Hey UG,

Right iv made a few of these threads lately and i now need to make my final choice so here we go.

I would very much like a stack (don't ask why) but i have a few things i need in an amp. I need it to be great with cleans and brilliant distortions.

I would have liked to go used and get something like a JCM 800 but my parents wont let me buy used .

I have a budget of about £700-but this would have to be cab and head.

So these are the things iv found so far:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=75492
I just dont no if this is valve?

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=82094
Again is this valve?

So which is best and what are they like. Have you got any better suggestions?

Thanks UG
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
neither are valve, and buying a halfstack is a waste of time and energy unless your gigging big venues.

Edit: and 'great cleans and brilliant distortion'? you have to compromise somewhere unless you wanna pay a lot more money, sorry dude, look at bugera combos, they have decent cleans and great metal voicing. and i wont ask i will simply tell you its pointless to buy a halfstack unless you need it, if your buying it to look cool you wont.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by ChiliFan01
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=71876

What about This?

Would it be loud enough for pub gigs!

yep, 20w class A should be fine, but its not gonne be great for heavier rock.

Edit: it will be awesome for cleans and smooth od but not balls to the wall distortion.
Try some Bugera's they are good for a lower budget. I like my 333XL very versitile
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Let's start this thread off right.

What kinds of music do you play, what's your budget, do you play in a band/gig?
God, they're both horrendous amps. Either go used, or buy a combo - there's no paticularly good stacks in your price range.

Here's my suggestion for a high-quality Frusciante-esque rock rig:

Bugera 1960 - £290
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_1960.htm

Framus 2x12" Cab with Vintage 30s - £234
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cb.htm

Ehm dude, "Help Me Make You Final Amp Choice!?!"??? How about fixing your grammar before getting that half-stack?
Last edited by Union Of V at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by Union Of V
Ehm dude, "Help Me Make You Final Amp Choice!?!"??? How about fixing your grammar before getting that half-stack?

because your a sad bastard let me explain to you in simple English that ?!? means a an excited question
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Quote by ChiliFan01
because your a sad bastard let me explain to you in simple English that ?!? means a an excited question

He meant the words, have you re-read your title since you typed it?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
oh crap
My Gig Rig...

I've seen a bunch of "I want a new amp" threads from you

If your gonna get a half-stack, I'd go with a head with lower watts than a JCM800. Maybe around like 20 or 30 watts, 50 max, cuz its not like your going to be playing big shows.

EDIT: Or you could take a look at the Blackheart Handsome Devil. It's not necessarily a high gain amp and its not a multi-channel amp, if that's what your looking for, but it has a drive knob that can come in handy and its very reminiscent of a Marshall amp. Its $350 for the head and $450 to buy in half-stack form (the cabinet it comes with is only 1x12, but I think there might be a 4x12 by Blackheart... If not you could always go out and get whatever cab you need). I'm not sure how much that would be in euros though.
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
God, they're both horrendous amps. Either go used, or buy a combo - there's no paticularly good stacks in your price range.

Here's my suggestion for a high-quality Frusciante-esque rock rig:

Bugera 1960 - £290
http://www.thomann.de/gb/bugera_1960.htm

Framus 2x12" Cab with Vintage 30s - £234
http://www.thomann.de/gb/framus_fr212_cb.htm

I quite Like the look of these actually do they sound good?
My Gig Rig...

First of all what music do you play?

Also do you need a two channel amp? (One channel for clean and one for overdrive)
Quote by Zakk_Lp
First of all what music do you play?

Also do you need a two channel amp? (One channel for clean and one for overdrive)

Yeah id like twin channel i play alot of RHCP and vintage rock etc.
My Gig Rig...

Whats the heaviest you go?

And what do you class as vintage rock?

And is there no way you can go used?
'Cause i mean i got a fully working DSL off of ebay for £460 and there now going for £820 on GAK
Quote by Zakk_Lp
Whats the heaviest you go?

And what do you class as vintage rock?

And is there no way you can go used?
'Cause i mean i got a fully working DSL off of ebay for £460 and there now going for £820 on GAK

Heaviest Is RATM really.

Well id love to go used but my parents go " we only care about you we dont want you to buy something and it turn out to be a scam of for it to be brocken" believe me iv tried everything
My Gig Rig...

And will you be playin' in a band or anything where you can push a loud amps volume?

Because that Bugera suggest would be nice from what i've heard its just that its single channel, tbh i'd talk to some other people on here cause alot of them have much more experience than i do but all that information would help them.
Sorry, looking at your sig is distracting me...it makes little sense along with the current question...

Anyway, don't get any of those amps, they look awful, get a
LANEY VC-30
It's ****in loud and great vintage tones, really great amp

Since it matters loads to you, yes it is all tube and it shows it.
Quote by SLonergan
I think the Raw Power guitars look like badly painted Easter Eggs.

Peter Green Jimi Hendrix Tom Morello Joe Bonamassa John Frusciante Eric Clapton Paul Gilbert B.B. King
Quote by ChiliFan01
I quite Like the look of these actually do they sound good?

Pretty damn good, yeah, especially for the price. Bugera isn't all that bad at all, and £250 for a Plexi clone is unbelieveable.

Thinking about it, the Bugera 1990 (JCM900 clone) might be better for your music though. The 1960 is a clone of the Marshall Plexi - which is an amazing amp, but perhaps lacking in versatility. The only 'gain' it has built in is the volume control, sao it's basically a clean amp until it's turned up blisteringly loud. If you've got a few decent pedals that's not a problem though.
Whereas the 1990/JCM900 has tons of preamp gain so you won't need several dirt pedals to get a hard rock sound.
I'd suggest swapping the power tubes for standard El34s eventually, to bring the volume down to 100W.

The Framus cab is pretty much pro-quality.
Last edited by kyle62 at Jul 15, 2009,
Im suprised Dean Hasn't sued Laney yet claiming there taking away Dime sheep business lol

Anyway a good JCM clone is the Peavey Windsor and you can always get a good 2x12 cab to go along with it. And then later on pickup a better clean amp and run the two in your rig.
Quote by kyle62
Pretty damn good, yeah, especially for the price. Bugera isn't all that bad at all, and £250 for a Plexi clone is unbelieveable.

Thinking about it, the Bugera 1990 (JCM900 clone) might be better for your music though. The 1960 is a clone of the Marshall Plexi - which is an amazing amp, but perhaps lacking in versatility. The only 'gain' it has built in is the volume control, sao it's basically a clean amp until it's turned up blisteringly loud. If you've got a few decent pedals that's not a problem though.
Whereas the 1990/JCM900 has tons of preamp gain so you won't need several dirt pedals to get a hard rock sound.
I'd suggest swapping the power tubes for standard El34s eventually, to bring the volume down to 100W.

The Framus cab is pretty much pro-quality.

That vintage isn't really for vintage tones thought, and he wanted a two channel amp
Quote by Zakk_Lp
That vintage isn't really for vintage tones thought, and he wanted a two channel amp

Vintage 30s are pretty versatile speakers, and work very well for classic rock. And as for the two channel business....honestly, what's the difference between pressing a footswitch to toggle clean/gain and pressing an overdrive pedal?
Crap that was a typo, i ment to say 'That 900 isn't really for vintage tones'

And yeahh but he might be like me, i don't use any overdrive pedals often and i use both of my pickups quite alot. For me it'd be hard using a single channel amp live, because i'd need to keep configuring my guitar controlles and what not when im trying to focus on playing well and putting on a good show.
So i should go for the 1990
My Gig Rig...

I wouldn't personally cause its not very vintaged voiced and its single channel I played a proper marshall JCM900 (which that is a clone off) and i didn't like it.
Bugera makes other good models too. I haven't played the 1990 but check out the 6262, 6260, and 333xl. Very versitile amps
I hate my sig
iv watched some youtube videos of the 1990 and i really like it...
My Gig Rig...