Dave Chappelle held an impromptu block party in the middle of Pioneer Courthouse Square (considered to be the heart of Portland (Oregon)) last night! He seriously misjudged the crowd and brought only a battery-powered VOX amp as a sound system, as he thought there was only going to be a couple hundred people..

The article says there were over 4000 people there. It was absolutely crazy, there were tits being shown everywhere and Chappelle cracking jokes. It was really really cool.

EDIT: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/dave_chappelle_shows_up_fills.html

btw I was walking with my friend and we added ourselves into the group of like 20 people outside his hotel and got to talk with him and stuff.

what a mysterious comedian. Everyone knows him from his show, but he had his breakdown or whatever, went to africa, and then after 5 years decided to come hold a thing like this in portland (of all places) which was spread by word of mouth

anyway, just thought it was a cool experience. thoughts?
OoOoOoOoOo--oOoOoOoOoO
no, he did have somewhat of a breakdown. I think his comedy goes beyond using the N word. His **** is funny i think. Maybe I'm biased, being from DC, but he's one of my favorite stand up comics
Quote by lefthandman9876
ehh i dont like him, hes up there with chris rock as just one of those people that drop the N word constantly and call it comedy, Sh*t was funny when richard pryor did it, just derivitive and dated now.

WRONG!
I miss the Chappelle show!
Quote by EchoxOath
SG has officially won this thread.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
there are no words to describe how truly epic this is.

Quote by SGstriker
I think you win the award for the coolest member of '08
I remember the early chappelle's show, ****ing hirlarious!

then it went to the 'lost episodes' and i was really confused. did he have a breakdown and go to africa and everything, or did he just not want to stay in the show? some clarification would be nice.
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
He didn't like everything that came along with being famous. He said from the beginning in some of his first stand-up "I hope this **** don't make me famous," so he quit comedy to focus on things like his family etc.
Quote by RATM forever
I remember the early chappelle's show, ****ing hirlarious!

then it went to the 'lost episodes' and i was really confused. did he have a breakdown and go to africa and everything, or did he just not want to stay in the show? some clarification would be nice.
He didn't like that people were laughing directly at the stereotypes and not the idea of the stereotypes. Particularly the Pixie skit when he was in blackface.

In other words, he was hurting with his satire more than he was helping.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
That's a pretty cool story TS.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by element4433
He didn't like that people were laughing directly at the stereotypes and not the idea of the stereotypes. Particularly the Pixie skit when he was in blackface.

In other words, he was hurting with his satire more than he was helping.

yea i remember that one, i thought it was pretty funny.

That makes sense, but most of his stuff wasnt satire like that, so im surprised he just left.
"To me it seems pretty straightforward. There are two opinions one can have about freedom of speech, you're for it or against it." - Tom Morello

Shackled Our Minds When You're Bent on the Cross... When Ignorance Reigns, Life is Lost
Dave Chappelle is so funny. One of my favorites. I'm jealous of you, TS.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
That's a pretty cool story TS.

Indeed.

It'd go great in a BLOG
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by SGburnsRED
I miss the Chappelle show!

me too, me too
Sounds like? - "A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU"RE LISTENING TO ON YOUR IPOD RIGHT NOW!"
- Steel Panther
The show was ruined by people quoting it and trying to do impressions all the time. And all the reruns.
Quote by BlackLuster
Indeed.

It'd go great in a BLOG

I was serious. Don't be an ass.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
Wait, Portland? Are black people even allowed there?

you spelled Colorado wrong
OoOoOoOoOo--oOoOoOoOoO
Quote by alaskan_ninja

lmao
Como te
coming from a guy that says nig*a a lot...he looks like a guy that says nig*a a lot
"If the good die young, we'll fucking live forever"

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital Warts > What Separates Me From You

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital warts, what separates me from you
"they Ate Me! A F*cking Shark, Ate Me!"
Quote by thesceneislame
coming from a guy that says nig*a a lot...he looks like a guy that says nig*a a lot

lol that one was funny too.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

South Carolina Gamecocks

Quote by SGstriker
Chef Strato-Massacre: Cooking shitstorms since that comment.

Quote by PurpleClawz
Damnit why are you full of so much win
Last edited by Strato-Massacre at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by alaskan_ninja

That's what I was thinking ...

Dave Chappelle is one of the funniest Americans alive. I have heard how grueling the production was for The Chapelle Show and how that played a part in his breakdown. I'm glad he's still true to stand-up and considers most of Hollywood bull****.
Quote by lefthandman9876
ehh i dont like him, hes up there with chris rock as just one of those people that drop the N word constantly and call it comedy, Sh*t was funny when richard pryor did it, just derivitive and dated now.

that is such a gross underestimation and you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. both chappelle and rock are two of the most brilliant comedians working. you don't understand them at all. what you're saying is tantamount to the people who say "south park isn't good anymore because the crude humor is just boring now." the crude humor was never the point of south park. it's one of the best societal/political satires ever made. likewise, both comedians you mentioned have a knack for observations about our culture and that's why they're so funny and popular.
#DTWD
I really love Dave Chappelle. He's one of my favorite comedians next to George Carlin. He left the show and comedy and everything because he didn't like being just known for that I think. He said something along the lines of him being in Walt Disney World with his kids and people would just run up to him and say "I'm Rick James, bitch!" and laugh and expect him to do it. But he just wanted to live a normal life with his family. I don't blame him, but I'm really glad he seems to be having fun again.

You're very lucky TS.
Quote by lefthandman9876

Hahahahahaha, no.
i really loved dave, i wish he'd come back and atleast do a comedy tour if not bringing back his show, Comedy Central could really use his show back
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
his excat words on why he canclled the show "i felt like a wh0re."
Quote by iantheman
I laughed at someone for breaking his g-string, and got sigged

Quote by Veil Of Osiris

You just made me spit out my Kool-Aid all over my keyboard.

sorry
Last edited by wesleyisgay at Jul 16, 2009,
is wayne brady gonna have to choke a b*tch?
"If the good die young, we'll fucking live forever"

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital Warts > What Separates Me From You

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital warts, what separates me from you
Quote by lefthandman9876

Really? Most of what I've seen him do has nothing to do with shock words.

For example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUmYGLIubho

and:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM4jjN3m-TQ
Quote by GuitarGod_92
I feel like I should pay you in sexual favors for that truly fapic story.

Quote by esther_mouse
Aww thank you sweetie Made my day a little bit brighter.

^that post and others like it made mine a Lot brighter.
He lives 20 minutes from my house. Some of my friends who live out there see him walking around Yellow Springs, OH, all the time.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Quote by Night_Lights

"Get it together, grouch".
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
Last edited by YourDad at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by primusfan
that is such a gross underestimation and you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. both chappelle and rock are two of the most brilliant comedians working. you don't understand them at all. what you're saying is tantamount to the people who say "south park isn't good anymore because the crude humor is just boring now." the crude humor was never the point of south park. it's one of the best societal/political satires ever made. likewise, both comedians you mentioned have a knack for observations about our culture and that's why they're so funny and popular.

word.

and I LOVE the sesame street one. one of my all-time favorites
OoOoOoOoOo--oOoOoOoOoO
Quote by jbridge90
Dammit!!! Why did I move to Seattle

hey seattle is like portland's big brother
OoOoOoOoOo--oOoOoOoOoO
any1 heard of the Chapelle Theory??? they took the website so this is just what i remember from a few years ago.

basically, it says sumthing along the lines of Dave Chapelle was supported early in his career by important black people like Bill Cosby and Al Sharpton, but then when he started doin his jokes that put the black community in a bad light, like Tyrone Biggums the crackhead, and saying the word ******, Bill Cosby and Al Sharpton threatened to hurt him and his family, thus he dropped out the spotlight immeadiately.
Quote by lefthandman9876

Agreed