Ok so I'm learning Music Theory I just started not that long ago on Major Scales I know there is 12. All the sharp notes are flat scales. But on the Internet some people have F# Major, C# Major and G# Major. Should I reference them even though they are the same notes in flats that I have in my book. I just don't want to drop them if they will serve a purpose in the future towards something else in Music Theory.

This is in my book for Major Scales

C Major
Db Major
D Major
Eb Major
E Major
F Major
Gb Major
G Major
Ab Major
A Major
Bb Major
B Major
Last edited by ColinMc at Jul 15, 2009,
You have F# Major there....just written as Gb......its the same note....and all major scales are the same interval so its exactly the same.
I knew they were the same I just needed to know if it was important to write it down for key signitures or something like that.
They're the same notes, but if you were to write, for example, A# major:

A# B# D D# E# G A

And, it's messy- by convention, we try to have one of each letter in a scale, since it's easier/less ambiguous to write a key signature for, and is less messy when we come to use accidentals. If you were to write that "normally", it'd be

A# B# C## D# E# F## G##

And that's not nice at all.

If you called that A# Bb, you'd get

Bb C D Eb F G A

Which has a key signature of 2 flats. It'd be silly to use a signature with 10 sharps (which would be A# major if we ever used it), and if you were to use a sharp accidental you'd have triple sharp intervals, which is ridiculous.

However, yeah, A# is the same note as Bb, but has a different function in a scale- A# would be an augmented fourth in E, for example, while Bb would be a diminished 5th.
Last edited by MopMaster at Jul 15, 2009,
Quote by MopMaster
They're the same notes, but if you were to write, for example, A# major:

A# B# D D# E# G A

And, it's messy- by convention, we try to have one of each letter in a scale, since it's easier/less ambiguous to write a key signature for, and is less messy when we come to use accidentals. If you were to write that "normally", it'd be

A# B# C## D# E# F## G##

And that's not nice at all.

If you called that A# Bb, you'd get

Bb C D Eb F G A

Which has a key signature of 2 flats. It'd be silly to use a signature with 10 sharps (which would be A# major if we ever used it), and if you were to use a sharp accidental you'd have triple sharp intervals, which is ridiculous.

However, yeah, A# is the same note as Bb, but has a different function in a scale- A# would be an augmented fourth in E, for example, while Bb would be a diminished 5th.

Ok thanks for clearing that up good thing I did make all the sharp notes flat scales.
F# major is enharmonic to Gb major. As in, they sound the same; they are only different on paper. For the most part these types of instances are safely interchangeable -- you can use F# major anywhere you would use Gb major and visa versa. There are a few keys, though, that should be avoided and there enharmonic equivalent used instead, like A# major. MopMaster already covered that
i don't know why i feel so dry