Hey guys, I'm the rehearsal stages of a new band of mine that is a lot more effects-heavy than anything I've ever done before.
In one of our songs there is a long fade in from a lead guitar line in the intro, and I need a pedal that can replicate that. It needs to be a smooth fade in (not like a volume knob, where gain is reduced etc, but totally smooth), and I don't intend on using distortion pedals, and I need as little tone loss as possible.
To get a jist of the kinda thing I'm looking for, we've got a few songs uploaded here:
http://myspace.com/secretcrowdsuk
The song in particular with the fade-in is 'Decrease The Movement'. On the track it is just mixed to fade in.
Any help would be much appreciated, cheers.
The Ernie Ball Volume Junior is my favourite.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Ernie Ball has a really good line of volume pedals. I own the passive full size one (i forgot what its called). Anyways, its passive so it doesnt need a powe adaptor or batteries and has two outputs, one for your tuner and the other to run to your other effects/amp. check it out.
My Gear:
Fender Am. Standard Stratocaster
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
Boss DD-20 Delay
Boss Chorus
Dunlop Cry Baby
Planet Waves Pedal Tuner
E-Bow
I would recommend teh Dunlop High-Gain volume pedal myself. I had nothing but problems with the Ernie Ball. Though, i will also add that the store i bought it from admitted it had been on the shelf for months and they had no idea what condition it was kept in.

I found it ate all my tone. I've had no issues with the Dunlop pedal.
I've never tried a volume pedal, but I'd recommend you check out the Morley stuff, since their quality control is always excellent.
Visual Sounds Volume Pedal?

Comes with cool blue LED lights!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Cheers for the responses guys!
I did watch a video of the Ernie Ball one and it didn't sound that great tbh, but I'll see if I can get one to try since some of you are recommending it.
Does anyone have any experience with that Boss one?
And I'll definitely look up the Dunlop High-Gain pedal now

Its volume pot strapped to a pedal.. How is that supposed to sound exactly? It lowers the volume and then raises the volume or acts like a volume knob on your guitar that is all...

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its volume pot strapped to a pedal.. How is that supposed to sound exactly? It lowers the volume and then raises the volume or acts like a volume knob on your guitar that is all...

No it doesn't. I want a constant amount of gain, which you don't get with a volume knob. On a volume knob, the gain cleans up as you turn it.
Quote by Steve The Plank
No it doesn't. I want a constant amount of gain, which you don't get with a volume knob. On a volume knob, the gain cleans up as you turn it.

Which is exactly what a volume pedal does if you drop infront of the amp.. Genius

And the point still stands how can something not sound good that doesnt pyshically produce sound or change the tone in any significant way. It lowers the volume and then raises the volume or acts like a volume knob on your guitar that is all...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Which is exactly what a volume pedal does if you drop infront of the amp.. Genius

And the point still stands how can something not sound good that doesnt pyshically produce sound or change the tone in any significant way. It lowers the volume and then raises the volume or acts like a volume knob on your guitar that is all...

I may be wrong, but doesn't it do what he's asking if you stick it in the FX Loop?
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
I may be wrong, but doesn't it do what he's asking if you stick it in the FX Loop?

That it does which has already been established.. My question to him was how can he say the ernie ball (a volume pedal) sounds bad from a video he watched.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

It didn't sound good because it was acting as a volume knob does, which is NOT what I'm after, and which I established in my original post.. Genius. Sure, it sounded fine for being a volume pot replica, I guess, though I've heard conflicting views about it being a tone-sucker and whatnot.

I have no idea whether it acts how I want it to if it goes in the FX loop or not - I mean, a video demo should be a pretty good way to judge something. At least, that's the point of them. There's no need to be a douche about it.
Last edited by Steve The Plank at Jul 17, 2009,
Quote by Steve The Plank
It didn't sound good because it was acting as a volume knob does, which is NOT what I'm after, and which I established in my original post.. Genius. Sure, it sounded fine for being a volume pot replica, I guess, though I've heard conflicting views about it being a tone-sucker and whatnot.

I have no idea whether it acts how I want it to if it goes in the FX loop or not - I mean, a video demo should be a pretty good way to judge something. At least, that's the point of them. There's no need to act all high and mighty about it.

Then its the dudes rig that sounds bad not the pedal like you stated, its just doing what it was made to do and thats acting like a volume pot. Its just a passive device that controls volume be it in the loop or infront of the amp. And what you just stated is exactly why I made the post. The irratating and high and mighty part is coming from you my friend. When you have someone ask a question only to be answered go with this one by multiple people. Then you pop off it sucks I watched a video on it that is irrelevant in the first place. So how can you say it sounds bad and judge it before you even try it.

Video demo's are the worst way to review any type of pedal or musical instrument. You are putting all your trust in there skills to hook up the device, work the device and record the device. I've seen hundreds of bad videos compared to actual good quality videos with people that know exactly what there doing. Ask anyone here its a well known fact videos are far from the best medium. The best option is testing it out yourself. Which is what you have to do with a volume pedal especially. Its the feel and options your after not if it lowers the volume or not that is a given.

Also it only sucks tone if you dont hook it up right or use the tuner port which a well known fact about it. If you heard it sucked tone then you should of also heard numerous times why and how to fix the issue.