Well to start no I dont have a EE degree, and such, and I want to mod a kit. Now before we go all this 'High voltage you can kill yourself' bull****, I want to know some simple things. I was lookin at ax84.com. And there amp kits sound like a good place to start on making a tube amp head, that I want. Now I was wondering, I know your power tubes are what gives you most your wattage (So I understand, so please straighten me out if I am wrong) do you hook up your power tubes, in series, to get more wattage or what, cause I want to take there, well biggest kit, and make it into a 75 watt or so single channel head. So thank you guys in advance.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gretsch Electromatic 5120
Amp
Crate V33H head w/ Berhinger B412S
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is my pet bunny. Will you play with my bunny?
(")_(")
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Well to start no I dont have a EE degree, and such, and I want to mod a kit. Now before we go all this 'High voltage you can kill yourself' bull****, I want to know some simple things. I was lookin at ax84.com. And there amp kits sound like a good place to start on making a tube amp head, that I want. Now I was wondering, I know your power tubes are what gives you most your wattage (So I understand, so please straighten me out if I am wrong) do you hook up your power tubes, in series, to get more wattage or what, cause I want to take there, well biggest kit, and make it into a 75 watt or so single channel head. So thank you guys in advance.

AX84 kits are awesome. I'll be doing a kit build tutorial on one shortly here, building their SEL.

To go more wattage (at least like how you're describing), you'd need to build a Push-Pull amp, which means you'd need to build an entirely new amp. Have you played a tube amp before? Unless you're gigging 5-10 watts is all you'll ever need. And if you do gig, you'll probably have a mic and PA.

You can parallel tubes in SE amps for more output power, but for 75 watts your output transformer would be HUGE.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
I suggest working on a SS amp before diving into building tube amps.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by LesPaulCowboy
Never.
There are two paths for getting more power out of a pair of a particular type of tube:
Parallel. Both tubes are still connected in a single-ended fashion, but the elements are basically in parallel. This allows more current and hence, more power.
Push-pull. This requires a transformer with at center tap on the primary. The power from the B+ is applied to the center tap, rather than one end of the primary. Each of the two output tubes is responsible for one half of the cycle. This is a more efficient configuration. You can get more than double the power of a single ended amp with one output tube of that same type. The requirements are a bit more complex, though. You need to provide an out of phase signal to the grid of one of the output tubes.

You can also connect a quad of output tubes with 2 pairs of parallel tubes in push-pull.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Yeah I own a tube amp, and I want to make a amp HEAD so I can plug in my half stack into it, so all I would really need there is to replace the speakers, with a jack, on the back. As fro a transformer, It wouldn't be HUGE. I mean if a little peavy cranks 100, and its transformers is a regualr size, then I guess it wouldn't be huge. and I don't wnat to do a push pull. I want to make a head using one of there kits. Do I gig? a lil, mostly just with the half stack adn a head. My current head is a whole wap 33 wats with small EL84's the distort quick. I want to build one of these amps, into a head (Make the whole thing) so I can have a single channel amp that has EL34's. Get where I am coming from guys? But someoneyouknew, can you send me in the direction of a document that would explain the parallel thing to me, so I may understand it more? Thank you for the help.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")
Here is a company that makes transformers, along with other things. I'm just helping out DLRocket's case. These are ALL single ended amps. If you look at the "1642SE" you'll see that it is rated at 75 watts, and it weighs 28 pounds. That is a huge transformer. (And it costs $400).

http://www.hammondmfg.com/1627.htm

It would be wiser to build a 50 watt push-pull, or I suggest making a 20 watt. Either single ended or push pull.

Here's a great resource about most questions you'll have about building a tube amp. Check out the output stage section for push-pull vs SE.

http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/
Last edited by end_citizen at Jul 16, 2009,
Why 75 watts? Mine's 60 watts, and I've rarely turned the master volume past 5, because it is too loud. I like loud, but not ear-bleeding loud.
Quote by Little_Buster
I suggest working on a SS amp before diving into building tube amps.

why? SS amps are waaaay more complicated and harder to work on the tube amps...
Thank you guys, now I am lost on the push pull thing, explain how it works, and would let me have mroe power, cause well, it sounds intresting.
Guitar
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Amp
Effects
Crybaby
Keely BD2
(\__/)
(")_(")