I just finished (mostly) a strat-style guitar.

Quick review - Starcaster body (basswood), mighty mite neck satin finish, klusson tuners, mex strat bridge with a thick steel tremolo block to replace tiny zinc one, standard strat pu's, fender bullet strings

my problem is this - my high e-string is plinky sounding. The sound rings just enough to be tuned. but when open it doesn't ring out like it should.

the string tree (chrome and not the roller kind) hold down the b and e strings (the b string is kinda having the same issue) and is spaced so that it is closer to the g string, a litle closer to the D. I mention this because I think this is the problem. Did i install the string tree too close to the nut? too far away?

Or could it be something else?

thanks
Quote by ohspyro89
Definitely sounds like a nut problem. I'd suggest looking into a new nut. Plastic ones are usually garbage.

Yep.

I've the same problem on my LP, I need a new nut.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
so what then, Graphite?
and I have been adjusting the sadles (sorry, didn't mention that) but I think I need to get someone with more experience to do it. I've been playing for ten years now, but the guitars i've bought have only needed minimal adjustments (and sometimes I had to get a friend to do it to get it done right)

thanks everyone!
just a side note. Can anyone tell me how to post pics on this forum?
Quote by beib185
just a side note. Can anyone tell me how to post pics on this forum?

sure.
(Invalid img)

Just remove the space in the end tag.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.