can anyone suggest me some simple solos to learn?

I play metal like Old Metallica(with some Black album and Reload thrown in there), Maiden, Sabbath, Quiet Riot, Saxon, Judas Priest, etc. So thrash and British Heavy Metal

But also newer Metal like Rammstein, Papa Roach, Trapt, and Disturbed, etc. So Industrial and Alternative Metal.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

The solos from For Whom the Bell Tolls, those were the first I learned, minus some beatles ones. They're pretty simple.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Smells like teen spirit is an easy one.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
What techniques do most of the solos from bands you listen to contain? Write up a list of them then tackle them one by one with exercises that would help you. What solos are you getting KO'd by? Are you taking on solos that are too much for you at the moment?

Perhaps you should pick a solo thats not too hard, load it onto TuxGuitar and practice it at really slow speeds like 1/4th of the speed until you can play it perfectly then go up to 1/2ths. If you struggle with the jump from 1/4ths to 1/2ths then slow it down a little more.

Don't expect to get everything in a go and when you do not play a solo successfully, it's alright, noone was great without practice.

Hope that helps and won't just bore you.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
Is Tux Guitar compatible with Macs?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

You never learned the Weisses Fleisch or Heirate Mich solo? For shame!
The solo to Mother by Pink Floyd isn't too hard, and it sounds amazing. I say learn that.
Jackson Kelly KE3 w/P-Rails; Aria Pro II TSB-350
• ZVex Fuzz Factory; DigiTech Whammy; Danelectro Fish & Chips; Marshall ED1; Fulltone OCD; DigiTech Whammy; Marshall JMP1; Boss CE3; Vox AC4TV

EMU 0404; Reason/Record; M-Audio AV40
Expand your horizon to AC/DC, learn Highway To Hell, then Back In Black.

That little combo right there trained my fingers to move faster and from that point on solos became easier. It was for me though, not sure about you.

Surprised you play Disturbed and haven't learned one of their solos yet, Inside the fire is nothing.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Quote by Vlasco
You never learned the Weisses Fleisch or Heirate Mich solo? For shame!

Haha. A fellow Rammstein fan. Weisses Fleisch has got to be one of my favorite songs. The fact that its about raping a schoolgirl puts off my friends though. Im currently looking up the tabs of the songs you guys suggested.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Heirate Mich was my first solo ever, Weisses Fleisch was second. After that it´s just a blur though. Maybe Eagleheart by Stratovarius after that? Something cheesy was after Rammstein and think that was it.
I don;t know if you are into Alice in Chains but they have some great beginner solos. Nothing to hard, but incorporates a lot of diff techniques.....alt picking, legato, slides, bends...you get it all in a bluesy rock fashion.

Facelift...there first album....would be a great start for you.
whatever solo you are learning break it down into specific phrases then attack them untill you master it then move onto the next phrase.

knowing your scales helps and if you know your theory then everything is simple

learn every note on the fret board by name and sound so that when you bend a A on the 14th fret G up a whole tone you know that when you get so far with the bend you`ve sounded a B...etc.

there are standard shapes for the apreggios also but i`m not going to tab them give me £27 an hour and i would.
Also, looking for ones in Drop D or Standard because I have a FR and dont want to do too much tuning work.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

The first solo from December Flower by In Flames isn´t too hard and it is loads of fun. Just play a song as if it is in standard and don´t tune your guitar.
Quote by RockAddict311
Be creative and solo off songs by ear. Build ur imagination, it helps.

You can only do that if you have (at least) some basic knowledge of theory (scales, etc.). And judging by the OP, this guy probably doesn't know much theory, which would make it near impossible to solo by ear.

Anyway, some solos that are easy, but not piss easy and stupid like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" are...

AC/DC- Highway to Hell, Thunderstruck, and Hells Bells (which is probably my favorite).
Metallica- Enter Sandman, first 2 in Fade to black and One, and The Unforgiven.

Those are just a few fun ones. Some of them might have a harder section in it, that will require a little more practice. But if you work at it, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get the hang of it. Also, you don't NEED a metronome, but it sure does help.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

the first solo in The Trooper by Iron Maiden is not too hard, its a bit quick with some trills, but nothing very difficult.
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
the first part of the four horsemen and the last solo. it takes some practice but its all just different sections put together so its easy. another thing i do is look at the tab then make up your own stuff thats close and the better you get and more you practice add more. when you get that one look at whole lotta love by zeppelin, sounds complicated but not so much.
Anybody know of any free software that will allow me to slow down a song?
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Quote by VanTheKraut

http://www.freewebs.com/musicman1066/howilearnsongs.htm

Sorry for leading you to that kid's site, but a download link is there for a program that should suit your needs.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
go slooooooooooooooooooooooo o o o o o o wwwwww

and:
Quote by VanTheKraut

tuxguitar + guitar pro / powertab tabs

/thread
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Last edited by mlfarrell at Jul 15, 2009,
My first solo and complete song was Welcome to the Jungle. Smells like teen spirit was the easiest song i ever learned... it took less than 15 minutes to learn the complete song. Try some Nirvana stuff. It's pretty simple
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
If you don't have a metronome, split your practice time for that song between playing with the music and playing by yourself, that way you learn the song with the actual tempo, and then when you're playing alone you can hear all the dynamics of your playing and make every nuance perfect.

And yeah, my soloing sucks for the most part, too. Just break everything down and keep at it, the worst that come of practicing is getting better, so it cant hurt, right?
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Masters Apprentice - Opeth

Easy, sounds great, B Minor
Nuff said
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
the first solo i learned was the smells like teen spirit solo

then i learned the master of puppets solo
The solo in Living After Midnight is pretty easy. Its my first solo. Plus the song is fun to play along to.
Fender MIM Fat Strat
Jackson Dk2m Dinky Pro
Jackson DKMGT
Ibanez RG7321
Goya/Martin G812 Acoustic
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
Roland MicroCube