I'm building a website. I've got it centered by including an auto margin-width DIV inside a 100%-width DIV. This works just fine on Firefox, but Internet Explorer is pushing it off to the left as if it were left-aligned. Any ideas how to fix this?

Relevant code is below.

DIV.MOAD
{
	position: relative;
	top: 0px;
	left: 0px;
	width: 100%;
	height: 100%;
	background-color: #001057;
}

DIV.innerMOAD
{
	position: relative;
	top: 0px;
	background-color: #001057;
	width: 800px;
	height: 100%;
	overflow: hidden;
	margin: auto;
}

Problem's been solved

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Last edited by SteveHouse at Jul 15, 2009,
dont get technical in here mate, theres alot of bassists and drummers here, they might read that and thier heads explode
HAVE A NICE DAY!
Internet Explorer doesn't accept auto when I tried to use it in my Gaia online profile some 6 years ago or somefink. Try center, if your trying to do what I think you are. My CSS is long rusty.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by BlackandSilver
Internet Explorer doesn't accept auto when I tried to use it in my Gaia online profile some 6 years ago or somefink. Try center, if your trying to do what I think you are. My CSS is long rusty.

That will center the text too, won't it?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by thegreenmile
dont get technical in here mate, theres alot of bassists and drummers here, they might read that and thier heads explode

Pointless post is pointless.

I say just put "website looks best in Firefox", as long as it's still the same, but just left sided, it'll be alright

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
ie generally sucks. i used to spend time making sure everything worked across browsers, but now i've given up.

microsoft have actually removed ie from windows 7, so soon it will be obsolete.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
You need to use text-align:center. It's the only workaround. Don't worry about the text since you will style it separately later.
Quote by ttreat31
You need to use text-align:center. It's the only workaround. Don't worry about the text since you will style it separately later.

I guess I hadn't thought about styling the text to the left in each other section Thanks man, off to check this.

SHEdit: Worked.

This thread is now officially about IE not being in Windows 7, because if that's a true rumor....

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Last edited by SteveHouse at Jul 15, 2009,

+1, that's gonna make it work.
Quote by SteveHouse
I guess I hadn't thought about styling the text to the left in each other section Thanks man, off to check this.

No problem. Individual styling is a good habit to get into. It gives you a whole lot more control over your content's styling.
Quote by ttreat31

This
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
go to dreamweaver and use the browser compatibility tool, deeeerrrr... i know whats wrong but you gotta learn on your own
Quote by cainmd
go to dreamweaver and use the browser compatibility tool, deeeerrrr... i know whats wrong but you gotta learn on your own

*is too poor for real tools and prefers DiY anyway*

*also has already had working solution offered*

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Web development is the dregs of Computer Science. CSS+HTML = puke.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by cainmd

I would strongly avoid this. WYSIWYG editors have a tendency to create horrendous code. It might get the job done, but chances are it won't be xHTML valid. I use DW, but only the code window.
Quote by darkstar2466
Web development is the dregs of Computer Science. CSS+HTML = puke.

I was lucky, out of all the CS courses I had to take in University, the only programming course I had to take was Python, Java and C++. Then again, having 15 different courses on routing protocols wasn't fun at all...
Quote by Grindar
I was lucky, out of all the CS courses I had to take in University, the only programming course I had to take was Python, Java and C++. Then again, having 15 different courses on routing protocols wasn't fun at all...

There is great elegance in a language like C that can operate at the assembly level and also at a high level. There is great elegance in a true object oriented language like Ruby where everything, even a number, is an object.

The web languages are so wack. There is nothing elegant about them. Sure there are frameworks to make web programming easier, but trying to integrate HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, AJAX, and MySQL all together is the lamest thing ever.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466

The web languages are so wack. There is nothing elegant about them. Sure there are frameworks to make web programming easier, but trying to integrate HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, AJAX, and MySQL all together is the lamest thing ever.

I don't get why it's so much to ask for it all to be a single language, rather than trying to get them to talk to each other.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by SteveHouse
I don't get why it's so much to ask for it all to be a single language, rather than trying to get them to talk to each other.

Flexibility for one thing.
Quote by ttreat31
Compared to programming, HTML/CSS is child's play.

And programming isn't?

I learnt stuff like REBOL and PowerShell out of a book, and used them for critical government applications within a month of first learning them. Sure, programming is boring, but it's not difficult at all.
Quote by ttreat31
Flexibility for one thing.

Yes it is highly flexible, but the languages are way shabby. Thank the lawd for decent object oriented PHP that was recently released. It used to be a pain in the ass a few years ago.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Grindar
And programming isn't?

I learnt stuff like REBOL and PowerShell out of a book, and used them for critical government applications within a month of first learning them. Sure, programming is boring, but it's not difficult at all.

Sure, but OOP for example has a whole different level of comprehension. Compared to HTML, programming (particularly OOP) is much more involved.
Quote by ttreat31
Sure, but OOP for example has a whole different level of comprehension. Compared to HTML, programming (particularly OOP) is much more involved.

True, true...
Anyhoo. Death to IE. Shittyass program...
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
Anyhoo. Death to IE. Shittyass program...

Yes, and YouTube is dropping support for IE6. IE6 is a web developer's biggest nightmare.
Quote by ttreat31
Compared to programming, HTML/CSS is child's play.

No it's not. Because IE doesn't respect standards and doesn't give the output you should get. It's like a compiler that doesn't work. (But you realise it's the compiler after an hour of checking your code, over and over again).

Quote by Grindar
And programming isn't?

Critical government applications on Windows? x_X
Quote by n00bje
No it's not. Because IE doesn't respect standards and doesn't give the output you should get. It's like a compiler that doesn't work. (But you realise it's the compiler after an hour of checking your code, over and over again).

Ignoring older versions of IE of course. IE8 is standards compliant as far as I know.