Didn't receive any answers in GG&A so I thought I would try here:

I have an Ibanez RG570 and the guy I bought it from customized it with a 9v preamp for a boost and added EQ. I really want nothing to do with this and would prefer a standard tone pot and passive setup. I brought it to this guy I know to see if he can remove all of it and he said all I would need is a new tone pot for it.

Is there a specific one I need to buy?

And I don't understand the whole 250k/500k thing. Will that matter?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
The higher the value of the pot, the brighter the tone.
This is why 250K are traditionally used with single coils; to try and 'tame' some of the treble. Vice versa with humbuckers.

It won't matter all that much.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Ok, so I'll go with 500k pots.

Are there any specific ones I would need, or would any work?

Thanks for the response
500k is generally for humbuckers and 250k is generally for singles. the higher the value, the more highs you get. You can play around with different values. If you want it even brighter, then you can go for 1000k or 1Meg. Pretty sure your guitar takes short split shaft pots. Also try to get audio taper. It's a tone pot so it doesn't matter much whether if it's audio or linear taper.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
you'll need some "audio-tapers", i think they're called in english. they scale logarithmic (spelling) to give a more natural volume change. this is because sound scales logarithmic to sound twice as loud.

edit: if it's a tone, you don't need an audio taper.
Last edited by ziggymidget at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by David Collins
Yes, actually it's important that you only use audio taper pots for tone, typically the stronger the sweep the better. Linear pots are great for volumes, and many factory guitars come equipped this way. For tones however, a linear pot will only act as an on/off switch at around 1.
Linear pots are horrible for volume in a single volume scheme.

They do have benefits in 2-volume wiring, though.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.