Page 1 of 4

Until the Light Takes Us is a documentary of the early 1990s black metal scene in Norway. Featuring interviews with Varg Vikernes, Fenriz of Darkthrone and other foundational members of the early black metal community, it is a documentary meant to appreciate black metal the way it should always have been: as an artistic movement against the modern world, gravitating toward mythic imagination through intense music, murder and fire.

Until the Light Takes Us homepage

Has anyone actually seen this yet? Looks like they have lots of footage of Varg and Fenriz, not sure what the rest is like.
Have not seen it but it's the only Black Metal documentary that I have ever considered taking seriously.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Jul 15, 2009,
I heard that the director of this documentary film is morbid_death.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
They are obnoxious when they are drunk.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by Shabadoo
I just hope it has an interview with Mayhem where they're drunk.

"What's tha-- who the fuck are you talking to? Fuck them-- yeah I have a statement, FUCK YOU!"

Greatest interview ever.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Hate "Black Metal documentaries"

Age of the god damned internet.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
i started a thread almost indentical to this and it was shunned, laughed at and closed

but i'd deffo be interested in seeing this.
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Like he would want to start a band with some chump 13 year old... get real you fukking idiot. Everyone can see straight through your bull**** lies.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Yes, because I'm 13...

And I could send you the e-mail he sent me if it really matters to you. We had a few e-mail exchanges, and then he decided it wasn't a good idea because of the age width. However, my old keyboardist (age 25) also got asked by him but he turned it down.
Quote by duncang
I heard that the director of this documentary film is morbid_death.

lolwut.
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Yes, because I'm 13...

And I could send you the e-mail he sent me if it really matters to you. We had a few e-mail exchanges, and then he decided it wasn't a good idea because of the age width. However, my old keyboardist (age 25) also got asked by him but he turned it down.

Poop
Last edited by mortiis999 at Jul 15, 2009,
Yeah, but that's going to be an actual movie, not some documentary. Although it's quite ridiculous. I'm sure Varg won't care too much, we all know he wants as much publicity as possible.

Using Boards of Canada and Sun O))) for music.

Seems fascinating. At least it's focusing on the philosophy of black metal rather than the history of it. Something Headbanger's Journey actually never really went in.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
^ that got really bad press in norway because it pretty much said was "norwegian bands burn churches" so he went back and did a short half hour film about norwegian black metal where he talks about viking metal for a bit.
it's really boring and ****.
illustration student - happy to do any band artwork/logos
some of my work can be seen at:

theGentleSquid

This looks awesome...Apparently the "Lords of Chaos" movie is going to be a "Psychological Thriller". RIP Black Metal. That's all I have to say...
No Emotion...Death Is All I Need
Quote by Cianyx
At least it's focusing on the philosophy of black metal rather than the history of it. Something Headbanger's Journey actually never really went in.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

From the website:

"In 1991, Norwegian churches started to burn, just after an underground circle of metal musicians had formed. While reporters and police scrambled for answers, more and more churches went up in flames. They had no leads until Varg Vikernes, one of the architects of an underground music-art-political scene known as BLACK MEAL took credit and was quickly arrested. While he was in police custody, the media ran a largely fabricated story of satanic rituals, abductions and sacrifices. This film reveals the true story behind the music, murders and church burnings, and shows what happened when these young men, who tried to change the world using music, art and violence, found that they could not control what they had created."

Also worth seeing:

Until the Light Takes Us trailer (1:33)
Is there any way to download this video? It's not on Amazon or anything..
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by xChristgrindeRx
Yes, because I'm 13...

wow, cool =-)
I just noticed your sig changed to TTFAF, I didn't know you liked teh Force

anyway, has anyone seen this yet and is it worth watching?
Quote by craig-sansum
+10000000000000000000000000000000000

Quote by Sanitarium91
Liking the cosmic toad vocals is a sign of exquisite taste, so good on you!
The philosophy of black metal? Oh God..no...

I honestly don't care about these gr1m badasses hailing satan and burning churches left and right, because it seems like that's all black metal is too them.

Unless this movie encompasses all aspects of black metal (including more modern divergences of it like Sigh and WITTR) I don't have high hopes for this. But, hopefully, it proves me wrong.
Last edited by technicolour at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by technicolour
Unless this movie encompasses all aspects of black metal (including more modern divergences of it like Sigh and WITTR) I don't have high hopes for this.

Do you think Sigh and WITTR are artistically and musically as good as Burzum and Darkthrone from the early 1990s?
Last edited by Conservationist at Jul 16, 2009,
Quote by Conservationist
Do you think Sigh and WITTR are artistically and musically as good as Burzum and Darkthrone from the early 1990s?

well..I was going to say I think they are in fact better, but I won't, because I find them difficult to compare, even though they are closely related. I do think, however, both bands I mentioned have a more mature attitude towards their music, although I don't know any of the members personally, so I could be wrong.

Song writing-wise, I'm not sure which I'd say is better, because I haven't listened to enough burzum or darkthrone.

Oh edit - I guess, yes, I think the bands I mentioned are artistically better, assuming we're using the word "artistic" in the same context.
Quote by Conservationist

I'm not the guy who originally mentioned Sigh, but I do think Sigh are pretty damn good. I do like their earlier stuff more than their newer sorta avant-garde stuff, but still.

However, black metal wasn't all "BURN TEH CHURCHES MUST BE GR1M!", that was just during the time of Euronymous. And hell, even then not everybody in the BM scene was like that. In fact, the only people I can name off the top of my head that were/are like that are Gaahl, Euronymous and Varg (and Varg snapped out of it a couple years into his prison sentence).
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by MyNameIsLame

However, black metal wasn't all "BURN TEH CHURCHES MUST BE GR1M!", that was just during the time of Euronymous. And hell, even then not everybody in the BM scene was like that. In fact, the only people I can name off the top of my head that were/are like that are Gaahl, Euronymous and Varg (and Varg snapped out of it a couple years into his prison sentence).

While I agree with this, it would seem that most documentaries, including this one, will/do focus on Varg, Euronymous and Gaahl.
Quote by technicolour
While I agree with this, it would seem that most documentaries, including this one, will/do focus on Varg, Euronymous and Gaahl.

Aye, that's very true. I think somebody should make a documentary on all black metal (and its derivatives). Everything from Bathory/Venom/Celtic Frost (and Hellhammer) to Mayhem/Darkthrone/Burzum to Sigh/Dimmu Borgir (even though I'm not a fan of them)/Gallhammer/A Forest of Stars.

Like, from proto-black metal to Norwegian black metal to what the Norwegians inspired.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by technicolour
well..I was going to say I think they are in fact better, but I won't, because I find them difficult to compare, even though they are closely related. I do think, however, both bands I mentioned have a more mature attitude towards their music, although I don't know any of the members personally, so I could be wrong.

Song writing-wise, I'm not sure which I'd say is better, because I haven't listened to enough burzum or darkthrone.

Oh edit - I guess, yes, I think the bands I mentioned are artistically better, assuming we're using the word "artistic" in the same context.

OK, I'd be confused but I think your middle paragraph basically says you'd like to listen to more Burzum and Darkthrone to have an opinion. I think that's wise, specifically their earlier stuff. Recent Darkthrone at least... is goofy.
Quote by MyNameIsLame

You may have forgotten Emperor. Gaahl was a minor player at the time, at best.

Bands that stayed out of the mess: Enslaved, Immortal, Satyricon.

Everyone else had something happen -- a murder, a church burning, and so on. Many were connected to Nazism and/or Communism (Euronymous).

But that isn't why we worship early 1990s Norwegian black metal... it's because the music was amazing.

Early works:

* Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
* Enslaved - Vikinglgr Veldi
* Gorgoroth - Antichrist
* Immortal - Pure Holocaust
* Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
* Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon
* Mayhem - De Mysteriis
* Graveland - The Celtic Winter

Not all norse, but all early classics. If you haven't heard those, you will not understand why this documentary is being made (IMHO).
Page 1 of 4